Heceta Head and Yaquina Head Lighthouse

KKappleKKapple Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited October 12, 2009 in Landscapes
Took these on my trip along the Oregon Coast.
Commenets always welcome.

Heceta_Head_lighthouse.jpg

Heceta_Head_lighthouse_04.jpg

Heceta_Head_lighthouse_05.jpg

Yaquina_Head_Lighthouse.jpg

Yaquina_Head_Lighthouse_02.jpg

Yaquina_Head_Lighthouse_03.jpg

Comments

• WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Fantastic
    These are the best photo's I think I have ever seen of these two lighthouses and puts all my attempts to shame! These are very awesome! thumb.gif I love them all and can't even begin to pick a favorite. I am going to have to try mine again.

Were you there for a couple days shooting in the evening.......? Please give me all the details, I would love to try these two lighthouses again someday and want to know any tips you care to give out. I epecially would like to know how you got to your point of view at Heceta head - I have never had too much time to look, but is there a trail somewhere near the viewpoint area that you can go down for that pov?

Great post and awesome work! bowdown.gif

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Great set of images
  • KKappleKKapple Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Wiren wrote:
    These are the best photo's I think I have ever seen of these two lighthouses and puts all my attempts to shame! These are very awesome! thumb.gif I love them all and can't even begin to pick a favorite. I am going to have to try mine again.

Were you there for a couple days shooting in the evening.......? Please give me all the details, I would love to try these two lighthouses again someday and want to know any tips you care to give out. I epecially would like to know how you got to your point of view at Heceta head - I have never had too much time to look, but is there a trail somewhere near the viewpoint area that you can go down for that pov?

Great post and awesome work! bowdown.gif

Lee

Thank you Lee, I appreciate your compliment.
    We stayed in the Yachats area for 3 days.
    Heceta Head was shot in an evening and then on a moring with the lower view.

My vantage point was not the main overlook, but the very small turn out or spot that is just before the main over look as you head south out of the tunnel. I'd say about 200 to 300 yards before the main overlook. Only enough room for one or two cars to pull over.

I was initially shooting the Devils Cauldron area for sunset. I got most of the shots I wanted there and made a beeline and drove as fast as possible to Heceta to get the last light with the storm clouds in the background.

Used I single-ray Vari-N-Duo filter and hand held a two stop GND filter for a 30 second exposure. I moved it up and down, like dogging and burning when printing, so you would not be able to see the hard edge of the hard GND filter.

Yaquina Head light house was treated much the same way.
    One shot was from a sunset, the other two from sunrise.
    The overly grey shot was shot before the sun came up with a rain storm right upon me. I packed up my gear and tried to make it back to the car from the beach, but got pretty wet.

Soon after I could tell I would get a break in the coulds and rain so 30 minutes later as the sun was coming up, I ran back do the cliff stairs to get the shot with the morning magenta color.

Last shot of Yaquina Head has a lot of PP done for the sunset. They kick you out at 7pm of the park, so I was gonna miss that magenta look I am always after. So I took a shot of the sky, metered the rock and then the water and blended the RAW files.
    edited October 9, 2009
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Great set of images

Thank you Marc, I am a big fan of your work and have looked at your images many times for inspiration.
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    thanks
    thanks for the info, I will have to save that little bit for a future shoot when next I am down that way (my wife hates the drive to Heceta Head rolleyes1.gif ). I had seen a shot of HHLH earlier this year where the photog told me there was a way to get down to the rocks from the main overlook, she had a low pov with seals on the rocks and it was a pretty cool shot, just not quite as nice as yours since her ss had to be fast so as not to blur the seals diving off the rocks. I am just going to have to rent a place in the area for a day or two so I can play around and try to emulate these awesome shots! Maybe I will try the YHLH during the winter months when the sun sets earlier so I can try to get some color in the sky before they kick me out, hopefully that will work or it will be a wast of the $7 fee!

Got any of Devil's Cauldron I can see, I have always wanted to shoot that area but have not dared try for angering the boss rolleyes1.gif would love to see what you got there!

Lee
    Lee Wiren
    edited October 9, 2009
    Wiren wrote:
    thanks for the info, I will have to save that little bit for a future shoot when next I am down that way (my wife hates the drive to Heceta Head rolleyes1.gif ). I had seen a shot of HHLH earlier this year where the photog told me there was a way to get down to the rocks from the main overlook, she had a low pov with seals on the rocks and it was a pretty cool shot, just not quite as nice as yours since her ss had to be fast so as not to blur the seals diving off the rocks. I am just going to have to rent a place in the area for a day or two so I can play around and try to emulate these awesome shots! Maybe I will try the YHLH during the winter months when the sun sets earlier so I can try to get some color in the sky before they kick me out, hopefully that will work or it will be a wast of the $7 fee!

Got any of Devil's Cauldron I can see, I have always wanted to shoot that area but have not dared try for angering the boss rolleyes1.gif would love to see what you got there!

Lee

I got my lower angle from the area where you turn before the tunnel to get to the beach. It's just before the bridge. I did not look for that trail you are speaking of but I think I know where you are talking about to look for it.

Here is the thread link to the Devils Cauldron area photos I took.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=146201
    I posted them earlier.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    really like the first one. it gives a feeling of how small and insignificant our works are in comparison to the vastness of the sea and sky... very moody and evocative. haven't been to Heceta Head for a couple of years... these photos have me wanting to visit there again!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com