Tug Boats

SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited October 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I fell in love with tug boats when I was a boy. My grandpa had a small one, used for recreational fishing and hunting up in Alaska. Here's a few tug shots I've taken in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks for looking...

626651617_uuSNd-XL-4.jpg

626650772_H4nNj-XL-4.jpg

662276354_zw3z5-XL-3.jpg

628559286_8MV95-XL-4.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Kevin,

I really like the last shot thumb.gif

Nice comp, your subject stands out very well, and I love the juxtaposition of the shot.

Old tug ~ new oil tanks ~ really, really old mountains
    Randy
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I'm with Randy the last one is well done.....Just don't think I would want to go to sea in it.......thumb.gif azzaro
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    +1 on the last one. That tug looks like a serious workhorse, and seems to have personality.thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Each time you post a photo I'm so envious :D

I like the 3rd photo because it jogged a memory of those foggy mornings and the salt air.

Randy is right -- those mountains are really old rolleyes1.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Howdy Kevin,

Really a very nice series, I like each one of them for different reasons, I think #3 is my favorite just like the look and feeling that one gives off.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Very nice work, Kevin! I looked at the first couple and thought "These don't look like any tug boats I've seen...", but that last shot is super. Really gives you the feel of an old work horse. Well done!
  • SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Kevin,

I really like the last shot thumb.gif

Nice comp, your subject stands out very well, and I love the juxtaposition of the shot.

Old tug ~ new oil tanks ~ really, really old mountains

Thanks for looking, Randy. Yep, those mountains are pretty old. Even older than the old tug! :D
    edited October 10, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    I'm with Randy the last one is well done.....Just don't think I would want to go to sea in it.......thumb.gif azzaro

I don't blame you, assaro, for wanting to stay on land. The Enchantress had been tied up there for years. When tide came in, she's flood, and all you could see was her antennae sticking out of the water. At low tide, she'd rest on the bottom and you could get some pictures. There was a group trying to save her as a historic part of the waterfront, but sometime during the past year they moved her somewhere.

Glad I got some shots before she left! Thanks for the nice comment!
    edited October 10, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    +1 on the last one. That tug looks like a serious workhorse, and seems to have personality.thumb.gif

Thanks, adbsgicom. Glad you liked it. I love boats with character, but there aren't too many around still afloat. I'll have to go looking for more.
    edited October 10, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Each time you post a photo I'm so envious :D

I like the 3rd photo because it jogged a memory of those foggy mornings and the salt air.

Randy is right -- those mountains are really old rolleyes1.gif

Okay, Mary. The wind is westerly today. If you breathe in real hard, you can smell the ocean. If you can't smell it, you aren't trying hard enough. Just be careful not to rupture a lung! Maybe it would be easier to ship you some seaweed in a box? :D

I like the 3rd photo, too for the same reason as you. Thanks for taking a peek. Hope you make it to the ocean soon!
    edited October 10, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Kevin,

Really a very nice series, I like each one of them for different reasons, I think #3 is my favorite just like the look and feeling that one gives off.

Howdy Panther. I like the fact that a photo can mean different things to different people, based on their associations. My lens was only 200 mm, and I was wanting to fill the frame a bit more, but in hindsight, I'm glad I couldn't. I personally like the vastness of the sea, and the way it makes the tug look small and vulnerable. Maybe if I had a doubler I could have both pics.

Thank you for the nice comments.
    edited October 10, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    Very nice work, Kevin! I looked at the first couple and thought "These don't look like any tug boats I've seen...", but that last shot is super. Really gives you the feel of an old work horse. Well done!

Thanks, Moose. I think out in Long Island Sound you guys have an abundance of old classic tugs? It seems out here the trend is state-of-the-art modern tugs like you see in the first two photos. At least they are the ones working the oil tankers that come in and out of the harbor to the refineries. I've noticed that out in the straights there seem to be more classic boats heading for VanCouver, BC -- so I might head out there next spring and just wait them out. I need some pictures before they all retire!
  • brncr6brncr6 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    The last one is great.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I love the first and the last. I would have liked to see more of the tug in the first, perhaps a shorter FL? What really clinches the last for me are those ghostly hills rising big in the BG.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Seatime wrote:
    Okay, Mary. The wind is westerly today. If you breathe in real hard, you can smell the ocean. If you can't smell it, you aren't trying hard enough. Just be careful not to rupture a lung! Maybe it would be easier to ship you some seaweed in a box? :D

I like the 3rd photo, too for the same reason as you. Thanks for taking a peek. Hope you make it to the ocean soon!

I took a good deep breath and all I could smell was snow :cry Yep...we've been having snow flurries.

Oh my, seaweed in a box...wouldn't the mailman like that rolleyes1.gifIt would be worth it to just see his face when he came to my house.

You like the 3rd too thumb.gif