Options

Lesson learned: How not to hold a date!

entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited October 9, 2009 in Weddings
I believe I already once wrote a little bit on multiple inquiries on the same date, and I've tried to abide but I made another mistake recently. I hope my story encourages especially other young / newer photographers to go for the bride who loves YOU, and not the other way around!

- Two months ago, a friend got engaged and asked me for a wedding price quote but told me she wasn't going to plan until the fall. I sent her a quote and forgot about it. Let's call her Person A

- A year ago, I took an engagement shoot for a friend of a friend. She told me her wedding was going to be a destination wedding so I didn't think I was going to be her wedding photographer. Let's call her Person B

Last week, Person A selected a package and had me write her a contract for her wedding. She told me to hold the date (I told her I don't hold dates, until I get contract + retainer in hand). She understood and said to send the contract and she'll book.

Shortly after, Person B emailed me and asked me 1) to shoot her intimate legal ceremony in March, and 2) if I'd consider being flown down to for her wedding on the SAME weekend as Person A. She'd looked at many photogs and still liked me better. I stupidly told her that I think Person A was going to book me so I didn't write her a contract for the destination opportunity. She went ahead and already booked me for March.

Meanwhile, in the 4 days after I sent Person A her contract, she came back with 4 - 5 emails asking me to clarify the contract, and every time I answered, I told her I could clarify things better over the phone but she never called. Then she wrote and asked if I could give a discount, trying to bargain me down, etc. THEN at the very end she got cold feet, said she wasn't ready, and backed out.

WELL, luckily Person B hadn't booked anyone else! I quickly went back to her, she liked my quote, and I just sent her the contract and she assured me that she would sign and return the retainer, and since she already officially booked me for March I'm pretty sure this contract is on its way back. I'm getting travel + hotel reimbursed. I'm SO EXCITED that this will work out!

I'm eating my own advice here - have your brides love you, don't go chasing after them. If you have an outstanding contract, still feel free to send another contract to another inquiry. Whoever is speedier in getting it back, is the person you want to work with =)
Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
Site
Blog

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Good Story..~
    tom wise
  • Options
    JDrakeJDrake Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I agree. This is why I make it clear to my brides that I cannot hold a date for them without a contract/retainer fee. I also let them know if I have other brides asking about the same date so there is no surprises if they don't book in time.
    The Painting Pony - Raising $ for Equine Cushings Disease Research.

Drake Photography - My Home on the Web
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    No retainer, no holding. Sorry.

I told some good friends that I would not hold their date without the retainer. They said they would get me the retainer in august. Then august became sept, and now they've been in a fight and are calling it off.

I had another situation. In august I had a client call and ask for a pretty large package. But something sounded sketchy to me. I offered a $100 discount on the package if she booked me by the end of September. Two weeks ago I get a new bride wanting the same date with a much smaller package. She immediately gave the retainer and signed the contract. 3 days later the original bride's "planner" called back (this is October mind you). She said she had questions about the contract. I told her I already booked. She said I would hold the date. Yadda Yadda. Luckily I have in my notes the only time limit I told her about was the discount and that had even passed.

Thank goodness too. I'm sure they were going to try to pay less and get more.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    No retainer, no holding. Sorry.

I told some good friends that I would not hold their date without the retainer. They said they would get me the retainer in august. Then august became sept, and now they've been in a fight and are calling it off.

I had another situation. In august I had a client call and ask for a pretty large package. But something sounded sketchy to me. I offered a $100 discount on the package if she booked me by the end of September. Two weeks ago I get a new bride wanting the same date with a much smaller package. She immediately gave the retainer and signed the contract. 3 days later the original bride's "planner" called back (this is October mind you). She said she had questions about the contract. I told her I already booked. She said I would hold the date. Yadda Yadda. Luckily I have in my notes the only time limit I told her about was the discount and that had even passed.

Thank goodness too. I'm sure they were going to try to pay less and get more.

Another great story of going with the folks who WANT YOU!
    tom wise
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I appreciate the advice, it certainly makes sense.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Great story!!! I think we've all been there!!! thumb.gif

And nooowwww????? Where is the destination wedding taking you????? wings.gif
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    hahaha, i'm going to San Juan, Puerto Rico!
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Oh my gosh!!!!! how exciting!!! Congrats :o)

Aaaaaand you have my # if you need a secod, right???? ;o)

See you tomorrow :o)