Close up portraits...

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited October 10, 2009 in People
Here are 3 from yesterday/today. I'm not sure how up to par these are? I feel like they are lacking something. I'm still REALLY working hard to figure out what looks best in PP....as well as how to use my camera effectively. Thoughts on these? Mediocre, above average, good? Thanks for the comments :) I've been shooting daily lately (if you haven't noticed, lol). Just really anxious to get better!

ErikCloseUp2_BetterEdit.jpg

ErikCRblackandwhite.jpg

ErikCloseupBetterBurnedEDIT_edited-.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 9, 2009
    Looks like you need more light. I'm assuming they were taken mid-day outdoors in the sun, because the hair is lit up nicely. However, that left the kid's faces shadowed. A reflector may have worked well here. Just a simple piece of foam core laying on the ground or tilted up some might have done the trick. I probably would have just used a flash.

Regards,
    -joel
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Thanks Kdog for the suggestion! The idea to use foam is wonderful! I never thought of that. I could just lean it against the bushes at the angle where the shadows are on his face, right? Yes these were taken in the afternoon (1:30 ish), but down about 10 stairs into a dimly lit forest. I know I could have used more light, but I didn't want to kill the "ambiance" with the flash, lol! I'm going to try the foam out soon! THX :)
  • ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Judging from his pupil size, there's a lot of light bouncing around that space. The light in the last one is nice and soft, but if you could get his pupils open to twice what they are, he'd appear to have a softer, more innocent expression. Good lookin' boy there. Lot of personality in the captures.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    What a handsome little guy you have here! Makes me want to get my boy out for some shooting!

I wonder what would have happened had you turned him around and had him look up the stairs at you a bit. "Light to the eyes" is my mantra, and it looks like the light was coming straight down in this case. (The top of his head, his cheeks and the bridge of his nose have the light.) If that's so, then having the child tilt his face up just a bit allows the light to fill in to his eyes. Most of the time, it's nice to be on the child's level, but sometimes I find that having the child look up towards the camera a bit provides better light and another perspective (as long it doesn't cause squinting, which is my own nemesis). As mentioned, reflectors are good, too.

There seems to be some concrete in the vicinity of these pics, which can often act like a reflector if the subject is turned toward it in such a way as to let the light bounce from it to fill in the face.

It's always good to have your subject slowly turn around as you watch his eyes and you will see where the light is coming from. If his eyes don't light up in that spot, try another, or try getting light to his eyes by some other means (reflector or flash).

A book that has been helpful to me is called Natural Light Portrait Photography by Douglas Allen Box. The photos are a bit old fashioned, but they, along with the diagrams, provide a good visual for finding the light.

I haven't been around much lately, but from what I've seen, you're doing super! Happy clicking!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    OH my gosh, Elaine and Scoupe...you both know SO much! These are things that I hadn't even considered ...and you both saw them in one quick glance. THIS is what I love about this site!

His pupil size! What a wonderfully logical of a way to determine light. And I never thought about pupil size as reflecting innocence, but you are spot on with that assesment. I love the idea of watching the eyes as the subject turns slowly so as to see the light...GREAT idea! And YES there was a lot of concrete to "play with". I didn't even realize that could be used to my advantage as a reflector (to boot it is smooth and almost mirror-like). Anyway, I need to explore this space much much more. It is a beautiful railway-tie staircase with concrete sides as retaining walls. It leads to a forest that isn't too dense and has a lot of low brush.

THANK YOU BOTH for your suggestions. I was so focused on getting him sitting on those stairs that I stopped thinking about the light. A big no no! Him turning around might have given me the angelic light I needed. NEXT TIME for sure!

I'm motivated now!!:)
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    OH my gosh, Elaine and Scoupe...you both know SO much! These are things that I hadn't even considered ...and you both saw them in one quick glance. THIS is what I love about this site!

His pupil size! What a wonderfully logical of a way to determine light. And I never thought about pupil size as reflecting innocence, but you are spot on with that assesment. I love the idea of watching the eyes as the subject turns slowly so as to see the light...GREAT idea! And YES there was a lot of concrete to "play with". I didn't even realize that could be used to my advantage as a reflector (to boot it is smooth and almost mirror-like). Anyway, I need to explore this space much much more. It is a beautiful railway-tie staircase with concrete sides as retaining walls. It leads to a forest that isn't too dense and has a lot of low brush.

THANK YOU BOTH for your suggestions. I was so focused on getting him sitting on those stairs that I stopped thinking about the light. A big no no! Him turning around might have given me the angelic light I needed. NEXT TIME for sure!

I'm motivated now!!:)

Great! Have fun! thumb.gif

I realized I forgot to mention catchlights. Remember to look for catchlights when your subject is turning around. Look for a spot that offers light to the eyes in such a way that you can see the light reflecting from his eyes...catchlights. That gives the eyes life and sparkle, which can give the photo life and sparkle.

465091927_gaf5b-S.jpg

Now, I'm off to see if I can follow my own advice! rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography