Options

Cropping for Print Question

ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited October 14, 2009 in Finishing School
I edited all my photos from a friends bridal shower and cropped in 8x10/10x8's..........So now to order them off my SmugMug site......I am realizing that maybe I shouldn't have cropped them at all since if they decide they want 4x6's or 5x7's won't that become a problem? Having to crop parts of the photo.

What is the best way to crop? Or do you just edit and do no cropping at all when you know others will want to select copies in varying sizes.

Thank you in advance, Shae
"My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:
    I edited all my photos from a friends bridal shower and cropped in 8x10/10x8's..........So now to order them off my SmugMug site......I am realizing that maybe I shouldn't have cropped them at all since if they decide they want 4x6's or 5x7's won't that become a problem? Having to crop parts of the photo.

What is the best way to crop? Or do you just edit and do no cropping at all when you know others will want to select copies in varying sizes.

Thank you in advance, Shae

I don't know what you shoot with but I only crop in the same aspect ratio as my camera outputs or restrict printing to the ratio I cropped to. So if I want an 8x10 I crop to that but othewise I leave it at 8x12. I also have a custom focus screen so if I want to fill the frame when i shoot I can see what the print layout will be in the viewfinder. www.croplines.com
    I also shoot leaving enough space to crop to what I might want to print.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com