Beau - Class of 2010

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited October 14, 2009 in People
A few from earlier this week. Hopefully Ill find the time to edit this set in the coming weeks and perhaps share a few more.

1-
675485297_h9jFV-L-3.jpg

2-
675485819_tpb87-L-3.jpg

675484884_oAxrt-L-3.jpg

4-
675484593_Ewywv-L-3.jpg

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Likey, likey! clap.gif As always, love your conversions and the light. My only nit is his hand disappearing in #3. Are you using flash/umbrella these days?
    Great to see a post from you!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I love the gate. The lighting in the 3rd one is terrific.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Likey, likey! clap.gif As always, love your conversions and the light. My only nit is his hand disappearing in #3. Are you using flash/umbrella these days?
    Great to see a post from you!

Hey Elaine!!!

We shot Beau's portraits at his family's home. It was a beautiful....if hot...afternoon, and they had some great nooks and crannys on their property for photographs.

These were straight out of lightroom. Im still working like a madman, but wanted to run a few through to see what direction I might go with the set when I do finally get time to REALLY edit them.

I used a single 580, the 42" umbrella, and STE2 on 1,3,and 4. #2 is natural light with the 50mm F1.4 I recently aquired in a trade with Shima. She got my 85mm F1.8 in the deal. I shot #2 at F1.8. I shot nearly all of the set with my 70-200, but I thin the cap and gown here was done with the 17-55.

I did quite a few natural light shots as the sun disappeared. In those he wore camoflauge and carried his hunting rifle. Youll have to wait on those though!!!
    edited October 9, 2009
    DavidS wrote:
    I love the gate. The lighting in the 3rd one is terrific.

Thanks David.

I used a flash and umbrella at camera right, but the interesting part of #3's light is the natural light from behind him that a-l-m-o-s-t gives off a rim effect. It definately helped to carve him out of the background.

I shot some stuff using a similar gate last year, and when I scouted this location his mom walked me straight away to the gate....as she had seen the other set and liked them.

Thanks for looking....and commenting.....Take care.thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hey Elaine!!!

We shot Beau's portraits at his family's home. It was a beautiful....if hot...afternoon, and they had some great nooks and crannys on their property for photographs.

These were straight out of lightroom. Im still working like a madman, but wanted to run a few through to see what direction I might go with the set when I do finally get time to REALLY edit them.

I used a single 580, the 42" umbrella, and STE2 on 1,3,and 4. #2 is natural light with the 50mm F1.4 I recently aquired in a trade with Shima. She got my 85mm F1.8 in the deal. I shot #2 at F1.8. I shot nearly all of the set with my 70-200, but I thin the cap and gown here was done with the 17-55

Well, I don't know why you'd need to do anything else to these. Straight out of LR looks great to me anyway!

I'm happy to say I guessed right on the light! Not to say the flashed ones look flashy, because they don't. But I'm starting to just see things a bit clearer...sorta...I think. And I thought #2 looked pretty shallow. I'm not quite brave enough to go to 1.8! I love how soft and creamy yours turned out.

Are you shooting through or bouncing with the umbrella? Do you have a preference?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 9, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Well, I don't know why you'd need to do anything else to these. Straight out of LR looks great to me anyway!

I tend to keep the processing fairly consistant within a set. I tried a hodgpodge of "looks" on these (and others) just to get a feel for what I might do with the set as a whole before I offer up the proof gallery. Some will need some minor skin work, but really....his skin was mostly clear of blemishes....and I don't really do THAT part until after they have chosen the files they want in print. Much less work that way IF they require it.thumb.gif

I'm happy to say I guessed right on the light! Not to say the flashed ones look flashy, because they don't. But I'm starting to just see things a bit clearer...sorta...I think. And I thought #2 looked pretty shallow. I'm not quite brave enough to go to 1.8! I love how soft and creamy yours turned out.

1.8 can be iffy. I had set it at 2.0 I thought, but realized afterwards that I musta rolled the wheel while shooting on accident to 1.8. This lens is rumoured to really sharpen up at F2....and that is why I had intended to shoot that aperture. Things definately fall off creamy and buttery with that glass....and quickly away from the slice of focus at that distance. eek7.gif
    Are you shooting through or bouncing with the umbrella? Do you have a preference?

I nearly always shoot "through" the umbrella. If I were in a tight spot...or indoors...and was concerned about stray light spilling out of the umbrelle or reflecting from something outside the frame, them I might use the black cover and bounce. I have only had to do that indoors.....where....I have never shot THROUGH an umbrella. Its about controlling spill....or not...:D .....and that would rarely be an issue in MOST of the situations in which I shoot.
    edited October 11, 2009
    One more......with the 50mm

675483534_G4MkJ-L-3.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Ooooo... this last one (that you just posted) is my fave of the set!!! Really gets his eyes - I bet his folks are just dreamy over that one!

Do I recognise the Creative Catalyst preset in #3? (I only ask because I use it A LOT - thanks to Elaine for posting it here! thumb.gif)
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Jeff these are awesome! I love all of the shots, but my 2 fav are the one in the cap and gown....and the last one. I have been trying for a processing like the last one and have come up short. Great to see it done right!!!! ALSO one big thing that gets me frustrated over senior shots is that the gown shots are not there these days. I KNOW it is a little cheesy...but honestly the kid isn't going to change physically much over the next 5 years and the gown is the ONLY thing really showing that time period. On graduation day the parents are flustered and busy (or perhaps not as skilled as they'd like to be in photography) and don't get the gown shots at all! I'm REALLY happy to see such a modern take on a gown shot. I love the outdoors and angle. You really nailed it. Great work!
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Excellent work as always jeff!
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
    edited October 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ooooo... this last one (that you just posted) is my fave of the set!!! Really gets his eyes - I bet his folks are just dreamy over that one!

Do I recognise the Creative Catalyst preset in #3? (I only ask because I use it A LOT - thanks to Elaine for posting it here! thumb.gif)

Thanks Diva......the second does use a CC preset that I also got from Elaine.
    edited October 14, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Jeff these are awesome! I love all of the shots, but my 2 fav are the one in the cap and gown....and the last one. I have been trying for a processing like the last one and have come up short. Great to see it done right!!!! ALSO one big thing that gets me frustrated over senior shots is that the gown shots are not there these days. I KNOW it is a little cheesy...but honestly the kid isn't going to change physically much over the next 5 years and the gown is the ONLY thing really showing that time period. On graduation day the parents are flustered and busy (or perhaps not as skilled as they'd like to be in photography) and don't get the gown shots at all! I'm REALLY happy to see such a modern take on a gown shot. I love the outdoors and angle. You really nailed it. Great work!

I get very few cap and gown requests. Our local schools contract to a studio for the yearbook shots and they also do a cap and gown as part of that package. I enjoy doing them when given the opportunity.thumb.gif

The processing on the last is a preset I cooked up myself.

Thanks for your kind and generous comments.mwink.gif