Options

#35 - Posting One for Feedback

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited October 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Alone

676082410_bugs5-L.jpg

Challenge worthy?

Also, any suggestions for a title. I keep wanting to call it "feeling blue" but that would be using the theme name in the caption.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    Hi MakeMeShutter!
    While using the theme in the title is discouraged, it isn't forbidden. Somewhere there is a whole discussion on the subject. Maybe someone can point you to it. I don't recall where it was.

I think the point was that the photo should "speak" for itself insofar as the theme in concerned without reliance on the title.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    "Feeling Down"

Can you fix the display above the elevator? You caught it mid-scan it appears. Especially if it said 'down' in French....

Like the combination of both meanings for 'blue'.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Or maybe Going Down? Or Looking Down. Or Not Looking Up.

I like it! His body language really speaks blue.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    Thanks for your comments Andrew and WhatSheSaw. Good title suggestions from both of you. Much appreciated.

Andrew, it says "DEPART" above the elevator. The sign may have been going off because the doors were about to close, but I think it was either my angle or the fact that the sign is defective that resulted in only the top part of the word showing. The elevator goes up from the platform.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    title: Pas sortir!

En francais: Not leaving.
    tom wise
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I like it
    There is something alluring about it, his expression and stance are what bring it together and give it the life and interest.

Nowhere

is the title that seems to resonate in my head for some odd reason.

Really strong in theme? Not sure, it depends on the judge.
    I really like the sense of indifference.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    Thanks so much Tom and Sean for taking the time to comment.

The different title suggestions make me think. They also give a clue to how each person responds to the mood of the man in the photo. Really neat!!

I could go with "Huis Clos (No Exit) if I wanted to be very existential.

Or how about Waiting for Godot? rolleyes1.gif

Sean, I appreciate you comment about the photo not being strong on the theme. I am working for a small laptop with a screen that cannot be calibrated and which runs to being cool (cyan). I see plenty of blue in the picture, but that could be my machine. Of course, just having blue in the picture doesn't mean it fits the theme.

All food for thought.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Sean, I appreciate you comment about the photo not being strong on the theme. I am working for a small laptop with a screen that cannot be calibrated and which runs to being cool (cyan). I see plenty of blue in the picture, but that could be my machine. Of course, just having blue in the picture doesn't mean it fits the theme.

All food for thought.

Virginia

Virginia, I agree the frame does have a blue and cool feel to it and it most certainly contains a very blue sign and a blue wall. Plus a blue feeling/looking person all together it feels blue but will it feel or say blue to everyone is what I was thinking. The most interesting thing about these challenges is learning how each person can interpret an image so much differently than another.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Thematically, Which I should have addressed is: I think it sends a much stronger message than blue. It is a very good image!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Sean - Boy do I agree about the judging side of things. It is always a revelation and often a surprise to see what appeals and speaks to others. I think it has really helped me be comfortable with my own choices for my photography and when looking at the work of others. One of the reasons the challenges rock!!

Thanks Tom, for the overall comment on the photograph.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    beebobeebo Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Blue
    How about calling it Departed? Kind of a double meaning and a bit open ended. I'm not bothered by the half illuminated sign. It engaged me because I was trying to figure out what it said. By leaving it that way, it doesn't spell everything out for the viewer, so to speak. And if you called it Departed it turns the half lit sign from a mistake to a happy accident that I think adds another layer of thought. Or you could go the complete opposited direction and add a word that is totally ambiguous. There's my two cents. Anyway, I enjoyed this image.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Thanks, Beebo. I like your creative thinking!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    "I hate Goodbyes"
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:
    "I hate Goodbyes"

Hey, another good idea!

Thanks Mrs. McCue!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Neat image. My eyes are drawn to him and then I look around. His mood certainly conveys blue/sad.
    He even has a blue shirt on.

Seems you have got some great title ideas.

good luck

g
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I absolutely love it. It gets that rather Parisian isolation and autumnal GREY feeling as well as the blueness from the wall and his shirt and overall cool cast. It would be neat if you can make "Depart" complete somehow, but other than that, me likey.

Huis Clos cute, but perhaps not actually true enough - he doesn't look trapped (especially since the elevator is RIGHT THERE... and the doors are open rolleyes1.gif. Total tangent: the Sartre is one of my all-time favorite plays, miserable though it is :D)

What about "En Passant"? Or just "Blue Mondays" maybe? The mood has a certain mundane-ness to it (which is what I like about it) :D
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Thanks, Gail, for your comments. I think my response to the scene is much like yours. I wasn't even thinking of the challenge when I took it. Just liked his body language and that he was alone on that part of the platform.

Diva, you are so funny. I wouldn't have used Huis Clos in any event!! But your point is well taken. Obviously the elevator is right there (and not so obviously, there are stairs around the corner behind him). Of course, since the "depart" sign is not all there, perhaps the elevator is doomed to remain open forever. rolleyes1.gif

Still thinking about whether to leave the "depart" as is or not. It doesn't bother me at all - it's the way it looked. But given the graphic feel to the photo, I should probably try to fix it. Hard to do on my little laptop and without my wacom but I could give it a try.

As for Blue Monday, I like it, but I'm trying to stay away from using "blue" in the title.

Of course, if I don't quite futsying around, I won't ever get the picture entered. Gotta make up my mind soon.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    well done. nothing further from me...
    Aaron Nelson