Tarut, Saudi Arabia

Canon 40D, 24-105mm F4L IS USM

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    'Cause dG has been crippled all night, just thought someone might like to give me a reaction to this, now things are working again... just to help me gauge my PP ideas, and you might even like it eek7.gif. Thanks!thumb.gif

Neil

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Hi Neil...... I have come back to your pic. several times because I liked it, but not sure what to say.... I think for the shot and lighting the pp was a good choice... Is Tarut the area I think it is, a place where history goes back thousands of years?????? WELL DONE in my opinion......thumb.gif azzaro
    edited October 11, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Neil...... I have come back to your pic. several times because I liked it, but not sure what to say.... I think for the shot and lighting the pp was a good choice... Is Tarut the area I think it is, a place where history goes back thousands of years?????? WELL DONE in my opinion......thumb.gif azzaro

Thanks for the feedback, Azzaro - very good to get! You haven't posted a pic for a while I think? Don't let it be too long!thumb.gif

I'm very surprised you know of Tarut. Yes, there are a few acres of falling-down buildings (eg as you can see) which themselves have a history, but which are also built on ancient remains. Tarut is a tiny island, which had an important port in ancient times, only a few hundred yards from the Gulf coast of Saudi Arabia, part of the area called Qatif, an extensive oasis, perhaps 2nd biggest in the world.

This wall of standing rubble silhouetted against the last light of day in the sky was moving to see live, but just how-hum as an image. So, I had to take it through quite a process to give it back what I saw, the decay, almost luminous in the shadows, empty but not empty, fading under the fading light. An image, I think, that only its parent can love mwink.gif, but I would really like to know how it affects the impartial observer, for better and of course for worse!

Neil

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 11, 2009
    I too have come back to this one several times. My first reaction was that it is too dark, but perhaps that contributes to the feeling of uneasiness this image evokes in me. I don't understand the title, I'm afraid. But I do keep looking at it, and that's a sign of success.
    edited October 11, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I too have come back to this one several times. My first reaction was that it is too dark, but perhaps that contributes to the feeling of uneasiness this image evokes in me. I don't understand the title, I'm afraid. But I do keep looking at it, and that's a sign of success.

Very interesting that is your reaction, R. And I'm pleased, of course. Thanks.

I, too, kept feeling it was too dark (the building was almost black in the SOOC RAW), but when my eyes get adjusted I get a little rush! It needs a a little "night vision", maybe!

Neil

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    First time I've come across this image :D

I know nothing of Tarut, but you have my interest peaked and I'll have to do some reading about it.

As for the photo it does have an uneasiness to it. All those windows and openings can make a person scared. Your choice of PP is a good choice as it adds to the shivers I feel when I look at it.

I'm heading to bed in a minute or two -- hope I don't have nighmares :cry

Good job thumb.gif

And Azzaro -- I'm waiting too for your next photo :D