SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited October 15, 2009 in Sports
I took these last night in Minneapolis:

http://snaplocally.com/100909

Comments

• Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I continue to be impressed with your shots. Do you have flashes slaved around the ring, or are they available light?
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    budman101 wrote:
    I continue to be impressed with your shots. Do you have flashes slaved around the ring, or are they available light?

Thank you.

No, I don't rely on any flashes nor strobes; I strictly use what lighting is available. In this case, as seen in the following photo, the lights were placed in each of the ring corners facing the center of the ring:

8.jpg

That said, there's no consistency with the kind of lighting I'm shooting in; I've got to be prepared for just about anything- chandeliers, fluorescent tubes, tungsten lightbulbs. I don't get paid to cover the vast majority of the events I shoot; I only get paid when/if I make any sales. So no, I don't have anything to do with the lighting decisions.
  • Options
    SUMGUYSUMGUY Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Looks like the lighting issues over there are no different than fight lighting in Australia. Damn these elcheapo promoters! Laughing.gif

Cheers
    Scott
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Unless the event is televised, they're gonna be poorly lit, more often than not. I can't complain though; I've learned 10x more shooting in dungeons than if I were hand-fed stadium lighting from day 1.
  • Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Unless the event is televised, they're gonna be poorly lit, more often than not. I can't complain though; I've learned 10x more shooting in dungeons than if I were hand-fed stadium lighting from day 1.

I just thought I'd throw in another thumbs up. You're pictures are always so, beautiful. They really emphasize the human in the sport and they're like art. Iconographer is such an appropriate moniker.
    bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Hey, thanks. Here's another shot featuring a bit of the human:

uff.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    X2 on the learning in poor light. I never show groin shots because I didnt think people wanted see them, I thought if you shoot fights everyone only wants too see action. After reading this (and learning something) I think I will start to use more "human" shots. I love this kind fight shot, might put some in the package deals I sell to the fighters and see how they respond... Thank you for teaching me something.

Cheers
    Scott
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    You're welcome. lol3.gif

To be honest, I'm always looking to learn/do/find something new. The vast majority of what I shoot is within the confines of a ring or a cage, so summoning creativity can be a bit of a challenge. And since I'm never on assignment (as I'm usually not paid to cover an event but rather rely on sales) what I publish after an event is at my discretion. I don't think there's necessarily one correct way to cover an event; some prefer the journalistic approach, some just prefer straight action. If I gain fans with differing taste, so much the better.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    I have been worried to show people the "different" shots because there has only been one guy doing it here (7yrs) and he has only tried to get the kick/punch connecting. I want to break the boring cycle of same old stuff over and over... You guys on this forum have just givin me the b@##s to do it!

Now... Too find creative mode on my camera???
    Once again thank you...

Cheers
    Scott
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    One of the things that accelerated my pace of learning and producing the quality work I now produce was necessity. Had it not been for my competition pushing the pace, I might very well be that one dimensional punch-kick photographer. Believe me, when I've got a guy shooting with a 5D and L lenses in contrast to the XTi and used Tamron I started out with breathing down your neck, you're going to either figure out how to improve real quick, or settle for being second best.

As far as creative modes go, I only shoot in Manual; it gives the most consistent results.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    I hear you with fast pace learning...I love it! I shot a major boxing event in Aus with every news paper photographer there, I had one D300 with a Tamron 17-55 2.8. They had 3-4 5d's or D3's with lenses ranging from 70-200 up to 500...My shot made the paper clap.gifNow I dont care what others have. It's all about quality. I do shoot in M most times or S mode, but not manual focus I use auto. I leave my metering on matrix (auto) untill next week when I will try spot metering. I"m not ready in my mind to go full manual...

I look forward to seeing shots from your next event. Like the other guys have said, your work continues to impress. Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers
    Scott
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Much appreciated, Scott.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply I manually focus, but rather have my camera on "M" when I shoot.

The D300- it's a great camera; a notch above my 40D from what I've seen. But yes, I agree that it's about the shot and the capable photographer than the camera that the "pros" use. I was in the same situation that you've described- I was surrounded by media; there were at least 4 photographers using two 1D's with L lenses, and myself, using a 40D and a used, non-USM prime. No, my shot didn't make the paper(which has a circulation of over 600k) ; they used a photojournalist, and he took this dandy:

5fite0419.jpg

And I took these:

count.jpg

Skelator.jpg

Hilario-Litzau.jpg

over.jpg

Jason_Litzau2.jpg

Vanda-Pudwill3.jpg

That guy has a guaranteed job every day he gets out of bed, meanwhile I'm struggling to find one-time gigs.

:bigbs
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    It's not right is it! The two guys (media) that I was talking to that night just came from shooting some floods we had is the south of Australia, How do they expect to take shots of of fast moving action, when they are used to shooting a bus crash or people walking into the latest state fair???

Those shots a so clean! In shot 3 of yours, see how their legs have a blue reflection from the canvas and their faces are red? I dont mind that, but I catch my other half trying to photoshop those colours out of mine! Is there anything women dont want to take control over? rolleyes1.gif
    Awesome shots mate!

Cheers
    Scott