Samantha~Senior Session

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 15, 2009 in People
I'm starting to get swamped with seniors...very cool. =)

I actually shot this senior session with my friend, Jen Rinaldi. Here are my shots.

669201900_RruS9-L-1.jpg
671551327_PupKu-L.jpg
671549724_S22is-L.jpg
674631306_3WzUU-L.jpg
674613159_fcyhm-L.jpg
674623318_PtjWV-L.jpg
676485812_aiJeJ-L.jpg
This one is a little different, posing....hmmm not sure it's working. We were practing with off camera flash
676490922_iGUj7-L.jpg
A little bright..perhaps?
676494309_bUKfE-L.jpg
676502419_du9o7-L.jpg

Comments

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    The only one that looks natural is number one!!!!! Was she uncomfortable in front of the camera?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I love 'em all ..c'ept #4..

I adore the first one too!
    tom wise
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Hey Julie, its funny b/c up here in Ontario, senior portraits are not that popular which is to bad. Or maybe I am just not getting the business..lol..

So I like #1, its creative although your client may not like it...

I also like #6, I think the stairs is a good location. But she does look a little "stiff". Also looks like a sneaker in bottom left corner, maybe assistant holding reflector ??

In the others the lighting looks a tad bright and flat..Not sure what setup you were using but I find off camera flash with an umbrella works well.

As far as the poses, it appears that in most of the shots your subject has her face directly square with the camera. I slight head tilt or moving it off angle to the camera may of worked a bit better allowing more shadows to "shape" the face.

#10 is a good concept, I think maybe having her look thru the photo may of worked a bit better. Would of like to have seen one with her on the far left of the frame instead. I dont think positioning her
    where that concrete ridge juts out works as it is going directly thru her head line..

Hope you dont mind the feedback.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Interesting set of pictures. I like #10, but I think I'd have preferred her looking at the camera (is there and echo in here? rolleyes1.gif ).

#3: I think the colours clash…

#1: remind me of what we're seeing here, and what makes it unique for this particular senior; sorry, I came in late and must have missed something…

I don't think she looks relaxed. I remember back in the days of film, when faced with a nervous model, I'd would shoot a whole session with an empty camera to get the subject used to having his/her picture taken; of course in these days of digital, the wasted film argument doesn't hold water, but the pictures are so much better when the subject is relaxed (honestly!)

Interesting location; some great textures on the brick wall! …also, how did your friend's pictures turn out?

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Julie,

I really enjoyed these! :) I bet her mom, dad, and the girl will be very pleased!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Overall nice work. There are however some awkward poses in there.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    How do I say this tastefully? The pose in #4 makes it look like, uh, nature is calling. Maybe cut that one?

Otherwise, great locations!
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Julie, you have some really neat ideas, especially 1-4-8-10. You need to work on finding shade. Either tree or overhang. That will help you get more direction in your light and more pleasing light on the face. She is a little heavy and in some you made her look heavier. Turn her or try to crop closer. When using OCF you get that tiny catch light in the eye, you can always paint it in larger. Good job overall.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I'm not to crazy about her expression in #4 and #7, but besides that I think you did great! Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hi Julie,
    You keep finding new backgrounds to shoot in, and new poses. You keep finding new poses and locations. That is cool to watch.

I really like your first shot. Maybe not a typical high school portrait, but a darned nice image none the less!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I have to agree with most of the others here.

She looks like she is uncomfortable and some of the poses are not flattering to her at all.

The location is amazing, the processing is great, and #1 stands out from the rest here.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    1: Cool shot, but probably doesn't work as a "Senior Portrait" since her face isn't in it.
    2: She looks like a beautiful girl, but as mentioned, it is obvious she's uncomfortable in front of the camera. This shot really emphasizes her eyes well ..
    3: Awkward looking. .. not very 'lady like'
    4: Looks like she's peeing or something (no offense)
    5: Face looks a little 'over-lit'.. and her expression looks strange.. she needs to show her teeth in her smile
    6: Probably my favorite.. love the composition, her pose and her smile look great in this shot... gotta remove that sneaker in the lower left area though.
    7: Black clothes are lost in the dark background
    8: Awkward, unnatural looking pose
    9: Looks like the flash may have been too strong, causing too much contrast between highlights and shadows
    10: Not really doing anything for me.. .having her hands flat against the wall like that looks awkward and unnatural.

In my opinion (and take that for what it's worth!), you've got a couple things working against you here...
    Subject who is obviously not comfortable being in front of a camera,
    Too much lighting (?)

Things going FOR you in these shots...
    She looks like a really pretty girl, and I think that if you could have broken the ice with her a bit more and gotten her to feel comfortable, you would have had some stunning shots
    Great location

Keep it up!
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic