Please help me identify....

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Holy Macro
I was out testing a new Canon 100MM L Macro today and I have never seen this type of what I assume to be in the hornet family that is about 1/8" in length and iridescent in color. Any help on exactly what it is? I shot it in my back yard this afternoon. C&C welcome.

677587851_mHzSV-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    LOvely shot- think I'll finally decide on a sweat bee.
    Brian v.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    LOvely shot- think I'll finally decide on a sweat bee.
    Brian v.

Thanks Brian....I thought it was a hornet related given the striped tail but entomologist I am not! :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• RWebRWeb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2009
    That is a sweet photo....so lively, love the colors.

I believe this wasp is called Crabronidae - green head and stripped abdomen. :)
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    RWeb wrote:
    That is a sweet photo....so lively, love the colors.

I believe this wasp is called Crabronidae - green head and stripped abdomen. :)

Thanks for the kind words RWeb. I looked up Crabronidae and none of the shots look liked this one.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• ci2ici2i Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words RWeb. I looked up Crabronidae and none of the shots look liked this one.

This is a beautiful shot. Looks like it might be this:
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/147472
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Shiny! :)
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I cant help you on what it is, But its a beautiful shot. The combinations of color really come together, great eye.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    This is a green metallic bee of the Agapostemon genus -- very probably my particular favorite, A. viriscens. They're a type of sweat bee, or halictid, although in my experience they've never gone after me for sweat. These are small solitary bees that lay their eggs in burrows underground; several females (usually sisters, I think) will dig their burrows off of a larger shared entrance, but they don't build hives, and they don't have the complex, multigenerational social structure of the truly social bees.

edit: I just saw you're in Boston. I live over in Somerville, and did all this research for myself this summer when I started seeing them. Basically, there are four Agapostemon species around here; three of them only have the banded black and cream abdomen in the males, and considering the time of year, I think you found a female gathering the final provisions for her nest (the males tend to die after mating, though I admit I don't know how to sex them reliably). The one this could be, assuming this isn't some random late male, is A. viriscens. I'm actually jealous you're still seeing them; I haven't seen anything interesting on this side of the river in almost a month.

They're small and fast, but perfect animals to perfect your technique on -- getting great shots of them is amazingly satisfying. I think they're really flagship macro subjects in a way; beautiful and common as they are, a lot of people I've talked to about them have never noticed them, even though they most likely have had the opportunity every summer. I personally never noticed them before I was specifically looking for things to shoot. :)