Options

Can't make my RAW photo look as good as jpeg

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 12, 2009 in Finishing School
Ever have this issue? What am I doing wrong/ Anyway to copy what the camera did to the jpeg and do it to the RAW?
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    What are you curently using to process your raw images? And what model of camera?
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    I have the Nikon d 700, I don't usually have this problem, but these photos were shot early evening, there is some noise, some softness.
    I am opening them in Photoshop CS4 raw converter, I think that is the term. My camera was set to vivid.
    I also could use Lightroom2 or DXO to convert them.

I am still somewhat of a newbie. I think I figured out the vivid or whatever setting is not going to translate into my Raw images, just jpeg. The color on the Jpeg is wonderful! I can't duplicate the color or the final results. Maybe I should just PP the jpeg image for my client!

There is a popular photographer of children in Chicago that shots jpeg, never uses flash, sets her Nikon to Vivid and uses her images pretty much sooc. But then again she has a niche and it works for her, now I can see why.
    Thanks for responding...
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I tried RAW for awhile, but I don't get the same results as I did with Jpeg. One day I'll progress to RAW but for now and with my style I get better results in Jpeg.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I learned at a Scott Kelby Lightroom seminar that Lightroom 2 has something called camera matching profiles under the Camera Calibration heading. (Also works in ACR 4.5 and later.) It's the bottom option on the far right under the develop module in LR2. Under "profile" you can choose from the various options that you would find on your own camera's menu. So, for example, you should be able to click "vivid" and it will give your RAW photo the JPEG settings for vivid. Mr. Kelby mentioned that he knows someone who likes to shoot RAW for the advantages it offers, but as a general rule, sets Lightroom to import and automatically apply a setting that he likes from the Camera Calibration menu so that he is starting his edits with a good looking photo.

For more info on getting those profiles into Lightroom, try this link from Adobe Labs.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I have the Nikon d 700, I don't usually have this problem, but these photos were shot early evening, there is some noise, some softness.
    I am opening them in Photoshop CS4 raw converter, I think that is the term. My camera was set to vivid.
    I also could use Lightroom2 or DXO to convert them.

I am still somewhat of a newbie. I think I figured out the vivid or whatever setting is not going to translate into my Raw images, just jpeg. The color on the Jpeg is wonderful! I can't duplicate the color or the final results. Maybe I should just PP the jpeg image for my client!

There is a popular photographer of children in Chicago that shots jpeg, never uses flash, sets her Nikon to Vivid and uses her images pretty much sooc. But then again she has a niche and it works for her, now I can see why.
    Thanks for responding...

You NEED to learn how to use ACR (adobe camera raw) in CS4!

Try the "vibrance slider" at about 25 (to taste) up saturation to about 1/3rd of where you put the vibrance...and adjust clarity to add contrast and pop!

Google for tutes....there's plenty of them.:D
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thanks for the tips, I did use vibrance, clarity, contrast, curves, but that didn't do the trick this time.
    Elaine I am going to tinker with the camera calibrations . Funny thing, yesterday I tried to buy Kelby's online courses, but the website wasn't working properly.
    Thanks for the tips!!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    It's been noted that RAW requires that you do some amount of sharpening to get your best results. Rutt has a tutorial here on dgrin. In LR, there is a sharpening option that you can mask. You can also apply unsharp masks during export through LR or by using the Mogrify plugin that has a bit more control than the standard LR2 path.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    The best RAW processor for your camera is Nikon Capture NX2. Period. You can do other things with ACR/LR but not to the extent you can do with the camera manufacturer's RAW processor which gives you absolute control.

I shoot Nikon and nothing but RAW. I process with CNX2 and can change color profiles (STD, VIVID, etc.). You can change WB, EV exposure compensation or what have you as it has access to everything the sensor saw. I treat RAW as a negative. After processing I save a copy as JPG (or TIFF) to send to other programs (such as PS or PSP) for adding copyright text (CNX2 cannot do text) or to add special filters (Color Efex, Silver Efex, Topaz, to name a few). I then send the JPG to Smugmug (or to print), then delete the JPG copy as all the major changes are saved in the RAW copy (my negative) and they can all be undone at any time on the same RAW image as they are non-destructive.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    VayCay, the jpg that pops out of your camera, came from your RAW file, via the software image processing built into your camera. You can duplicate it with most RAW processors with just a bit of experimenting.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    VayCay, the jpg that pops out of your camera, came from your RAW file, via the software image processing built into your camera. You can duplicate it with most RAW processors with just a bit of experimenting.

nod.gif Not only duplicate it, but come up with something quite a bit better, which is why so many of us insist on shooting RAW. A little investment of time in mastering the conversion software will pay huge dividends in control over your images. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    It's funny but I never had an issue about my RAW files looking good before. I have twiddled away for hours!!
    In both camera RAW and Lightroom 2, so it is not from a lack of experience or effort.

I totally understand that my jpeg file has been tweaked by my camera( right?) And that it took a guess at what it should look like. I have been shooting RAW for well over a year now..I wonder of some settings or such got screwed up somewhere recently. I have had computer issues and did a restore recently.

The good news here is that I took the advice of Alexf, downloaded Capture NX2 and the RAW file looks GREAT! Somehow I could not get to that point with this series of photos ( a family of ten no less!! Big series!) in Lightroom2. Camera RAW, and DXO. I tried presets and many many manual adjustments, grrrrr.

But I knew I could get the help I needed here. I am actually using all the tips I got, because I will continue to bounce around until I find what works best for me and sometimes that is more than one program.
    Thanks everyone.
    Trudy

NIKON D700