Blowing An Opportunity!

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited July 9, 2005 in People
Had a great opportunity on Wednesday to produce and I think I blew it. A local weekly paper I have been doing some work for calls me up and asks if I can go to a local restaurant to shoot the women of The Miss Florida Pageant. Needless to say the lighting wasn't the best.
27414525-M.jpg

They wanted shots of the women interacting, singing, and dancing which is what they were suppose to be doing after they ate dinner.
27414530-M.jpg

27414542-M.jpg

27414548-M.jpg

So I got a few pictures of the girls while they were eating (how rude is that) had a few of them pose for some normal sitting at the table and smile same old same old shots,

27414557-M.jpg

27414564-M.jpg

then I find out the restaurants Karaoke machine took a dump so there would be no singing and hardly any of the girls were getting up to dance

27414579-M.jpg

27416017-M.jpg

and before I knew it they were headed out. I did catch these two

27416021-M.jpg

27416040-M.jpg

but all in all I'm quite dissapointed in the way they came out. What are your thoughts on them.

Joe B

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 8, 2005
    Joe,

I truly admire your professional approach. If I had had the same opportunity, I am pretty sure I would not have been all that concerned about the photographsbiggrinbounce2.gif
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    imax wrote:
    Had a great opportunity on Wednesday to produce and I think I blew it. A local weekly paper I have been doing some work for calls me up and asks if I can go to a local restaurant to shoot the women of The Miss Florida Pageant. Needless to say the lighting wasn't the best.

They wanted shots of the women interacting, singing, and dancing which is what they were suppose to be doing after they ate dinner.

Joe B
    The inside shots and the last several aren't bad, but the obvious issue (to me a least) is lighting. Did you use flash fill on the outside shots? I think that you needed some form of additional light source in any case. I think that you might have gotten a bit closer in (who wouldn't think that). In any event, it looks like was a fun opportunity.

regards,

Gary
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,084 moderator
    edited July 8, 2005
    Need more info.
    Joe,

I don't find any EXIF information attached to your photos? What camera/system are you using? Lighting was a problem in some of the photos, but not all of them. Can you describe the lighting circumstances and your approach?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    The next time you get an opportunity to do a shot like that give me a shout. :D

Bear
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    What a difference between your second and third shots.

On the second they are sitting around looking soooo bored. Then they see you and your camera and the plastic smile reflex kicks in on the third.

The light you had to contend with didn't do you any favours, but your photographs are pretty good. The fact they didn't sing might have been a good thing anyway.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2005
    Did you bring a flash? It would of helped.

I don't know what lenses you have, but overall the comp is poor for most of these. I know shooting in a public place like a restaraunt is hard, but you still need to approach each shot with a plan. It looks like you didn't plan the shot and set yourself for what lens you were using.

Closer shots would of helped. You want the group stuff, but to get some candids, closeup, works to.

You should of been level with the girls. Shooting from standing above them is something we all see in family shots with a point and shoot.

While we are all a slave too often to the available light, we can still see what's there and adjust as well as possible. These girls are used to being photographed, you should of been more confident and set up the shot. They would of followed along.