Options

#35 - Reach for the Sky

MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
edited October 12, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'd love to know what you think. TIA.

"Reach for the Sky"

(Artificial Daisies shot in full sunlight with the sky as the bg. I'm hoping I get time to post a few more images for cc before I make my final decision. Also, if I can get hold of a real flower to re-shoot I will).

4004933624_11d48d1666_o.jpg

4004933762_d265a21d77_o.jpg
Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I like the first one better, but I think that you really need to use a real flower as opposed to the artificial one because the edges of the petals are not that clean, so it's hard to tell whether it's over-sharpened or what...

I'm not sure whether that makes sense - maybe someone else can articulate it better :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thanks yeah, I know what you mean. I see so many over-sharpened pictures that I never do that myself.
    I had a look for a real flower just now, at the supermarket, but there weren't any. I shall continue my search at the florists tomorrow. I shall be victorious lol.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    #1 ... contrast is much more powerful.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thanks Andrew.
    The white Daisy is mine and hubby's favourite too. However, I was worried that the main subject, being white, would be considered unfitting for the challenge theme.

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I agree the white on blue seems to have more punch and interest. It is amazing how much detail our camera sensors capture, making it blatantly obvious that these are both f(ake)lowers.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thank you for taking the time to comment Sherstone.

Not sure it really matters that the flowers are fake to be honest. I have the white daisy as my desktop right now and it looks amazing.
    It's really cheering me up because I am feeling a little low right now.

I was just going to TRY to do a re-shoot with a real daisy, but, I bet it's not going to look so good or I am not going to have a beautiful blue sky like I got today! :cry

I may even try to get a portrait if I can find me a willing model.

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:
    It's really cheering me up because I am feeling a little low right now.

Then it is a Perfect photo!

"If you feel a photograph, you have become part of the photographer"

but since in your case YOU are the photographer than a better thing to say would be

"A photograph is a time machine. Each moment frozen, waiting for us to remember."
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thank you 15524779-Ti.gif