Thoughts and photos from the Shootout

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Landscapes
First of all, thanks to all of those who put on the 2009 Shootout. I've never been on a shootout, workshop, or any other type of photography gathering so was a little nervous about the whole thing.

What a great experience! Lots of really nice people, great places to shoot, and access to very talented photographers, both professional and non-professional, that were more than happy to share their knowledge.

I had a blast and can't wait till next years.

I only have two regrets:
1-that I was too chicken to put my memory card on the table for critiques, and
2-that I stayed at the room for a couple extra hours instead of going out to the harbor in hopes of weather clearing. It cleared and I see some great photos of the area from all of you that went.

Anyway, trying to get through all the files I have so thought I'd share a few that I don't think are too bad.

1. At the falls from under the bridge
678861601_jmDUp-XL.jpg

2. same place just down stream of the bridge
678879251_v5HBw-L.jpg

3. from the bridge
678854371_EnrEP-X2.jpg

4. one of the carriage road bridges
678912721_C49xd-L.jpg

5. near Thunder Hole looking toward Otter Point
(can you find the photographer I have to clone out?)
675503404_dZujE-X2.jpg

6. another carriage road shot next to Jordon
678918617_scoRb-L.jpg

7.Cadillac Mountain
674665742_domqs-L.jpg

8. near Thunder Hole
675522282_5BiRH-L.jpg

It was really nice meeting all of you and I'm looking forward to seeing you next year. Thanks for everything.

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Dave- I really like #2 & #4. I was trying to achieve the same shot in #2 at the bridge but didn't seem to get it. You have a nice sky above. The carriage road in #4 is really inviting me into the picture. I also was nervous about turning in one of my CF cards for critique especially since I didn't have a laptop to even look at the card beforehand but I finally got up the courage on the last morning right before we departed and was very happy I did.

Stephanie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Dave, great to see you thanks for making the trip great, your enthusiasm is now contagious! Really nice pics, love the falls!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Great set with #3 being my favorite, can't beat those colors and the waterfall, great composition as well. An amazing photo.

In #1 it looks like there's a camera bag or something in the upper left, or maybe another dgrinner enthralled with that view? :D
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Great set with #3 being my favorite, can't beat those colors and the waterfall, great composition as well. An amazing photo.

In #1 it looks like there's a camera bag or something in the upper left, or maybe another dgrinner enthralled with that view? :D
    Thanks coscorrosa. Looks like a camera bag, I missed that one. Those darn photographers were everywhere!
    edited October 12, 2009
    Dave- I really like #2 & #4. I was trying to achieve the same shot in #2 at the bridge but didn't seem to get it. You have a nice sky above. The carriage road in #4 is really inviting me into the picture. I also was nervous about turning in one of my CF cards for critique especially since I didn't have a laptop to even look at the card beforehand but I finally got up the courage on the last morning right before we departed and was very happy I did.

Stephanie
    Thanks Stephanie, next time I'll do the same.
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Very nice photos Dave, I like them all, but #3 is probable my favorite. I wish I had thought to take that shot of the carriage road entrance.
    RON
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Good work Dave. clap.gif See you at the next one. wings.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Excellent series, Dave. I wish you'd put your card up for critique--you have some very nice shots. I really like #3--good composition and colors.

Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Nice shots Dave - esp. the waterfall.

Next time definitely toss your card on the table. These are lovely. I felt the same way - definitely humbled by others' talent and skill. But, I'm glad I took the chance on a critique and learned a lot from it.

Hope to join the group again next year!

Ceci
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited October 13, 2009
    Thanks everyone, can't wait to see you all next year.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Nice set Dave. #1 an #2 are particularly noteworthy.

Nice meeting you at the Shootout.
    edited October 13, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Nice set Dave. #1 an #2 are particularly noteworthy.

Nice meeting you at the Shootout.

Thank you Tom, it was nice meeting you as well. Hope to see you next year.
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Beautiful work. I really enjoyed getting to meet you and hang with you. Next time, don't fear the critique!
    edited October 13, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    Beautiful work. I really enjoyed getting to meet you and hang with you. Next time, don't fear the critique!

Thanks! And next time the card goes on the table.