5D Mk I Setting/Custom Programming

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited October 14, 2009 in Cameras
Has anyone ever heard of a setting on or programming the 5D (heck, any Canon body) so you could set a floor on the shutter speed? Manually would be fine; auto or dynamic would be really cool.

By 'floor' I mean not to go below (longer) than say 1/60 as an example? You could go faster: 1/125, 1/400, whatever. This way you could avoid accidentally a shutter speed slower than 1/FL. Dynamic would be to always disallow anything slower than 1/FL, even on a zoom.

I know there is a 2 stage on switch, but it doesn't keep you from going below a certain value. EV +/- doesn't solve it either. Locking in a specific AV and Shutterspeed does, but again doesn't give you the latitude I am talking about.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Nope, never heard of such a thing. Canon don't generally make their cameras that smart. Either the camera is free to do whatever it wants for a given parameter, or you set it manually; no user-set limits.

What I really want is a user-set limit for auto ISO. I find auto ISO useless at present because the camera is far too willing to resort to levels that I would rather avoid. I really don't want my 5D2 going to ISO 3200 unless I tell it to.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    TV Mode
    Dave,

The closest I've come to that is Shutter Priority - TV Mode. I think that would be a great feature. Then again, I use Manual much of the time and Apeture Priority but then that's when I end up needing the bonk in the head to be careful with too slow a shutter speed myself.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    Nope, never heard of such a thing. Canon don't generally make their cameras that smart. Either the camera is free to do whatever it wants for a given parameter, or you set it manually; no user-set limits.

What I really want is a user-set limit for auto ISO. I find auto ISO useless at present because the camera is far too willing to resort to levels that I would rather avoid. I really don't want my 5D2 going to ISO 3200 unless I tell it to.

Well,

That's kind-of like pronouncing the patient dead when a full examination hasn't even been done...

To answer the OP's question ~ Yes

You can use Auto ISO in various modes.

If you use it in TV mode, you can dial in your "floor" shutter speed, say 1/60 sec. Now the camera will change ISO and/or aperture for a correct exposure, leaving your chosen lowest shutter speed in tact. I believe that the maximum ISO it will go up to in Auto ISO is 3200, then it will change other parameters for correct exposure.

If your in AV mode: Set your aperture, then the camera will change the ISO and/or shutter speed for correct exposure. I believe that the maximum ISO it will go up to in Auto ISO is 3200, then it will slow your shutter speed down for correct exposure if needed. Auto ISO follows the 1/FL rule until it has to deviate as stated.

Manual mode: I believe that Auto ISO just sets the ISO to 400, all the time.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
    edited October 13, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Well,

That's kind-of like pronouncing the patient dead when a full examination hasn't even been done...

To answer the OP's question ~ Yes

One of us didn't understand the original question, then. I could be wrong, of course, but I think what the OP was asking was whether there is some way you can tell the camera, "Use any shutter speed you want as long as it is no slower than X." In other words, setting a limit, not forcing a specific value; I think that's why he used the term "floor." This is not what you get in Av, Tv, M, or any other mode, with any option or custom function, as far as I know.

edited October 13, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    One of us didn't understand the original question, then. I could be wrong, of course, but I think what the OP was asking was whether there is some way you can tell the camera, "Use any shutter speed you want as long as it is no slower than X." In other words, setting a limit, not forcing a specific value; I think that's why he used the term "floor." This is not what you get in Av, Tv, M, or any other mode, with any option or custom function, as far as I know.

In AV mode with Auto ISO, this is exactly what happens. It follows the 1/FL (as per the OP's original request) until it has to deviate from this when the ISO tops out at 3200 (for Auto ISO), and it still needs more light for a proper exposure. Then it will go below 1/FL as needed for proper exposure.
    Randy
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    In AV mode with Auto ISO, this is exactly what happens. It follows the 1/FL (as per the OP's original request) until it has to deviate from this when the ISO tops out at 3200 (for Auto ISO), and it still needs more light for a proper exposure. Then it will go below 1/FL as needed for proper exposure.

Randy - then there is no floor! Shutter speed might expose properly but you will show movement and your focus will appear off because your subject will blur from motion!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited October 13, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    [/u][/i][/b]

Randy - then there is no floor! Shutter speed might expose properly but you will show movement and your focus will appear off because your subject will blur from motion!

Hey Kat,

I have to disagree here within the context of the camera modes & what I read the OP to ask. I would certainly be misguided here if I thought that the OP was asking for a mode that could be set and never have to pay any attention to what the camera is doing, and always produce a good image. But he/she did ask specifically about a shutter speed "floor" & stated that a mode that followed the 1/FL would suffice.

The "floor" is tied to light, shutter speed, aperture, ISO. I think everyone is aware of this & I got from the OP's request that he/she also understands such.

What I read the OP to ask was; is there a mode that would allow the camera to follow the 1/FL rule. The answer is yes, given the limitations of the previously stated items.

As you & I previously stated, you can also set an absolute "floor" shutter speed in either TV or manual mode.
    Randy
    edited October 13, 2009
    rwells wrote:

I think you've read the OP's question (and my subsequent description) backwards. I think he wants a mode where if he sets the camera to, say, 1/100 sec., the camera may choose 1/160, 1/200, or 1/400 to obtain a correct exposure, but it will NOT choose 1/80 or 1/50. He's trying to prevent having too long an exposure (probably to ensure that the exposure time will not exceed the amount of time he can keep the camera steady in his hand), but is willing to accept a shorter one. What you're describing seems to be the opposite: a longer exposure is possible if necessary, but not a shorter one.

Refer back to the original post:
    jdryan3 wrote:
    By 'floor' I mean not to go below (longer) than say 1/60 as an example? You could go faster: 1/125, 1/400, whatever. This way you could avoid accidentally a shutter speed slower than 1/FL. Dynamic would be to always disallow anything slower than 1/FL, even on a zoom.

edited October 13, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    I think you've read the OP's question (and my subsequent description) backwards. I think he wants a mode where if he sets the camera to, say, 1/100 sec., the camera may choose 1/160, 1/200, or 1/400 to obtain a correct exposure, but it will NOT choose 1/80 or 1/50. He's trying to prevent having too long an exposure (probably to ensure that the exposure time will not exceed the amount of time he can keep the camera steady in his hand), but is willing to accept a shorter one. What you're describing seems to be the opposite: a longer exposure is possible if necessary, but not a shorter one.

Refer back to the original post:

Hey Craig,

I've read the OP's questions. (thanks for the backwards comment though)

I've listed ways to do what he/she generally requested.

Once the limits of such modes are reached, photographic/equipment common sense have to kick-in. That's true in any mode, with any brand of camera. Yes, that even applies to manual mode.

In AV mode with Auto ISO, it will accomplish what the OP requested, until the exposure level drops down past the 1/FL level, then other choices have to be made. Open the aperture wider if available. Add fill flash, etc...

If we're not going to consider common sense here, then no mode is going to work...

Let's wait and here back from the OP as to what he/she really wanted, and wheather or not my suggestions work for him/her. I posted options for the OP ~ simple as that.
    Randy
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Dave,

The closest I've come to that is Shutter Priority - TV Mode. I think that would be a great feature. Then again, I use Manual much of the time and Apeture Priority but then that's when I end up needing the bonk in the head to be careful with too slow a shutter speed myself.
    Ditto on Manual, with the occassional AV But I forgot the bonk :smack
    ChatKat wrote:
    Shutter speed might expose properly but you will show movement and your focus will appear off because your subject will blur from motion!
    craig_d wrote:
    He's trying to prevent having too long an exposure (probably to ensure that the exposure time will not exceed the amount of time he can keep the camera steady in his hand), but is willing to accept a shorter one.
    And that be what I did.

Randy - Thanks for the feedback, but while I did parenthetically ask about any Canon model, I was referring to the 5D Mk I. No auto-ISO (heck not even a dedicated ISO button like the 50D). As an aside, I was asking about a specific shutter speed floor the way the others were thinking about it, rather than an an auto-ISO /f-stop/shutter speed combo. Sorry if I was too ambiguous. What I was thinking of was something when shooting in manual mode where the camera won't fire and you get a warning like the 'blinkies' when in 'P' but the shot is over/under exposed

Kathy being my location lighting compadre, I appreciate her chiming in here and Craig hit it on the head also. I was shooting with fill flash an indoor scene lit my early/mid morning light. Done in Manual, most of the shots were f/5.6, ISO 100, using a 24-70. Those settings were about 1/2 stop under exposed and I had dialed down the ABs to 1/4 to 1/8. Shots came out as they wanted. I also ended up shooting some at f/8 for greated DOF, and was so focused on remembering to adjust the ABs, I just dialed down the shutter speed (which worked fine for f/5.6 as I zoomed or the sun moved in and out). Rather than just bump up the ISO to 200 :thwak

And I therefore moved into 1/30 & 1/60 at 50-60mm. Barely noticeable on the preview screen, especially since I was looking at overall lighting effect and exposure when doing the monkey:photo . If I had been using the 70-200 @ f/8 I probably would have seen it.

Ironically I have the non-flash sports/landscape triad down pat. More or less the same for tripod with AB (which is what this was supposed to be), and even the AB or shoe flash handheld where the ambient/main light is much less dynamic than a Sunday morning sun peaking in and out of the clouds and into an office.

I'm just glad I had the chance to have so much fun and get out and shoot wings.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac