Snow in Yellowstone

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 25, 2009 in Landscapes
Don't eat the Yellowstone!

When I noticed the snow falling in Yellowstone during the last day of September I got pretty excited, being able to get some elk (in rut!) and bison shots in the snow was more than I could ask for (without all the crazy stuff you have to go through to get around Yellowstone in the winter). And of course, the landscapes become that much more interesting.

Here are some of my favorite snowscapes from Yellowstone, I haven't processed the wildlife shots yet.

#1: Madison River

679115887_255pu-XL.jpg

#2: Moose Falls

679119728_N2Pqd-XL.jpg

#3:

679111995_QiFmg-XL.jpg

#4: Firehole Canyon/River

679113992_gjHZN-XL.jpg

#5:

679069162_Ay6pp-XL.jpg

OK I lied, I have processed one wildlife shot, I had to take this with my full frame camera as the crop body with a 500mm lens was too close! So it was there along with the landscapes.

679072680_Dvb3T-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Love them all but especially the elk shot. Those warm gloves that allow us to work the camera is an invention waiting to be invented.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    All fine shots, Ron...but the fifth one really does it for me...wonderful! thumb.gifD
  • BobRBobR Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Gorgeous series...love #2 and #4:D
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 13, 2009
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Terrific shots, Ron, but especially the elk--superb! It's been many years since I was in Yellowstone--you've inspired me to dig out my old 35mm negs! I enjoyed the tour and can't wait for the rest of the wildlife shots.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Love them all but especially the elk shot. Those warm gloves that allow us to work the camera is an invention waiting to be invented.

Thanks Dan - I agree. A week later and my hands are starting to feel less and less like sand paper, so that's good. 30 degrees is fine, it's the 10 degrees and less that I really start to regret my choice of hobbies :D
    edited October 13, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    All fine shots, Ron...but the fifth one really does it for me...wonderful! thumb.gifD

Thanks Ric! I thought it was pretty cool how the trees were covered in snow but the ground with the hot spring waters was still clear.
    edited October 13, 2009
    BobR wrote:
    Gorgeous series...love #2 and #4:D

Thanks Bob, I got real lucky with that waterfall to get the snow and peak fall color, I was pretty excited. This was just a 10 minute stop on my way to Grand Teton from Yellowstone - glad I decided to pull over and check out the waterfall.
    edited October 13, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    great shots Ron, elk steals the show:D
    phil

Thanks Phil, that spike was really hamming it up the whole time I was there, I saw him and two cows pretty consistently over a three day period, and the main bull elk around seemed not to mind him so much. I have a few more wildlife shots that I think are better than this one but I haven't viewed them on anything but a 3" LCD screen yet :D
    edited October 13, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Terrific shots, Ron, but especially the elk--superb! It's been many years since I was in Yellowstone--you've inspired me to dig out my old 35mm negs! I enjoyed the tour and can't wait for the rest of the wildlife shots.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren, it's a fantastic spot for nature photography, so many accessible animals, crazy landscapes, etc. And for me it's only 11 hours driving away, which means I can get there on three or four day weekend without much advanced planning.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I used to live in Mountain Home, ID, which was about an 8-hour drive, and I went for about 4 summers in a row for opening day on the river. If I lived where you are, I'd be makin' those short-notice road trips too! :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2009
    All are beautiful, but as already stated, the elk shot wins hands down. Love the snow flakes!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I like them all but the elk is my favorite.
    RON
  • JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Love the elk and #5. The contrasting colors in 5 are a great comp.
    edited October 17, 2009
    Thanks, looks like everyone likes that elk photo!

Here are the wildlife photos from the trip: http://photos.coscorrosa.com/Animals/Yellowstone-and-Grand-Teton (first 36), I should go post some of these in the wildlife forum. You'll notice that same elk in several of the shots, it seems like we ran into each other every day I was out there.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Great stuff, number 5 for me, is a masterpiece. thumb.gif
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Gorgeous shots, Ron. The elk shot is beautiful, but I'm gonna be different and pick the Moose Falls shot as my favorite; I absolutely love that little waterfall. I had it all to myself for a bit when I was there several weeks ago.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
    edited October 25, 2009
    Gorgeous shots, Ron. The elk shot is beautiful, but I'm gonna be different and pick the Moose Falls shot as my favorite; I absolutely love that little waterfall. I had it all to myself for a bit when I was there several weeks ago.

Kristine

Thanks, it's obviously a lot more out of the way and less popular than the Grand Canyon waterfalls, but I liked it a lot, and had it in perfect conditions with snow and fall color, I couldn't have asked for anything better. I only saw one other couple in the 45 minutes I was there.