Options

Help with Lightroom :(

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited October 17, 2009 in Finishing School
Good morning. Loving and hating Lightroom today! Can anyone tell me how I can consistently get lightroom to display a photo that was edited in photoshop? Sometimes if I edit in photoshop the photo will appear next to the original and at other times not. Will just display 1 of 2. Sometimes it will display it in the original order and at others it will put it at the end of the gallery. At this moment I can't even find how to display the edit! Usually if I go to import photos from disk it will say they are already in the library and I will choose view in library and get them. Today I can find them at all! URGH!!! There is no rhyme or reason to why this happens. I haven't changed anything. Am using Lightroom 2 on a MAC platform. Any ideas?
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    IF you take a Raw and edit in Photoshop, LR has to render that data into a TIFF (or whatever you’ve set in your preferences), edit in PS then that new rendered image is placed in the library next to the original Raw (that’s why you see two images). You could setup a smart collection to find all images edited in a certain date range or by type to keep track. The reason you don’t see two images (original and PS edited) is probably due to how you handle the original, if its a Raw or not etc. Anytime you edit a Raw, its untouched, a new copy is build and added to the library. IF you edit that Photoshop edited image now, you pop a dialog asking if you want to edit that or a copy (of the copy). If you edit that 1st Photoshop file, it then ends up back in the catalog as the edit (not a new copy unless you asked for it).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    IF you take a Raw and edit in Photoshop, LR has to render that data into a TIFF (or whatever you’ve set in your preferences), edit in PS then that new rendered image is placed in the library next to the original Raw (that’s why you see two images). You could setup a smart collection to find all images edited in a certain date range or by type to keep track. The reason you don’t see two images (original and PS edited) is probably due to how you handle the original, if its a Raw or not etc. Anytime you edit a Raw, its untouched, a new copy is build and added to the library. IF you edit that Photoshop edited image now, you pop a dialog asking if you want to edit that or a copy (of the copy). If you edit that 1st Photoshop file, it then ends up back in the catalog as the edit (not a new copy unless you asked for it).

Thanks....but I edited in photoshop an exported then reimported jpeg. I just can't see the edit I did...
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    jheuserjheuser Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    In library view, are you on recently imported, or the folder you imported too. If I import a bunch, to some editing in LR, then export to PS, Photomatix etc then save I sometimes lose the photos as well.

If i haven't changed from recently imported to the folder I actually imported too, I won't see my pics either.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Thanks....but I edited in photoshop an exported then reimported jpeg. I just can't see the edit I did...

The one of two thing is LR stacking the edited version in with the original. You can select expand stack to view both images.

If you can't see the edited image at all, even as a stack, try importing it into the catalog. LR might not find it if you saved under a different folder or somesuch.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I've found if you save-as in CS, the result isn't where you expect it. So if LR is set up to use TIFF files, then it is looking to stack the TIFF with your DNG. If you save-as a JPG, I believe you are side-stepping LR and you need to re-import that image to the catalog. FWIW, is there a reason you are using the CS jpeg export instead of leaving it as TIFF (disk space constraints?).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    mjsmjs Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Some clarification
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I've found if you save-as in CS, the result isn't where you expect it. So if LR is set up to use TIFF files, then it is looking to stack the TIFF with your DNG. If you save-as a JPG, I believe you are side-stepping LR and you need to re-import that image to the catalog. FWIW, is there a reason you are using the CS jpeg export instead of leaving it as TIFF (disk space constraints?).

Not sure I totally understand the issues but here is my work flow. I import my originals into LR. I then edit in LR and send to PS for minor touches. When in PS I save with changes and it then returns to LR next to the original.

I have my folders on my hard drive exactly the same as my folders in LR. If I originate an edit in PS I then save to my hard drive. If I want that edited image to appear in PS I go to the library tab in LR and click the synchronize option and the file is sent to LR. You have to do this process when you are in the folder you want to sync up.
    msabatini.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    If you save as psd in photoshop, the psd file, with edits, will show in LR. Of course, you will not see the edits as LR edits, it will just be the editted file. Saving as psd allows you to go back to the photoshop file for edits, and since you can create a jpg anytime with LR, there is no reason to save as jpg. This also means you dont have to reimport.
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Howdy.

Hello, Sandy.

Once again, Master Mason has offered sage advice. You would do well to heed it. When Lr and Ps are used together as the Adobe engineers intended, it's easy and effective.

Below is a tutorial illustrating the basic Lr/Ps interaction. It's for CS3, but I'm pretty sure CS2 works the same.

522739301_mM9rW-O.jpg

For more about working with Lr and Ps, the text that goes with this visual can be found here.

One other thing. In Lr Library module, the default sort mode is by capture time. There is quite a list of other options. If you are missing an image, go to Menu>View>Sort. Make sure the sorting option is appropriate. Some of them will rearrange your images in ways that separate a Lr thumbnail from its Ps edit copy thumbnail.

Hope this helps.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com