Options

Someone wants me to photograph their wedding! EEEK!

NensleyNensley Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited October 14, 2009 in Weddings
I just put together my site, and someone contacted me to do her wedding next month. Apparently her photographer canceled on her. I haven't ever thought about doing a wedding, and I don't know where to begin. I told her that I've never done a wedding, but she still wants to hire me. I don't know a thing about pricing for an event like that. I am just now getting my family and children photo prices set. I don't even have a lens that is suitable. All I have is my 18-55 mm that came with my Nikon. I would be willing to purchase a new lens though, if I decide to do this. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Say no
    If you haven't even 2nd shot a wedding, or have the right gear, the best way to create a problem for yourself is to do a job that there are no re-do's for.

I can tell you that a wedding is so fluid that I shoot with two cameras and an extra one in case. I have a minimum of three lenses but more often 6 of them and three speedlights. The smallest wedding I shot - my first - I still had at least two of everything. What if one thing fails? And don't forget that you will need enough memory for 1000 photos - or more.

Scott Quier wrote a great thread on what it takes. Someone will post a link. You need a lot more than one camera and lens. You also need contracts, insurance and more. If you don't have it - say no. The first thing a good business person knows is their limitations.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Have to agree
    15524779-Ti.gifnod.gif I think this is an opportunity for you to do the right thing and "Just say no." I don't think you are prepared, nor is there time to prepare, for shooting your first wedding. I think, with an investment in time, practice, and $$ for equipment you could be prepared to do a fine job of shooting a wedding - this just isn't it.

It sounds to me like you are woefully un-prepared for shooting a wedding and one more lens is not going to close the gap. You need to prepare for a wedding assuming that any piece of kit of which you have only one ... that's the one piece of your kit that will fail you and right before the first kiss (or some other critical moment :D).

There's just too much that can go wrong. Kathy's comment about the fluid nature of a wedding/reception is spot on. You just have to be prepared to respond to the unexpected .... 'cause it's going to happen. I found learning the process of shooting a wedding to be a very painful process. Learning on the fly and by yourself is NO FUN. If you can, find a photographer that will allow you to 2nd shoot once or twice (at least) before you attempt to do one by yourself.

The link to which Kathy refers is found in my signature. In addition, there's lots of information to be found in the wedding resources thread - a sticky found at the top of the Wedding Forum. Give that information a once over.

I have other thoughts but am reluctant to voice them in an open forum. PM me if you are interested.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    I very much appreciate you both sharing your thoughts! I am definitely going to say no. I already said no once, but she is persistent. I might be dealing with a bridezilla here. I know I would never have considered hiring a photographer who readily admits she has never done a wedding and isn't ready to do one. She wants to be my "guinea pig". I think it's absurd, actually. I was having a moment of weakness last night when I posted because another photographer friend is encouraging me to do it. I needed to hear some voices of reason and I appreciate it!!!

Maybe one day I will shoot weddings, but for now, my focus is on babies and families! That is where my heart is!!

Thanks again, and thanks for being so gentle. I find on a lot of photography forums that people can be very condescending, everyone here has been nothing but helpful and kind to me!!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nensley wrote:
    I very much appreciate you both sharing your thoughts! I am definitely going to say no. I already said no once, but she is persistent. I might be dealing with a bridezilla here. I know I would never have considered hiring a photographer who readily admits she has never done a wedding and isn't ready to do one. She wants to be my "guinea pig". I think it's absurd, actually. I was having a moment of weakness last night when I posted because another photographer friend is encouraging me to do it. I needed to hear some voices of reason and I appreciate it!!!

Maybe one day I will shoot weddings, but for now, my focus is on babies and families! That is where my heart is!!

Thanks again, and thanks for being so gentle. I find on a lot of photography forums that people can be very condescending, everyone here has been nothing but helpful and kind to me!!
    Looking at the high-lighted stuff above, I think what you have here is someone who wants to take advantage of a novice and ride them, cause them to compromise on everything and get lots of service for next to nothing. Your first thought (above) pretty much tells me you are right in what you have already done - run, don't walk, away from this. thumb.gif good on you!

Besides, if your heart is in something else, then that's where you need to be. Anything less will show in your work and that's frustration for you and a dis-service for your client. Good call!!!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif Don't do it.

As tempting as it sounds, and I'm sure you feel SUPER flattered that they really want you to photograph their event. If you haven't ever shot a wedding, there is a lot of stuff that you need to be aware of, watch out for, .... not only is it hard to deal with changing light conditions, bu you also need to "entertain" people, get your shots, while you stay out of the way of everybody. You never know what will happen.

You should take it as a compliment, and consider second shooting with somebody first and see if this would be anything for you. There is a lot of stress involved, and A LOT can go wrong. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 14, 2009
    I did a wedding for a family member that was flat broke. I didn't charge them anything for the photos, they were our wedding gift to them. It was my first & last wedding. I did an "OK" job in my opinion. In the bride and groom eyes, the shots were fantastic. That was 25 years ago.

Jump ahead 25 years:
    From looking at your Smugmug site, I think you could do an "OK" job also. The self inflicted pressure on you to do a good job would be tremendous. Since you are not, at this time, a wedding photographer, I would tell the bride "thank you for choosing me, but I am not properly equipped to do a wedding". You mention only having one lens...what about a back up body? Do you have any lights/flash equipment? Do you have a 2nd shooter? The last wedding I attended as a guest, the photographer had a "studio" set up for formal shots of anyone that wanted them.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    She emailed me again this morning. I sent her the second very firm no. I hope she gets it this time. Poor thing, I know she is stressed. Her wedding is five weeks away.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nensley, check your PMs.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I was in the same boat a month or two ago: friend asked me to photograph her brother's wedding in Dec. I've never done event photography before, let alone weddings. I was really tempted; my other friend is urging me to do it. I finally gave her my firmest "no" (it was the third "no") and they eventually went with her mom's nurse friend who apparently does photography on the side. I asked her to link me the lady's website out of curiosity. Haven't linked it to me yet.

But yep, I think that was a good choice on your part. For me, I figured having a bad experience on the first wedding would not bode well for the second. Opportunities will come around again, and being more prepared will ensure even more opportunities in the future.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nensley,

I have "spoken" (email and voicemail :D ) with her and the wheels have sloooooooooowly began to turn! clap.gif You may even know the details before I do, but this just goes to prove what an OUTSTANDING digital community we have here on DGrin! :ivar

woohoo.gif
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Nensley,

I have "spoken" (email and voicemail :D ) with her and the wheels have sloooooooooowly began to turn! clap.gif You may even know the details before I do, but this just goes to prove what an OUTSTANDING digital community we have here on DGrin! :ivar

woohoo.gif

That is awesome!!!! I am so happy for you and her!