Digital crossroads

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited October 15, 2009 in Street and Documentary
670728885_TgNCM-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nice catch, rainbow. I think the intersection might have worked better with a greater DOF. The blur of the rear one suggests that it is to be ignored, but that's not what you want here.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    rainbow wrote:

Love it! And I'm going to disagree with Richard - I think the sharp depth of field fading into the out-of-focus area works fine - it's almost like seeing a crossroads, with the one road fading off into the distance.

Also, not shockingly, I would go with black and white, which puts more emphasis on the faces and the flutes...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Nice catch, rainbow. I think the intersection might have worked better with a greater DOF. The blur of the rear one suggests that it is to be ignored, but that's not what you want here.

My initial impression was exactly that more DOF would have been better. As I repeatedly viewed it, I was less convinced, though having the third girl more in focus would have made for a nice triangle of the three performers. However, I am not certain that it would not have drawn off too much attention from the patterns of the flutes, arms, and (only noticed by myself much later) the music stand angles.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Love it! And I'm going to disagree with Richard - I think the sharp depth of field fading into the out-of-focus area works fine - it's almost like seeing a crossroads, with the one road fading off into the distance.

Also, not shockingly, I would go with black and white, which puts more emphasis on the faces and the flutes...

Thank you for the feedback. I think I am fortunate in having the DOF work for this shot whether as is or if I had increased it.

In this shot, I think the difference between color and B & W is marginal, since the skin tones do stand out against the rest of the shot. Converting to B & W brings out the flutes some, but I think the central hand contrast draws too much attention to it now. You have me looking and thinking more about B & W as options on my photos.
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    The B&W does it best for me, I find that with the color shot, I'm distracted by the background colors and lighter spots. Nice shot.
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    OrvSal wrote:
    The B&W does it best for me, I find that with the color shot, I'm distracted by the background colors and lighter spots. Nice shot.

Perhaps... OTOH, on the color, the flutes look silver to me. On the B & W, the flutes look like blown out highlights... And I can really go either way. This color v B & W is part of another discussion in a thread in the techniques section.

Thanks for looking and commenting!
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Is this more like what you were looking for in the B&W? I'll remove this if you wish.

681387362_92xNj-M.jpg
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    OrvSal wrote:
    Is this more like what you were looking for in the B&W? I'll remove this if you wish.

681387362_92xNj-M.jpg

The flutes are better. However, I currently tend toward shooting and leaving shots in color unless there is a compelling reason to convert. In this shot, I think one might prefer one over the other, but I am content to leave it as a color shot.

Might want to check out this thread for a color v B & W discussion: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=146785

Thanks for the time and attention you put into this conversion.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    but I am content to leave it as a color shot.

While the conversion are very good, IMO the crossroads idea still comes across stronger in color. The B&Ws have more pop, though. I guess it all depends on what you want to convey. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    The flutes are better. However, I currently tend toward shooting and leaving shots in color unless there is a compelling reason to convert. In this shot, I think one might prefer one over the other, but I am content to leave it as a color shot.

As you can already probably guess I'm of the opposite school. I really feel that colour needs to be a part of the story before I leave it. In this case, I feel the colour version is flat and somewhat murky. But to be brutally honest, I don't really get the story in this shot in colour or B&W.
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    As you can already probably guess I'm of the opposite school. I really feel that colour needs to be a part of the story before I leave it. In this case, I feel the colour version is flat and somewhat murky. But to be brutally honest, I don't really get the story in this shot in colour or B&W.
    ne_nau.gif

This is more a graphic image than a story telling image - which is fine.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed