babies everywhere

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 14, 2009 in People
Two days ago my husband and I drove from Houston to FL to attend my cousin's wedding, as well as what my cousins and I call "Cousins' Day." We started the latter when most of us hit our late teens, early twenties because we started to move away from NYC where we grew up. I've missed more than a handful of Cousins' Day (a yearly event), so I'm so happy to have been there.

These are snaps of the second generation cousins, as well as a couple of my mom and aunts. It's so strange to realize how much time has passed and that almost all of my cousins have kids.

680353665_Wuyci-L.jpg

2. He's five. When I asked him if I could take his picture, he broke into this "funny face." After I took the shot, I asked him about his expression and he replied, "I like it. Is cute." I decided right there that I wanted to clone him and put him in my pocket. Did I mention that for fun he whips out flash cards and an abacus?
680353117_VdVk7-L.jpg

680355285_NAJX4-L.jpg

680355070_kBhvi-L.jpg

680354899_3Bi5X-L.jpg

680354699_eN5H5-L.jpg

There were more babies, but camera shy lol. There was so much going on and so many people and colors that I figured black and white would be best.

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Oh, I love this set and your use of a shallow DOF. Black and white works very well for these.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Marikris. This set is AWESOME!! I love what you did in these shots. It is fun to see you shoot MY favorite subject (kids!):) These pictures tell a story with your DOF and b/w touches. THANKS for sharing. Great job clap.gif !
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Very nice set all around. #5 is fantastic, the way the little girl looks like she's giving "the look" to the adult!! The use of DOF in #6 is really nice [see, I do get some OOF stuff].
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Good eyes ++ love the b&w job you did to them!! clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Love this set, Kris, especially #1. The "look" you gave them all is perfect for the mood and subjects. Great job! thumb.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Hi Marikis,
    Great setclap.gif
    Really like all of them but #4 is a standout for me.

Great idea this "cousins day"--
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I really like these Mari. The B&W PP and control of the DOF work well and give a sense of nastalgia. I think #1 is my favorite. Thank you for sharing.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I love #1! Great set!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    #6... all the love, all the years at that table , that is what makes families so wonderful. babies coming into the world, grandparents enjoying the fullness of life. Neat! Black and white was a brilliant way to go.
    Priceless memories you got there. Congrats.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Thank you guys so much! I wanted to test myself by photographing at a time when I had very little control. Someday I'd like to get into weddings (well, maybe hehe) and I had a lot of fun playing with my 50mm 1.4, which I have been using pretty extensively after promising myself to really try to get comfortable with this prime lens. I also used a Gary Fong cloud for the first time ever, but my flash has a broken foot (I had replaced it early this year and I must have jacked up something because it won't tighten. Go me!) so that kept sliding off my camera when I switched off landscape orientation.

This experience gave me a good appreciation for you 'togs who do events and kids lol.

bowdown.gif to you!

PS. Gosh I'm still thinking about it and not being able to say "Ok, stop, pose right there" or "Take two!" is really nerve racking.