recommendations for a new camera

tumundoyatumundoya Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 18, 2009 in Cameras
I would like to buy a nwe nikon body (digital) where I can use my zoom (non digital SLR).
I would like to get recommendations for the models to look into.
Regards

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    tumundoya wrote:
    I would like to buy a nwe nikon body (digital) where I can use my zoom (non digital SLR).
    I would like to get recommendations for the models to look into.
    Regards

You'll need to be more specific than that. I take it you have some older Nikon lenses already, and would like to use them on a DSLR? That probably means that you'll need a body that has the ability to focus lenses that don't have built-in motors (screw drive bodies). This means you'll need a D90 or higher up in the Nikon line (D300, D700, D3). The "consumer" bodies do not have screw drives in them and can only autofocus with lenses that have built-in motors. Nikon calls these lenses AF-S. 3rd party manufacturers also make lenses with built-in motors.

DSLRs come in a couple of flavors, as well. D300 and D90, as well as the lower-end consumer bodies like D5000, D3000, D60, D40, use a sensor that is smaller than 35mm film, with the effect of "multiplying" your lens's focal range by about 1.5. Thus, a 50mm "normal" lens becomes equivalent to a 75mm short telephoto. This is referred to as a DX sensor. If your lens collection is already built around a 35mm film system, you may be able to use the lenses on a DX body, but you will lose some of your wide angle ability (but gain some on the tele end). It's just something to keep in mind. You may need to go and buy a new lens or two to regain the wide angle.

There is also an FX sensor, found on D700 and D3. These sensors are the same size as 35mm film, and so your lenses will have the same effective focal length to which you are accustomed. They are both considered semi-pro to pro grade cameras, and are both rated very highly. They are also both significantly more expensive than any DX body. It would probably be cheaper to get a D300s body and a new wide angle DX lens (depending on which lens you buy) than to buy into the FX platform. That is up to you and your wallet.

If you can be more specific as to what lenses you already have and would like to continue to use in a digital system, or more details about your photographic interests, we can target advice more appropriately. Good luck! I just bought my first DSLR this year, and am absolutely loving it.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Recommend the Nikon D90 has built in motor for AF crop factor 1.5 for serious amateurs.

Nikon D700 built in motor for Af no crop factor full frame this along with the D300, D3 are the pro cameras. D300 has a crop 1.5

Older D200, D80, D70, D50 are discontinued cameras that have worked well for many people, they all have motors for AF built in and can be purshased used for some good deals.

The D40, D60, D3000, D5000 do not have motors for AF, you need lens with motors built into them for AF to work.

Happy Hunting
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Also if the zoom lens is not AF it will only meter on a D200/300/700 or pro D# body.

2 main questions:

What lenses do you have?

What types of shots are you looking to do? (Macro, portrait, landscape, city life, concerts, etc.)