My Acadia shootout

SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Landscapes
First I want to thank those who put this wonderful learning adventure together. I had a fantastic time. I met a lot of very nice people and made some new friends. I'm sorry that at times I slowed things down with my bad back and leg.

Andy, Dave and Marc were kind enough to put up with all my questions and gave me a lot of great advice.

I have been into photography for a long time but have done very little landscape work, so this was very much a learning experience for me.

I have a lot more to process after these.

Since this is probable my favorite of the pictures I got, I'll put this first.
mg5612.jpg

Close to thunderhole at about sunrise.
mg56602.jpg

Sunrise.
mg5692.jpg

mg57043.jpg

Jordan pond
mg5736.jpg

Also at Jordan pond. I was going to delete this one before Marc's critique because of the out of focus leaves. He actually liked them. Shows how little I know.
mg5737.jpg
RON

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Great photos 4th is my favorite mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Hey Ron!!!

It was nice meeting you - a new friend indeed!!

#4 - Wow!!

#5 - I like the reflections, and the foreground. I think I would have tried to recover more the sky though.

#6 - I still like this one. The colors in the background, the foreground, and the bird - they all work so well together!!\
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nice set. I also really like #4!

I enjoyed meeting you and everyone. I know what you mean about backs and legs. Getting down to ground level was one thing - getting back up was something else all together!mwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nice set Ron. I particularly like #2 and #4. I agree with Scott, I think you have some detail in the sky you can pull out with a gradient filter.

Nice rooming with you.
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Great photos 4th is my favorite mwink.gif

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    RON
    edited October 14, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    4 and 6 for me thumb.gif

Thanks Dan. I wish I had thought of that Jordan pond shot you got.
    RON
    edited October 14, 2009
    Hey Ron!!!

It was nice meeting you - a new friend indeed!!

#4 - Wow!!

#5 - I like the reflections, and the foreground. I think I would have tried to recover more the sky though.

#6 - I still like this one. The colors in the background, the foreground, and the bird - they all work so well together!!\
    Thanks Scott. You and your wife are on my friends list.

My wife loved #4 and wants me to make a big print for her office. The others I'm guilty of not putting much work into.

We had a lot of fun that last day tryiny to follow Andy around.
    RON
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    WTG Ron, great to see you at Acadia! clap.gif
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Love #4 Ron. Hope your back is on the mend now that you're not climbing all over Acadia.
    edited October 14, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Nice set. I also really like #4!

I enjoyed meeting you and everyone. I know what you mean about backs and legs. Getting down to ground level was one thing - getting back up was something else all together!mwink.gif

I enjoyed meeting you also as well as the others.

I sure know what you mean by getting up and down.
    RON
    edited October 14, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Nice set Ron. I particularly like #2 and #4. I agree with Scott, I think you have some detail in the sky you can pull out with a gradient filter.

Nice rooming with you.

Thanks Tom.

I think I should go back over this and some others and work on the sky. I'm sure there is a lot of detail to pull out if I try.

I couldn't have asked for a better room mate.
    RON
    edited October 14, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Love #4 Ron. Hope your back is on the mend now that you're not climbing all over Acadia.

Thanks Dave. It was nice meeting you.

I'm sure the back will get better if I follow the doctors orders and take it easy.
    RON
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Good stuff Ron! thumb.gif

I keep going back to #3. Very cool sky and I dig the texture the water is giving the image.
    edited October 15, 2009
    Good stuff Ron! thumb.gif

I keep going back to #3. Very cool sky and I dig the texture the water is giving the image.

Thanks Chris.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what makes a good sunrise. Marc said I should have got something in the foreground, which would have been hard from my vantage point. Lighter and let the sun really blow out? I don't know. Maybe some kind of filter.
    RON
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    WTG Ron, great to see you at Acadia! clap.gif
    Thanks Andy.

It was a pleasure meeting you, Dave and Marc. Thanks for the advice, tips and pointer you,Dave and Marc gave me.
    RON
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:
    Thanks Chris.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what makes a good sunrise. Marc said I should have got something in the foreground, which would have been hard from my vantage point. Lighter and let the sun really blow out? I don't know. Maybe some kind of filter.

Funny, I kept hearing Mark saying that while I was staring at it rolleyes1.gif I figured the fact that I kept staring at was justification :D
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Nice pics Ron. I like 2,4,and 5 the best. These are showing the sweet light. thumb.gif
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    It was great hanging with you, Ron. I agree with others on #4. The simple geometry of #1 strikes my fancy as well.
    edited October 16, 2009
    Fred W wrote:
    Nice pics Ron. I like 2,4,and 5 the best. These are showing the sweet light. thumb.gif

Thanks Fred.
    RON
    edited October 16, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    It was great hanging with you, Ron. I agree with others on #4. The simple geometry of #1 strikes my fancy as well.

Thanks Harry.

I'm glad you liked #1 also.
    RON
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:
    First I want to thank those who put this wonderful learning adventure together. I had a fantastic time. I met a lot of very nice people and made some new friends. I'm sorry that at times I slowed things down with my bad back and leg.

Andy, Dave and Marc were kind enough to put up with all my questions and gave me a lot of great advice.

I have been into photography for a long time but have done very little landscape work, so this was very much a learning experience for me.

I have a lot more to process after these.

Also at Jordan pond. I was going to delete this one before Marc's critique because of the out of focus leaves. He actually liked them. Shows how little I know.
    mg5737.jpg

I probably shot this same cormmorant a week earlier. He was on this same rock. Must have sat there for a half hour before he finally flew away.
    edited October 18, 2009
    He seemed to be quite tame. He just sat there while several people took pictures. Usually you can't get near one without it flying.
    RON