question on lens and the body

snoopy198520snoopy198520 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 14, 2009 in Cameras
Hi

i from singapore i recently just bought a canon dslr camera. i going oversea soon for a week and i have alot of enquiry to ask. 1st this is my first time bringing my camera out to winter country and the lowest it can go is like -4 to -6. And i have only the crumpler camera bag will that be enough? 2nd how am i going prevent the lens going fungus and stuff...? 3rd when i am at outdoor that is cold and want to go in to a restaurant or a hotel which they have heater and is warm what thing i have to look out for my lens? i really need help. If anyone out there got ever bring their dslr out to winter and have experience pls let me know what to do. Really need help. Thanks :D

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Hi

i from singapore i recently just bought a canon dslr camera. i going oversea soon for a week and i have alot of enquiry to ask. 1st this is my first time bringing my camera out to winter country and the lowest it can go is like -4 to -6. And i have only the crumpler camera bag will that be enough? 2nd how am i going prevent the lens going fungus and stuff...? 3rd when i am at outdoor that is cold and want to go in to a restaurant or a hotel which they have heater and is warm what thing i have to look out for my lens? i really need help. If anyone out there got ever bring their dslr out to winter and have experience pls let me know what to do. Really need help. Thanks :D
    1. Temperature will not be much of a problem. I have taken dSLR into Alaska winter conditions on a number of occasions with no problems. Camera will handle it fine. The battery works best when warm, but I was out for more then 4 hours at 0°F to 10°F on the same battery (in a 20D).
    2. Fungus - I've not encountered that problem in the environment here so I can't help you much. I would suspect that storage would be the issue. I would further guess that a dry cabinet might be a good idea.
    3. Bring with you a plastic bag, a ziploc or similar. Place the camera in that before entering warm environment. Keep the camera in the bag until the camera has a chance to warm up. The plastic bag will protect the camera from the high water levels in the warmer environment. The same applies when you move your camera from a cool, air conditioned interior to a warm, moist outdoors.
    I hope that helps some.