Options

Photoshop doen't work with g11 cr2

jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Finishing School
Any ideas why my photoshop cs3 won't work with my new g11.I'm thinking that my ps is udated to work with cr4.This should'nt make a difference though should it. Ps says its not the right kind of document. Any help would be great
thanx

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    jnsuffolk wrote:
    Any ideas why my photoshop cs3 won't work with my new g11.I'm thinking that my ps is udated to work with cr4.This should'nt make a difference though should it. Ps says its not the right kind of document. Any help would be great
    thanx

There is unofficial support of the G11 in ACR 5.5, but unfortunately CS3 uses ACR 4.6. Adobe does not add new camera support to older products. You have to upgrade to CS4 or Lightroom. Nice deal for Adobe, but not so nice for us. If you don't want to spend any money, you can download a free program from Adobe which will convert the CR2 files to DNG, which CS3 can process. Or you can use the Canon supplied RAW converter in Digital Photo Professional, which came with the camera and convert to 16 bit TIFFs.

HTH.
  • Options
    jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    What I don't understand is that my 40d is cr2 just like the g11. So what is the difference? I'll probably get lr2. Ive been wanting it anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    jnsuffolk wrote:
    What I don't understand is that my 40d is cr2 just like the g11. So what is the difference? I'll probably get lr2. Ive been wanting it anyway.

Sigh. All CR2s are not created equal. I have a strong suspicion that this is a marketing issue, not an engineering one. But there's nothing we can do about it.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    jnsuffolk wrote:

I ran into the same problem when I upgraded from 20d to 50d. Even though the RAW files both had the cr2 extension, they were not the same. I don't know why the files were different, but I do know that just because both cameras tag a cr2 extension onto the filename does not make them the same.

To read the files with older versions of Photoshop you have to convert them to Adobe's generic RAW format DNG (Digital Negative).

You can download the converter at http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

-Bob Kane
    http://designphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    BobKane wrote:
    I ran into the same problem when I upgraded from 20d to 50d. Even though the RAW files both had the cr2 extension, they were not the same. I don't know why the files were different, but I do know that just because both cameras tag a cr2 extension onto the filename does not make them the same.

Hey Bob,

What version of ACR are you running? I recently did a 20D to 50D upgrade and ACR 4.6 (CS3) had no problem with it.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    jnsuffolk wrote:

It's confusing. The filename extensions are the same, but most people don't realize about raw is that it is not one file format. Every time a new camera comes out, all raw converters must be tuned to read how that new sensor produces data. And the sensors of the 40D and G11 are very, VERY different, of course. They are different in resolution, dynamic range, noise characteristics, etc. If a program were to read a G11 as a 40D the image would look completely wrong.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Sigh. All CR2s are not created equal. I have a strong suspicion that this is a marketing issue, not an engineering one. But there's nothing we can do about it.
    This is why I wish that either cameras did DNG in the camera, or that Aperture would convert to DNG upon import.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    or that Aperture would convert to DNG upon import.

That wouldn't solve the problem. Aperture would still need to know what to do with the raw data from (new unknown camera) before it could convert it. If the camera support is not there, import conversion to DNG is not possible.

Saving to DNG in camera really would help. Too bad not many do.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hey Bob,

What version of ACR are you running? I recently did a 20D to 50D upgrade and ACR 4.6 (CS3) had no problem with it.

Richard,
    I'm still running on CS2 which does not accept the latest ACR version.

-Bob
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    BobKane wrote:
    Richard,
    I'm still running on CS2 which does not accept the latest ACR version.

-Bob

The DNG solution will work with CS2.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    The DNG solution will work with CS2.

Yes, that's why I use Adobe DNG Converter to convert my RAW files. Once converted, I can import them into CS2 just like I used to import the CR2 files.

-Bob
    http://designphotography.smugmug.com/