The Land is Not Sleeping

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 15, 2009 in Landscapes
OK, last (landscape) set from my trip to Yellowstone (still have some Grand Teton and Death Valley landscapes from the trip - haven't yet processed those photos yet).

These were all taken between Madison and Old Faithful. This area comprises the densest concentration of thermal features (geysers, hot springs, mud pots, fumaroles, etc.) in the world. I've said it before, but there are sections of the park where the landscapes are more active than the wildlife :D

#1: Great Fountain Geyser at Sunset (Everyone kept asking me if it was going to go off - my answer was "I have no idea, but this is one hell of a reflection!" - apparently that only gets me excited and not anyone else).

681176320_768DF-L.jpg

#2: Early morning on the Firehole River

679065799_p3kFW-L.jpg

#3: Full moon on the Firehole I

678074258_hM8QZ-L.jpg

#4: Great Fountain Geyser

679062969_C8inU-L.jpg

#5: Full moon on the Firehole II:

678068965_j2svr-L.jpg

And to close off my photographic Yellowstone experience, I was telling friends that it's really easy to get cars to stop in Yellowstone, all you need to do is setup your tripod and a dozen cars will pull over before someone actually asks what you're shooting (and if it's an incredible landscape instead of wildlife they'll get quite upset). I was speculating that if I setup my tripod for a close-up macro study of bison poop I could still get them to pull over.

So I took this photo (coming back from taking photo #2 - pun not intended) on my phone to show the next person who stopped to ask what I was trying to shoot:

9933_153308855002_666540002_2812570_8196684_n.jpg

And then I wrote a little report about it, just like I would if I was in first grade, with appropriate grammar, spelling, etc., but based on first hand experience:

"Bisons poop just like you and me. There poop is brown and big and doesn't smell as much as people poop. There poop is round to like a donut. To find a bison poop you walk around in the dark and step in it."

Now the next time I'm in Yellowstone if someone asks me what I'm taking a photo of I can show them along with the related report. Now I just need to schedule that next trip so I can put the idea to work in practice :wink

Comments

• wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Some great shots here. I can't decide which I like the most, I do find the lighting very nice. But I am a lover of mist, smoke and fog.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    wirehunt wrote:
    Some great shots here. I can't decide which I like the most, I do find the lighting very nice. But I am a lover of mist, smoke and fog.

Thanks - Yellowstone definitely has plenty of all of three!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    :lol4 Having a dog, I am certainly no stranger to poop and your observations are 10000% spot-on with what I tell others about being a landscape photographer/tourism, too. There's nothing quite like the siren call of seeing a photographer setting up to shoot and sometimes it's just so funny because they'll usually try to "see" what you see and usually shake their heads and walk away. It never matters what country you're in or what language people speak... some things are just universal.

A+ on the report, Ron. thumb.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I'm glad you felt confident enough in your report to reach a larger audience.

It looks like you had a great trip. I had been keeping up with your cell phone images but it's good to see the quality ones now. My favorites out of this series are the first two.
    edited October 15, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    :lol4 Having a dog, I am certainly no stranger to poop and your observations are 10000% spot-on with what I tell others about being a landscape photographer/tourism, too. There's nothing quite like the siren call of seeing a photographer setting up to shoot and sometimes it's just so funny because they'll usually try to "see" what you see and usually shake their heads and walk away. It never matters what country you're in or what language people speak... some things are just universal.

A+ on the report, Ron. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo, though giving me such a high grade only encourages this kind of behavior. I'm not sure that's what you want :D
    edited October 15, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I'm glad you felt confident enough in your report to reach a larger audience.

It looks like you had a great trip. I had been keeping up with your cell phone images but it's good to see the quality ones now. My favorites out of this series are the first two.

It's the best piece of, well I hate to say it because it sounds pretentious, but it's the best piece of literature that I have ever composed. Limiting its release to the three friends I have on facebook is not giving it its proper showcase. So instead I'm spreading it far and wide to include the 5 people on dgrin who looked at this thread :D