shadows

lalalafotoslalalafotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Technique
hi, i just brought a light tent set up (one of those all in one, attach the lights and unfold) and no matter how bright i make the photo i still have a shadow...i'm using the tents lights and my 430exII flash (tried different flash settings but did not help)...please help..thanks.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    A few pictures of the problem might help viewer's to better understand what you are experiencing
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    I don't think you want to use the supplied tent lights AND a flash on the same setup. The tent lights are continuous low-power lights, right? A single speedlight is likely to greatly overpower the tent lights and create a shadow. My advice would be to ditch the flash, and just use the supplied light. Don't locate the tent lights too close to the tent which can create uneven lighting. Also, you may need to add one more continuous tent light over the tent for best results.
    edited October 15, 2009
    Joel, I assumed the flash was shooting through the tent fabric, as I have used two monolights with a light tent occasionally, and was pleased with the outcome.

You are correct that if they are shooting the flash directly at the subject within the tent, shadows will prevail.

I am still waiting to see a few images to decide what is going on.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    Kind of depends on the distance of the flash to the tent, doesn't it? I've learned the hard way that you don't want to get lights too close to the tent because it creates hot spots. Two monolights are likely to create more even lighting than a single small speedlight, especially if pulled back from the tent some.

Anyway, I agree with your original premise. It's kind of hard to diagnose a problem without sample shots and knowing the exact setup.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 15, 2009
    The relative size of the lights and the distance to the light tent are both important factors.

My light tent was only about 18 inches on a side, so a pair of monolights with in 12 inches, were pretty large light sources. A speedlight, close to the tent, would be a much smaller source, as you pointed out, Joel.

I think might consider shooting a speedlight through a scrim towards the light tent to increase it apparent size.

• lalalafotoslalalafotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    hi, thanks for the replys, first i cant upload a photo at this stage because im not using my computer because i'm fixing it up...but i will have it set up soon...right now im using a laptop which is not good for veiwing ect photos so im stuch with the image on the camera.
    i did not buy from here but here is a site with the set up, im using the camera at the same distance BUT i'm using a 1000d not a compact.and a white background and the flash i'm using is a 430exII.....
    http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=314_326&products_id=3649

thanks again for replying.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    hi, thanks for the replys, first i cant upload a photo at this stage because im not using my computer because i'm fixing it up...but i will have it set up soon...right now im using a laptop which is not good for veiwing ect photos so im stuch with the image on the camera.
    i did not buy from here but here is a site with the set up, im using the camera at the same distance BUT i'm using a 1000d not a compact.and a white background and the flash i'm using is a 430exII.....
    http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=314_326&products_id=3649

thanks again for replying.

Doesn't the setup already have the lights built in? If you're using a flash from the front as well (from what you've said I'm assuming you were using it on-camera), you WILL get shadows - the point of the tent is to create soft diffused light from the sides, thus making the need for additional flash obsolete; anything else you add from any other direction (unless it is similarly diffused through some kind of panel) will shadow.

You could try adding extra light by bouncing the flash off the ceiling or reflecting it off a piece of foamboard angled over the setup, but I suspect you'll still get shadows.
  • SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Definitely kill the flash, no need to freeze a static object, and since your on a tripod you can use what ever shutter speed you need to get your exposure.

As the tents lights oppose one another and their light spread overlaps one another you should not have to worry about shadows!