Idea: SmugKiosk

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
(for after the coupons and packages of course ;-) )

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but how about an offline standalone version of smugmug that we could install on laptops in order to present a gallery and take orders on site at an event? Then when we return to our home or office and get online, the orders would be transmitted.

Know what I mean?

Photo kiosk software exists out there, but it sure would be nice to have one with the same user interface as sm for consistency and which integrates with sm for seamless fulfillment.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    This would cost a lot in development time. A lot more than a cellular Internet card in a laptop so you can just connect to the real gallery and do the transaction in real-time. These cards aren't much. If you're considering having a laptop and a display, then there really should be enough revenue to support getting a card.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    This would cost a lot in development time. A lot more than a cellular Internet card in a laptop so you can just connect to the real gallery and do the transaction in real-time. These cards aren't much. If you're considering having a laptop and a display, then there really should be enough revenue to support getting a card.

Waiting for the upload to smugmug would usually not be feasible.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 16, 2009
    Ahhh...I see. Aside from a kiosk like what you are describing, could uploading small images and then having proof delay enabled work? Uploading even hundreds of 640x480 images wouldn't take that long even via a cellphone connection.
    edited October 16, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Ahhh...I see. Aside from a kiosk like what you are describing, could uploading small images and then having proof delay enabled work? Uploading even hundreds of 640x480 images wouldn't take that long even via a cellphone connection.

I would agree, but with a small image file many of the larger print sizes would be automatically disabled and unavailable for purchase.
    -Jack

edited October 17, 2009
    I would agree, but with a small image file many of the larger print sizes would be automatically disabled and unavailable for purchase.
    Oh yeah, that's right. :( Does it have to be a self-service kiosk? It would probably be cheaper to just have them fill out an order form, and then a person check it, and process it manually when you get back. Unless you have such high traffic or bursts that this can't be done.
    edited October 17, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Oh yeah, that's right. :( Does it have to be a self-service kiosk? It would probably be cheaper to just have them fill out an order form, and then a person check it, and process it manually when you get back. Unless you have such high traffic or bursts that this can't be done.

Yeah, that would work, but it wouldn't be as slick and it would be more work for me. It would take customers just as much time to fill out a paper form as it would for them to just place an order in a system.
    -Jack

edited October 17, 2009
    Yeah, that would work, but it wouldn't be as slick and it would be more work for me. It would take customers just as much time to fill out a paper form as it would for them to just place an order in a system.
    Hmmm...it looks like you'll have to find a custom solution. And depending on the development cost, that may or may not work for you. headscratch.gif

You mentioned that there are some kiosks like this already. Do you have any links?
    edited October 17, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    You mentioned that there are some kiosks like this already. Do you have any links?

I just did some googling and found some.
    -Jack

edited October 17, 2009
    I just did some googling and found some.
    Links? I'm interested in how these systems work.
    edited October 17, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Links? I'm interested in how these systems work.

www.google.com
    -Jack

edited October 18, 2009
    What search terms did you use?
  • ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I really like this idea! It would be awesome if SM came out with something like this!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • dmakogondmakogon Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2009

I think the data card solution is very feasible. In your original pitch, you mentioned order fulfillment, not uploading new images. If it is, indeed, an order-fulfillment solution, you can easily browse a SM gallery via data card and it's very peppy (assuming you're not in the middle of nowhere). Occasionally I enter a "1x" network area where the speed caps out at 130kbps down/50kbps up (roughly), but otherwise it's at least 500-1200kbps down, and up to 300kbps up. Plenty fast for gallery-browsing.

For image uploading: if you're not doing any digital downloads, you can still upload full-res images from the field, but just make them highly compressed jpeg's, and set proof-delay. Maybe that would work?

David
    edited October 22, 2009
    dmakogon wrote:
    I think the data card solution is very feasible. In your original pitch, you mentioned order fulfillment, not uploading new images. If it is, indeed, an order-fulfillment solution, you can easily browse a SM gallery via data card and it's very peppy (assuming you're not in the middle of nowhere). Occasionally I enter a "1x" network area where the speed caps out at 130kbps down/50kbps up (roughly), but otherwise it's at least 500-1200kbps down, and up to 300kbps up. Plenty fast for gallery-browsing.

For image uploading: if you're not doing any digital downloads, you can still upload full-res images from the field, but just make them highly compressed jpeg's, and set proof-delay. Maybe that would work?

David

300kbps up is ridiculously slow. It would have to be about 14Mbps up to be realistic, which is what I get at home. Compressing images enough to make 3kbps fast enough would probably result in lousy looking images.

An 8mp image at minimum compression is about 6.5-7MB. Resize/compress to 3MB (~24000 kilobits), and you're looking at 80 seconds to upload one questionably crappy looking file. Not feasible.
    -Jack

edited October 27, 2009
    There may be a version of the offline web downloaders that may be able to download enough to accomplish what you want with some programming. But since SM is a server-side application and is copyrighted, you may be violating the terms of service and/or it just plain may not work.
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I'd like to do the same thing Jack is asking about. I have a softball tournament coming up in 2 weeks. It sure would be nice to be able to have the pics ready to order but...

To get them uploaded to Smugmug ready for sales, I'd first have to resize them to say 1500 x1500 px at 80% compression. That would take a little while to go through a couple hundred pics per game (and there are games in progress on 4 fields).

After resizing them, I'd still have to upload them to Smugmug in the correct gallery (which I will already have ready to go).

Too much work for me. ne_nau.gif I'm supposed to be on the field covering two games while my bud is covering the games on the other two fields.

Looks like my only choice as of right now is to use Breeze Browser Pro to show the pics in slideshow mode. I still have to give my assistant (wife) a few tips on copying files into the right folders. She knows how to run the slideshow, or detail individual photos.

One laptop, many kids all wanting to see the game pics - UGH!
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.