Options

Oh No not more flies

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited July 10, 2005 in Holy Macro
Few fly shots from the last couple of days from the garden.
Couple of them I haven't seen before including what I assume is a robber fly (the one that looks like Arnold Schwarznegger).
As an aside I have used on some of these a PS action called paul's Velvia from here http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm which does accentuate the colour (supposed to mimick Velvia film).
Comments welcome.
Brian V.

CRW_5858c.jpg

CRW_5865c.jpg

CRW_5870c_filtered.jpg

CRW_5878c.jpg

CRW_5846c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2005
    The colors look really nice Brian. You are really handling the higher ratios quite well. Well done.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    The colors look really nice Brian. You are really handling the higher ratios quite well. Well done.
    Thanks Thomas- wasn't sure if the colour was a bit OTT.
    Assume by higher ratios, you mean the lighting being one-sided. I'm beginning to get used to it, in fact I think I like it that way. rolleyes1.gif
    Brian V.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2005
    good job! what's your setup? lens, ext tubes, diopters? focusing rails?

tell us more
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    good job! what's your setup? lens, ext tubes, diopters? focusing rails?

tell us more
    Thanks Andy.
    Canon 300D Sigma 105mm EX Macro lens, sigma 500 Super DG flash mounted on a flash bracket low and to the left with homemade diffuser attached, Shots 1/200th, F16 ISO100 Camera is hand held in manual setting, Flash in ETTL mode, focusing manual.

Brian V.
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2005
    how on earth do ya get so close without them flying away??

Great shot as always Brian. You always amaze meclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    how on earth do ya get so close without them flying away??

Great shot as always Brian. You always amaze meclap.gif
    Thanks Rahmonster.
    As to getting close to them I quite often just sit down near some bushes and wait for them to come to me- of course not washing for a few weeks helps rolleyes1.gif
    Brian V.
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2005
    Some people know there gifts some don't, well we all know yoursthumb.gif
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    Thanks Thomas- wasn't sure if the colour was a bit OTT.
    Assume by higher ratios, you mean the lighting being one-sided. I'm beginning to get used to it, in fact I think I like it that way. rolleyes1.gif
    Brian V.
    Actually I was talking about the magnificaton ratio, but I like the lighting as well. I'm going to get some extension tubes soon so I too can go beyond 1:1.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Actually I was talking about the magnificaton ratio, but I like the lighting as well. I'm going to get some extension tubes soon so I too can go beyond 1:1.
    Ah did wonder- These were not actually taken beyond 1:1 (I didn't have my reversing lens on) there was some cropping however.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    Ah did wonder- These were not actually taken beyond 1:1 (I didn't have my reversing lens on) there was some cropping however.
    Brian V.
    Now we are understading each other :). I also crop without shame. There are others (esp on FM) that shun the practice. To each his own.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Now we are understading each other :). I also crop without shame. There are others (esp on FM) that shun the practice. To each his own.
    I'm not good enough at framing yet to do without croppingrolleyes1.gif
    I also found that on DPReview at least the way people described crops was all over the place. eg 100% crop = all of picture no crop or only 50% of original shown, so I gave up and just describe as cropped or uncropped when I think it's necessary.
    Certainly do not feel guilty about it, in fact quite often use it to give the impression of greater DOF.
    Brian V.

BTW what's FM?- assume it's another photosite?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2005
    I'm not good enough at framing yet to do without croppingrolleyes1.gif
    I also found that on DPReview at least the way people described crops was all over the place. eg 100% crop = all of picture no crop or only 50% of original shown, so I gave up and just describe as cropped or uncropped when I think it's necessary.
    Certainly do not feel guilty about it, in fact quite often use it to give the impression of greater DOF.
    Brian V.

BTW what's FM?- assume it's another photosite?
    Yes FM is www.fredmiranda.com another photo sharing site with many more people than dgrin. You should check it out.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    zillazilla Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2005
    These are awesome shots Brian. The colors are exquisite, this coming from someone that is a sucker for vibrant colors. These photos look like the inside of my house. Very nice!!!

Few fly shots from the last couple of days from the garden.
    Couple of them I haven't seen before including what I assume is a robber fly (the one that looks like Arnold Schwarznegger).
    As an aside I have used on some of these a PS action called paul's Velvia from here http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm which does accentuate the colour (supposed to mimick Velvia film).
    Comments welcome.
    Brian V.

CRW_5858c.jpg

CRW_5865c.jpg

CRW_5870c_filtered.jpg

CRW_5878c.jpg

CRW_5846c.jpg
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2005
    I love all of them, but that 3rd one really does it for me. Detail is one thing but colors and great depth in lighting is what really makes your shots stand out.thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2005
    Hey Brian V, I always enjoy seeing your macros and these are great. I'm so happy these things are not as big as you make them look.

Your colours are excellent and I appreciate the link to the Velvia action. I'm always striving to get my portraits to look less "digital" and from the few minutes I had to play, this action might well help.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I love all of them, but that 3rd one really does it for me. Detail is one thing but colors and great depth in lighting is what really makes your shots stand out.thumb.gifthumb.gif
    david_h wrote:
    Hey Brian V, I always enjoy seeing your macros and these are great. I'm so happy these things are not as big as you make them look.
    Your colours are excellent and I appreciate the link to the Velvia action. I'm always striving to get my portraits to look less "digital" and from the few minutes I had to play, this action might well help.
    Thanks Khaos, David and Zilla for the compliments.
    Must admit I'm not sure about the colour, think it's a bit too much but that may be just because I'm not used to it. Was only using 40 to 50% of the colour increase in the action. I picked up the hint about the action on another forum- good to spread these things around if they work.
    Brian V.