Options

New SB600 or Used SB800?

NewEraChildNewEraChild Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Accessories
Hey everybody,

So I need a little help with deciding whether or not it's a better idea to buy a new SB600, which will have a warranty and all that, for $220. OR if it's a deal to get a used SB800 with all of the box parts and manual and everything for $250, but the warranty is expired.

Is there a history of SB800s malfunctioning after 3 years? The SB800 was purchased in July 2006.

Any advice would be appreciated!
-JR

Comments

• Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hey everybody,

So I need a little help with deciding whether or not it's a better idea to buy a new SB600, which will have a warranty and all that, for $220. OR if it's a deal to get a used SB800 with all of the box parts and manual and everything for $250, but the warranty is expired.

Is there a history of SB800s malfunctioning after 3 years? The SB800 was purchased in July 2006.

-JR

My 800 was bought in April 2006 and still works like a champ after thousands of uses.

I love the 800, but it's a touch choice. The 600 is less money and it has a warranty... but the 800 is just awesome.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hey everybody,

-JR

I have the SB600 and have used it very very successfully for years. However, as of late, I'm finding that the additional capabilities the SB800 provides, I now desire. If I had to do it again, I'd find a way to get an SB800.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty too much. If anything, check to see WHAT the warranty covers and see if the value is there. IOW, if it's only going to replace a $2 part (extreme example here) and you can get it taken care of locally, it's not worth it. Same goes if the warranty is only for something that is as much as replacing the entire unit. Understand?
    I hope so. Just my 2 cents.
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hey everybody,

-JR
    JR,

I think that is a tough choice.

Warranties give such a sense of security, they are hard to deny. Yet, I think both the SB600 and the SB800 have a good record.

Both of these flashes were later production than your D100, if that's what you're shooting with, and they can be used on you camera for TTL or manual flash. Neither of them will produce a iTTL solution, which is the latter day CLS of Nikon: Creative Lighting System.

So if you might upgrade ( in the future) to a D70, D200 or later, then both of these would be a good investment.

When or if you do decide to step your camera game up, The SB800 can do more for you ( read more options) with off camera flash.

If you are not going to upgrade cameras, then an older flash like the SB26/28 would perhaps be a cheaper solution.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    if the 800 is an ebay purchase you can always get a square trade warranty for it.....after starting the HOT SHOE DIARIES by Scott Kelby....I believe I would opt for the 800.....but I started off my venture in NIKONLAND, this time around, with the SB900............so even for me the
    SB800 seems like the better way to go.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    First off, it's been a while since I've upgraded that user profile for dgrin, so my current setup is:

Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50mm 1.4AF
    Tamron 20-35mm F2.8
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8

So Eketelon, I have taken into account the idea that I can individually replace parts if something like a fuse or replaceable electrical circuit goes.

Angevin1, I do have the D200 as you can see, and I have used an SB800 with my Nikon D200 before on loan and I definitely appreciated the speed and power of the SB800. It worked out well for the night time sports photography I was doing at the time. Now, though, I am mostly interested in having a strobe for shooting while inside in low lighting places.

I'm leaning towards the SB800, but just the idea of having a warranty, like Eketelon said is a nice thing too.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hey everybody,

-JR

I have both, and I love them. I would go with the SB800 like a shot; $250 is a bargain, and quite honestly, how often have you ever needed to use a warranty? (…I mean, it's a Nikon, not a bloody Chrysler :D )

Go for the SB800!

- Wil

BTW - Welcome to Digital Grin…
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I have both, and I love them. I would go with the SB800 like a shot; $250 is a bargain, and quite honestly, how often have you ever needed to use a warranty? (…I mean, it's a Nikon, not a bloody Chrysler :D )

Go for the SB800!

- Wil

BTW - Welcome to Digital Grin…

I think you're right Wil, I'm going to go ahead and go with the SB800 and take my chances. Here's to hoping it will work out!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Hey everybody,

-JR

I have had both..sb800 would be the choice for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Most used SB-800's I've seen lately are $320+. A couple years ago I got a used SB-600, but the price difference then (used) was $140 (600) vs $250+ (800). If you're only talking $30 difference between the two, new or not, get the SB-800, its a no brainer.

Brian
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    One of the big selling points on the sb800 for me is the ability to use an sd8a battery pack and the 5th battery to shorten the recycle times.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Playing the Devil's advocate here, do you know anything of the history of the SB-800? Has it be well cared for? Had it been force-cycled using a battery pack?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    i went ahead and bought the sb800 last night. very happy with it so far, just looking forward to the next opportunity to use it. =]

as far as the history goes, i don't believe a battery pack was used.

thanks everyone for your questions/comments, they helped me make my decision!