Canon's comment on IS for close work (re new 100mm)

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited October 16, 2009 in Holy Macro
Given the past postings about IS and macro work, I asked Canon. Here is my question to them:
Is the following correct: correction for angular camera shake should matter more as distance to the subject increases because the proportional vertical displacement of the image will increase. In contrast, adjustment for shift camera shake,parallel to the focal plane, should have more of an impact when the subject is CLOSE to the camera, because with that motion, the vertical displacement of the subject will be proportionally greater if the subject is close.
Canon's answer:
All of the information regarding the behavior of the new Image Stabilization is indeed correct.
I think this pushes me toward splurging the extra $$ for the new IS/L 100mm rather than the old one.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    paddler4 wrote:
    Given the past postings about IS and macro work, I asked Canon. Here is my question to them:

Canon's answer:

I think this pushes me toward splurging the extra $$ for the new IS/L 100mm rather than the old one.

Think this translates as the new IS helps stabilise back/front movement ? which is important in macro because of the shallow DOF. My only concern about this is how helpful it would be when shooting near 1:1 where I tend to shoot as I move through the focus point. I find this technique much easier than trying to hold focus. I suspect I've got so used to using a non stabilsed lens that I would find myself fighting the IS.
    Brian V.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Think this translates as the new IS helps stabilise back/front movement ?
    Brian,

I am not certain, but from what I have read, the shake shift adjustment is to compensate for vertical motion, not back and forth. E.g., see http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072207canonhybridis.asp

However, I have never seen any discussion of how the system might respond to your technique of deliberately moving forward or backward in small increments. Unfortunately, the price difference between the lenses would make it expensive to find out.

I have yet to successfully use your technique. In fact, I am finding it hard to get stable enough to get a single good shot at 2:1 without some kind of support, although I am now pretty comfortable at 1:1. So, even if I buy one of the new lenses, I won't be able to test your concern, at least not for some time.

Dan