Implosion

boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited October 16, 2009 in Landscapes
I had the pleasure of getting THE view of the implosion of a local landmark today. A pair of smokestacks that have been part of the city's skyline for over 100 years were imploded. My connection with the Historic Mill Society enabled me to get on the roof of another mill building in the complex.

This wasn't easy. When the first explosion hit, I fired my shutter at 8 FPS and quickly noticed that nothing moved. A couple of second later a louder BOOM!! That one shook the roof – and my tripod head SHIFTED. I kept firing my shutter and quickly adjusted the tripod head. What you see here are a few hours of painstakingly realigning the images. The crop is a bit tighter than originally planned, but I'm happy with it.

Time for a new tripod head.

682040284_RThUT-L.jpg

682040262_nd6qZ-L.jpg

682040221_oanBr-L.jpg

682040193_PKuYF-L.jpg

682040155_WuwmD-L.jpg

682040118_bSSjj-L.jpg

And a poster:
682049929_RpWqG-X3.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Totally cool and well done clap.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    That's very very cool! I wish I was into photography when they imploded the Kingdome around here.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    I just love the last one where you put them into a series. Your hard work really paid off and it doesn't look as though you had any trouble at all, so well done. :ivar If I were the demolition company or the historical society I would buy a HUUUUGE print of that from you!

(Did they?)
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Very impressive!

I saw the event mentioned on the local news; unfortunately this was after the event; if I'd known about it in advance, I'd have made an effort to drive over and shoot some pics (I live in Nashua)! Oh, well I'm glad that at least someone got some decent photos…

Nice job! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Thanks all!
    schmoo wrote:
    If I were the demolition company or the historical society I would buy a HUUUUGE print of that from you!

(Did they?)

I ordered a framed print (32"X11") as a gift to the developer, who gave me access to the building last spring. That connection jump started my Mill Series. The gift is a loss-leader. There should be many businesses going into that complex.

I also made a connection with the videographer I met on the roof. He was shooting for the demolition company. I'll be providing him with some "before" images from my original shoot in that building: http://www.lussierphoto.com/galleries/?album=2&gallery=9.

I should be able to get a contact name and email from him.
  • ochongochong Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nice series! I unfortunately couldn't make it, but a non-photographer friend of mine had a chance to see it go down.
    http://www.bitartifact.com/
    Canon 7D & 350D
    10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II ~ 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 85mm f/1.8 ~ 100mm f/2.8 ~ 70-200mm f/4 IS L
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nice effort. I really like the poster. I think it presents a great impression of the event.
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Very nice. I like the idea of putting the sequence together on the poster too.

Ian
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2009
    Make an animated GIF of it!!! :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Great set !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery