Canon 7D and EF-S 17-55mm

THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited October 17, 2009 in Cameras
Hi, I am new to DGrin. Terrific site! Great community!

This may be a silly question, but will the Canon EF-S 17-55mm lens work on the new Canon 7D? The 7D is not listed as compatible on the Canon website. But since this lens was designed for DSLR's with a 1.6 crop factor, I can't see why it shouldn't work.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

--- Markus ---

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 15, 2009
    THX1965 wrote:
    Hi, I am new to DGrin. Terrific site! Great community!

This may be a silly question, but will the Canon EF-S 17-55mm lens work on the new Canon 7D? The 7D is not listed as compatible on the Canon website. But since this lens was designed for DSLR's with a 1.6 crop factor, I can't see why it shouldn't work.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

--- Markus ---

THX1965 (Markus), welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 USM should be a great standard zoom lens mounted on the Canon 7D. No worries.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 USM should be a great standard zoom lens mounted on the Canon 7D. No worries.

I am happy to hear that. Thanks a lot.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Yup should work just fine.

It might have some CA, purple fringing and seem soft wide open. But that is expected with a camera with higher MP
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I borrowed the 17 - 55 f2.8 from Loper during the shootout - it was fine on the 7D.

ann
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    Yup should work just fine.

It might have some CA, purple fringing and seem soft wide open. But that is expected with a camera with higher MP

Wouldn't that be true for any lens?
    edited October 16, 2009
    THX1965 wrote:
    Wouldn't that be true for any lens?

Yes, more MP, just makes those faults more noticeable. Some lenses have more and some have less.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    After about 500+ frames, quite some being contre-a-jour, I yet to see that "enhanced PF/CA". deal.gif Theory is surely a nice thing, but I trust my own results more...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    After about 500+ frames, quite some being contre-a-jour, I yet to see that "enhanced PF/CA". deal.gif Theory is surely a nice thing, but I trust my own results more...ne_nau.gif

results may vary of course.
    I have seen it though, compare a 40D to a 50D. ne_nau.gif
    Nikon D50 vs a D300 too.
  • ochongochong Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

Agreed, this is the same as with diffraction. As i was discussing with Ziggy in a different thread, although it may be more visible when viewed at 100% the effect that the lens has on the light passing through it is the same as it has always been.
    http://www.bitartifact.com/
    Canon 7D & 350D
    10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II ~ 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 85mm f/1.8 ~ 100mm f/2.8 ~ 70-200mm f/4 IS L
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

Hi Ziggy I am tempted to get the 7D. Can you tell me if there are any lenses within my list that will not work with the 7D?
    Regards
    Bob
    edited October 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Ziggy I am tempted to get the 7D. Can you tell me if there are any lenses within my list that will not work with the 7D?
    Regards
    Bob
    Bob,
    7D takes both EF-S and EF lenses. Just like your Xti. So anything will go...deal.gif
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Bob,
    7D takes both EF-S and EF lenses. Just like your Xti. So anything will go...deal.gif

Thanks Nikolai that is very reassuring. Although I love my 40D I feel I just have to go for the 7D in the very near future. It will be most interesting to hear how everyone finds this camera.
    Thanks again
    Bob
    edited October 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai that is very reassuring. Although I love my 40D I feel I just have to go for the 7D in the very near future. It will be most interesting to hear how everyone finds this camera.
    Thanks again
    Bob
    You will love it! It's awesome! Also makes a great pair to 5D2 :-)