What to Do With Teenage Brothers... Ideas?

My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in People
I have a shoot next weekend with 3 older boys and I'm stumped on this one. I'm used to toddlers and babies. The boys are ages 10, 13, and 15. We don't have a location yet, as they live 3 hrs away from me and I will be traveling there to do their pictures, as well as pictures for 4 other clients. I think an urban setting would be good for them, or even a graffiti wall. BUT what do I do for posing? The mom wants individual pictures of all the boys, and then also family pictures of all 5 of them. If any of you have a gallery with portraits of teenage boys, and brothers together, then please point me in that direction.

Thanks,
Melissa
www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com

One more thing... I also have a shoot with a family of 7, and this will be my largest family yet. Any good posing ideas you can share would be appreciated.

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    There was that cute shoot the other day of the boy doing his skateboard moves (these were studio shots). He was on one arm..Just a REALLY nice simple one at the end with him and his eyes looked fab! This was a pretty recent post. The kiddo looked to be about 14 or so. Close ups don't need much for the b/g luckily...just some changing color trees or the like. Any chance you'll have time to scout out before the shoot? Or even better still ask the mom if she has any preferences on where she'd like it shot. She might find it touching if you asked her if there was a place that was special to the boys. GL. I can't wait to see them. You do such wonderful work and have inspired me in my own shooting :)!
    My3Sons wrote:
    I have a shoot next weekend with 3 older boys and I'm stumped on this one. I'm used to toddlers and babies. The boys are ages 10, 13, and 15. We don't have a location yet, as they live 3 hrs away from me and I will be traveling there to do their pictures, as well as pictures for 4 other clients. I think an urban setting would be good for them, or even a graffiti wall. BUT what do I do for posing? The mom wants individual pictures of all the boys, and then also family pictures of all 5 of them. If any of you have a gallery with portraits of teenage boys, and brothers together, then please point me in that direction.

Thanks,
    Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com

One more thing... I also have a shoot with a family of 7, and this will be my largest family yet. Any good posing ideas you can share would be appreciated.
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    There was that cute shoot the other day of the boy doing his skateboard moves (these were studio shots). He was on one arm..Just a REALLY nice simple one at the end with him and his eyes looked fab! This was a pretty recent post. The kiddo looked to be about 14 or so. Close ups don't need much for the b/g luckily...just some changing color trees or the like. Any chance you'll have time to scout out before the shoot? Or even better still ask the mom if she has any preferences on where she'd like it shot. She might find it touching if you asked her if there was a place that was special to the boys. GL. I can't wait to see them. You do such wonderful work and have inspired me in my own shooting :)!

Thanks for the compliments... hope I can pull this one off!

I saw those scateboard pictures the other day too- they were good, and he did have awesome eyes. I don't think I'll have much time to check out areas. I know of an awesome park out there where I've done several shoots, but their mom said they've already done that location in the past. I gave her several ideas that I thought would be cool (ex: old barn, downtown, etc.) but I don't even know where to find those locations. Hopefully she can tell me. I'm also trying to get ahold of a photographer friend out there that can give me some locations. Wish me luck!

BY THE WAY... FOR ANYONE THAT WAS INTERESTED IN HOW TO DO THE MIRROR/REFLECTION SHOTS... I FINALLY GOT THE TIME TO POST A TUTORIAL TO MY BLOG:

http://naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com/2009/10/reflections-long-awaited-tutorial.html

-Melissa
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I just commented on your blog. You are awesome and great luck with the boy shoot (you don't need luck, Laughing.gif!).thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    The hardest things you are going to have to over come are the lack of locations that you know of and usually boys are not as excited to have pictures done. Especially with their brothers and family. deal.gif

I would go into this as you have 3 separate shoots for the boys and a family shoot. I have not shot many boys other than my son (described in the posts above) but you can get ideas from high school senior shoots. The biggest thing is finding out some more about the boys so you can shoot in a way to bring out their personality.

I would call the mom and ask her to tell you about the boys- what are their interests, are they in sports, how do they interact with each other, etc. Let them bring props if it will help get them into the shoot.

BTW- boys usually do not like to smile unless they are laughing.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Find shade or an overhang to get some light direction going. Try to pose the heads in some triangle formation to start. That is stong graphically. Don't put all the heads on the same plane. Guys like to lean on something so try to find something to lean on even if it is each other. Just some ideas.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Those ages are going to be tough, hopefully they are all willing! I find with kids that age to let them have choices, ask them what they want. Usually they will come up with some good ideas all on their own. They all will know how to "strike a pose" So tell them to do that and see what they come up with. Depending on where they live and their lifestyle you can incorporate those things into the shoot. They can bring sports gear, musical instruments etc. Maybe they are into hats? Try to research their likes with their parents before. Don't let them just stand there...make sure you do something with their hands, otherwise they will just want to hang them...one of my pet peeves :) Good luck!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!