A Pix I Took (Pls C&C)

BWareBWare Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 16, 2009 in People
While I was bumbling around snapping pix at an event in South LA, I captured an shot of this lady -- a long-time friend of mine. There's a certain energy to this pix that I don't think would have ever emerged if I shot it with intentions of capturing such. Wanted to get other thoughts and opinions -- honest and forthright critiques. Thanks...

669139334_FuK9o-L.jpg

Comments

• MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nice colours and bokeh but I don't like the fact that her face is in shadow.
    If she was looking the other way, into the light, I think I'd prefer it.
    Chris
    Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
    Lenses:
    Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
    Lighting:
    Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
    Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*
  • BWareBWare Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nice colours and bokeh but I don't like the fact that her face is in shadow.
    If she was looking the other way, into the light, I think I'd prefer it.
    Chris

Thanks for the feedback...under the circumstances, I really didn't have a choice in the matter. I actually had to sneak this pix because she really doesn't like me taking pix of her, so I never had the opportunity to compose the shot. The action was to her left and the sun was somewhat behind her in the mid afternoon position. Zoomed in on her from a safe distance, too (for obvious reasons)...
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    honestly it doesn't really do much for me. The lighting is off on her face, the guy in the background is distracting, and there is no context to the shot. her face/expression is mildly interesting but really can't carry the shot.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Nice candid!
    Not sure what software you have, but if PS, a curves adjustment or subtle use of the Shadow/Highlight command would let you open up the shadow side of her face a bit.

I would also crop from the top a bit to get rid of the light area up there.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • BWareBWare Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2009
    Hey!!

Thanks for the thoughtful...and brutally honest commentary. Keep the cards and letter coming, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. The thoughts are very introspective in and of themselves, and I look forward to taking everything in...
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Pull this shot up in your viewer and rotate it so it is upside down. This helps to find those areas where you eye goes to. The shot is drab with the ladies face in shadow. If it just turned the other way it would have more impact.