Options

Finishing a wedding edit

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Weddings
Someday, I'll catch up...LOL Thought I'd share some stuff..what the heck, it's the "Wedding Forum" eeh?

680615466_Nbqrh-XL.jpg

678739494_3h7Z2-XL.jpg

678890199_RuSb3-XL.jpg

616544911_uEKEW-XL.jpg

678734155_jTgsu-XL.jpg

617227372_E6rrQ-XL.jpg

682518134_HAeo3-XL.jpg

678739267_GncJD-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2009
    Man those are good.... bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Wow - #2 & 9 are just spectacular!
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Love #1! fantastic Swartzy! Love the hint of crossprocess and the skintones left natural. Scrumptdilliumptious!

#9 is also killer.

We're not worthy!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Really fun set, Swartzy-who-doesn't-actually-look-like-Magnus (or a piano tuner rolleyes1.gif) thumb.gif

Is #8 w/flash or not? I can't decide .....
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Oooh...these are nice...really love #4! It looks very natural, though I imagine you may have posed them.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Really fun set, Swartzy-who-doesn't-actually-look-like-Magnus (or a piano tuner rolleyes1.gif) thumb.gif

Is #8 w/flash or not? I can't decide .....

Hehe.....you are crackin me up! Let's see...number 8....oh, yea I had 4 assistants (2 hanging from the rafters, and 2 on the floor) opposite sides of the alter, holding 580's with snoots mwink.gif hooked up with pocket wizards. If you believe that, I have some land for you rolleyes1.gif

This was shot at f/2.8 and ISO 3200 if I'm not mistaken...no flash....but hey..that's the whole point right?
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Mishka wrote:
    Oooh...these are nice...really love #4! It looks very natural, though I imagine you may have posed them.

Thanks Mishka..actually, they were seated at the head table and captured that unawares.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Man those are good.... bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Thanks Joel! You know I try to get in a landscape somehow with portraiture...Laughing.gif....that was a beautiful sky!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2009
    Hey, speaking of landscapes, and not to pry too deeply into your secrets, but did you gel your flashes in #2 and #9?
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Well my friend these are pretty flibbin' good! I would say that both 3 and 9 are absolutely PERFECTLY lit. Like throw thoes in a sticky and make it required viewing for any and all newbie wedding photogs that come this way. 9 is especially well done. We all know how hard that shot is to get with that sky. I forget... you use a small softbox right? Whatever you did that is just amazing soft light! VERY well done Swartzy, really nice work! My overall favorite is 5 though rolleyes1.gif

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Hey, speaking of landscapes, and not to pry too deeply into your secrets, but did you gel your flashes in #2 and #9?

Nope, not on either one. I was going from inside to outside....the dance was on so I'd go in and take some shots, grabbed the B&G...and said..."Let's go"..Laughing.gif...no time to get to the bag. Typically I don't gel unless I'm fighting with odd colors inside. Outdoors sometimes in the shade I'll use CTB's.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Really nice work!! The couple should be very pleased.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Well my friend these are pretty flibbin' good! I would say that both 3 and 9 are absolutely PERFECTLY lit. Like throw thoes in a sticky and make it required viewing for any and all newbie wedding photogs that come this way. 9 is especially well done. We all know how hard that shot is to get with that sky. I forget... you use a small softbox right? Whatever you did that is just amazing soft light! VERY well done Swartzy, really nice work! My overall favorite is 5 though rolleyes1.gif

Matt

Thanks so much for the kind words Matt. The light....you know I LIVE for the light...Laughing.gif. No softbox here. This is where I like to challenge the OC Light professors. Each has it's place of course but this was bounced light...ON camera, in ETTL. Again, the trick is knowing "how" to bounce the light (which really takes practice). I will say, because of all the studio shooting the bouncing light comes much easier.

It was a very fun day....really exhausting, of course, but was fun. That's why I take Sunday's and Monday's off just to rest the old bones...Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks so much for the kind words Matt. The light....you know I LIVE for the light...Laughing.gif. No softbox here. This is where I like to challenge the OC Light professors. Each has it's place of course but this was bounced light...ON camera, in ETTL. Again, the trick is knowing "how" to bounce the light (which really takes practice). I will say, because of all the studio shooting the bouncing light comes much easier.

My question regarding those two outdoor shots is.... what were you bouncing against?! eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    My question regarding those two outdoor shots is.... what were you bouncing against?! eek7.gif

#3 was flash aimed directly at them -2 EV in AV mode, properly exposed for them allowing flash to fill.

#9 had a white ceiling (think over a deck type about 12 foot high).
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nice work! I love the composition on #1 and #8. However, I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but #9 just isn't doing it for me. It's technically well done, but honestly, to me it looks like the groom is about to vomit.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nice work! I love the composition on #1 and #8. However, I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but #9 just isn't doing it for me. It's technically well done, but honestly, to me it looks like the groom is about to vomit.

Thanks Tim...to each his own...vomit is...well I'd say a bit harsh.....not even close but no, he's not smiling either. I have a couple other's to process...one he has fish lips so that's not getting the edit..Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009

Really Tim? Your going with vomit on this one? Laughing.gif How about queasy? Yes the expression isn't perfect but the lighting and comp are spectacular. Good move using that ceiling Swartzy.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. Queasy is a good adjective, to borrow from Matt. It's just in my experience, people often look queasy just before they... well, you get the picture. Sorry, just the first thought that came to me when I looked at his expression.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I like the crazy angle on the first......but its a good way to skin a $500 suit...eh?

My favorite is 8.

The receding pews, the flag, the stained glass, the couple (well lit)....and the vignette all work well here.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. Queasy is a good adjective, to borrow from Matt. It's just in my experience, people often look queasy just before they... well, you get the picture. Sorry, just the first thought that came to me when I looked at his expression.
    2shay (yeah I txt spld it because I don't know how to really spell it) brother! And for the record I have seen much queasier grooms!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Liking 1,2,7,and 8, Solid as always!