Options

First shot at a sequence

Way Off PisteWay Off Piste Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Sports
My nephew really wanted a sequence photo of him jumping off of this swing, so i figured I would try my chops at it...

682779536_j6QWc-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Sequences are a lot of fun IMO, especially with kids. That one turned out cool.thumb.gif
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    What i love about this one is the progressive lighting and treatment of color. It feel so authentic even though it is obviously a synthesis!

great job.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Nice job! I wanted to try a few of these with my children but don't know where to start. Can you tell me how you did this?
    Thanks..Scott
  • Options
    Way Off PisteWay Off Piste Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words.

How I did this.

First off I shot in JPEG mode so that I could get the faster burst rate on my D300. I metered and then switched to manual mode so I would get consistent images. I even switched my focus to manual set my depth of field/focus on the general area where he was jumping, and then fired away. The key on these is to start firing before the action starts and keep it going through the sequence.

Post production you have a few different options, but here is a great tutorial that I followed: http://vimeo.com/2526445

Dan Carr does some pretty neat things with action photography!