Options

Post Processing With Aperture

Chris-JordanChris-Jordan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 19, 2009 in Finishing School
Hello. I have been working with Aperture 2 for about 2 months now and I am struggling with my post processing work. My images look flat and seem unclear. I was hoping a more experienced user might provide me with some guidance on how to improve my images.

I have a Canon XSi camera with the 18-55mm kit lens with IS. The following image was shot at ISO 200 f/11 1/40 on a cloudy day. The steps I take for post processing include checking the exposure level, then white balance, then hot-cold spots, and finally boosting the saturation and vibrancy.

The image below is processed this way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I've been struggling with post processing for awhile now. I don't seem to be getting the hang of it or else my pictures are just really bad.

Thank you for your help!

Example2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Are you shooting in raw?

Assuming you are, here are some thoughts:

1. Adjust exposure

2. Adjust levels

3. Adjust highlights and shadows

4. Adjust mid-contrast to give it more or less pop (you must do 3 for this to work)

an alternative is to simply click auto exposure, auto levels, but you must be using RAW for this to be active.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Are you shooting in raw?

Assuming you are, here are some thoughts:

1. Adjust exposure

2. Adjust levels

3. Adjust highlights and shadows

4. Adjust mid-contrast to give it more or less pop (you must do 3 for this to work)

an alternative is to simply click auto exposure, auto levels, but you must be using RAW for this to be active.
    Yes, I am shooting in RAW. I guess I forgot to say that. I do adjust the highlights and shadows using the "Highlight Hot and Cold Areas" as a guide. How do I adjust the mid-contrast in Aperture 2? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Yes, I am shooting in RAW. I guess I forgot to say that. I do adjust the highlights and shadows using the "Highlight Hot and Cold Areas" as a guide. How do I adjust the mid-contrast in Aperture 2? Thanks!
    Open the advanced features where the highlights and shadows are. It's in there.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Open the advanced features where the highlights and shadows are. It's in there.
    I found it! I see what you mean. I think this image looks better. What do you think?

Example3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Here is a quick and dirty Aperture 2 adjustment of your shot:

684370666_BC48L-L.jpg

1. auto adjust exposure and levels

2. Highlights Shadows and mid contrast adjustment

3. Use dodge and burn to selectively saturate red/yellow trees

4. Sharpen

5. Use dodge & burn to darken sky

HTHs thumb.gif

Dan
  • Options
    carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    A couple of other Ideas when in the exposure adjustment block use the recovery slide, you would really be surprised what this will recover for you. Also you might adjust the black point slider a little.

In the enhance box after you adjust your contrast adjust the definition slider It is surprising what this will do to help. Don't worry about moving them to far if it doesn't look right move it back some. one of the great things about nondestructive adjustments is you can change your mind.

I use the sharpen tool in the raw adjustments but aperture also has another IMO better sharpen slider, if you click on the + button on the top of your adjustments pane about 3/4 down is the other sharpen adjustment select this and it adds a 2nd sharpen pane down at the bottom of the adjustments pane.

I don't know if you have the link to Apples video tutorials page but if you don't here it is
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

There is some good stuff in these especially for starting out.
    Carl
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

(Picture removed)

1. auto adjust exposure and levels

2. Highlights Shadows and mid contrast adjustment

3. Use dodge and burn to selectively saturate red/yellow trees

4. Sharpen

5. Use dodge & burn to darken sky

HTHs thumb.gif

Dan

Dan,

Wow! It really looks great now! Yes it does help! The trees seem to pop off the screen as you said they would. I have not used the dodge and burn tool yet but I will definitely be learning to use it right away.

Thanks again for your help!

Chris
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    carmel6942 wrote:
    A couple of other Ideas when in the exposure adjustment block use the recovery slide, you would really be surprised what this will recover for you. Also you might adjust the black point slider a little.

In the enhance box after you adjust your contrast adjust the definition slider It is surprising what this will do to help. Don't worry about moving them to far if it doesn't look right move it back some. one of the great things about nondestructive adjustments is you can change your mind.

I use the sharpen tool in the raw adjustments but aperture also has another IMO better sharpen slider, if you click on the + button on the top of your adjustments pane about 3/4 down is the other sharpen adjustment select this and it adds a 2nd sharpen pane down at the bottom of the adjustments pane.

I don't know if you have the link to Apples video tutorials page but if you don't here it is
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

There is some good stuff in these especially for starting out.

Carl,

Thanks for your tips! I used the recovery slider and highlight adjustment on the image to reduce the "hot spots" and the black point slider for the "cool spots". Thanks for your other tips on definition and sharpening.

I watched a few of the tutorials but they all seem to address specific adjustments. I didn't see any that combined all the adjustments together to improve a picture. What I mean by that is, the steps that Dan took to enhance the picture. I will go back and look at the tutorials again.

Thanks for your comments!

Chris
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

Dan

Dan,

A couple more quick questions. Did you use both the Auto Level adjustments for Luminance and Color or just the Luminance one.

And for sharpness, did you use the tool Carl suggested or the Definition slider?

Thanks again,

Chris :D
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Dan,

A couple more quick questions. Did you use both the Auto Level adjustments for Luminance and Color or just the Luminance one.

And for sharpness, did you use the tool Carl suggested or the Definition slider?

Thanks again,

Chris :D

I used all three auto adjustments. Normally I would adjust exposure and levels manually with the sliders rather than using the auto tool, but sometimes auto works great and it's a lot faster and easier.

I sharpened with the sharpen adjustment. Normally I will bring the radius to 1.5 plus or minus, but rarely over 2, and then increase the intensity to taste. I'm not a big fan of the definition slider, but others might find it useful.

Keep playing with the sliders Jordan, and you will get good at it.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Thanks Dan! You've been a huge help and I appreciate it! I'm now having fun with my images again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Thanks Dan! You've been a huge help and I appreciate it! I'm now having fun with my images again! thumb.gif
    wings.gifthumb.gifwings.gif