Options

resizing question

Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Finishing School
I need help resizing. I just got a few of my surfing shots published in Surfing Calender. They need the images to be 8.5" by 11" at 300 dpi. I have croped a few of the images to the the surfer closer. What is the best way with Photoshop cs2 to do this thanks

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I need help resizing. I just got a few of my surfing shots published in Surfing Calender. They need the images to be 8.5" by 11" at 300 dpi. I have croped a few of the images to the the surfer closer. What is the best way with Photoshop cs2 to do this thanks

First I'd use the crop tool to get the aspect ratio right. Get an 8.5x11 crop box, lock the aspect ratio, then maximize the box size and crop the way you want it.

Then go into the resize tool and choose 8.5x11" and 300dpi.
  • Options
    Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    1. Open your image in Photoshop
    2. Select the crop tool. Put 8.5 and 11 in the width and height boxes but leave the resoultion box empty. Draw your crop and get it positioned and then click on the check mark to enter the crop.
    3. Then go to Image>Image size. In the dialog box, Scale Styles, Constrain Proportions, and Resample Image should all be checked. In the resolution box, delete what is there and type in 300.
    4. Pay attention to the Pixel Dimension count. If it is greater than what you started with, then click on the bottom drop-down box and pick bicubic smoother. If the pixel dimension count is less than what you started with, then select bicubic sharper.
    5. Click OK and you are done.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009

HERE is my way........
    Open image in PS.....go to IMAGE > go to Image size - opens dialogue box ---- first make sure the CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS box is ticked --- now the dialogue box shoes the size of the image at 72ppi....change that to 300.....{by doing this there is no interpolation of pixels....you are working with all original pixels.......}
    Now clik OK.....now the image on screen is at 300PPI....
    clik on your crop tool and lock the dimension to 8.5 x 11 and RESOLUTION @ 300 pixels per inch......move your crop frame around until you get what you want ....right clik and clik on crop........go back to Image > image size just to make sure you got the size you were after....if all is good clik OK.....go to FILE > SAVE AS (largest jpg file available [#12 usually] ) clik OK ..... and save to the proper file.........repeat for all images going into calendar.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website