Options

Shanghai Jing An Park and Other Locations..

HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
edited October 20, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I'm really enjoying this new forum..

This little series is from my days when I used to travel to Asia on a bi-monthly basis. Staying in Shanghai I used to like to walk the whole city on Sundays, taking breaks in the various parks. Just sit on a bench and watch a kid being entertained by his/her parents. Some of you may remember this from the LPS way back when, I think 2007:

371282338_d989s-M.jpg

The girl was having a great time skipping rope... But once she noticed me she grew tentative:

171763937_rb8yP-M.jpg

She began performing for me, which just wasn't the same:

171764192_Ug8sQ-M.jpg

This one was telling a tale through her dance:
163684821_mvfVQ-M.jpg

A kid who was just running back and forth:
682879029_L6giM-M-1.jpg

If I were doing this travel still, I'd get a more practical camera for the job that wouldn't intimidate people...

Hope you enjoyed..
Mark
www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    I'm really enjoying this new forum..

This little series is from my days when I used to travel to Asia on a bi-monthly basis. Staying in Shanghai I used to like to walk the whole city on Sundays, taking breaks in the various parks. Just sit on a bench and watch a kid being entertained by his/her parents. Some of you may remember this from the LPS way back when, I think 2007:

If I were doing this travel still, I'd get a more practical camera for the job that wouldn't intimidate people...

Hope you enjoyed..

Really, really, really close. clap.gif Especially the first one. But, I think all of these suffer from not having anything in them that's really sharp, which makes them ultimately seem accidental. I'd have shot with just a bit higher shutter speed, to make sure to freeze either the background, or a part of the subject - hopefully the face. But again - really close!clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks for your comments..

I really do agree about the face's need to be more frozen. I am often working on my technique to the point where I try to see how slow I can get the shutter and still get an interesting shot out of it. The randomness, or "accidentalness" of it is part of what I like and am going for in this situation..

Do you thing it makes it not "street" if the background is so blurred that you can't tell the environment that it's all in?

I think one point I was making followed along a comment I saw in another thread. Once the girl saw that I was photographing her, she first frowned and looked on in suspicion, then moved on to posing for me. The whole series moved on to being a portait that might be more for the people forum..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:

Do you think it makes it not "street" if the background is so blurred that you can't tell the environment that it's all in?

Who cares? Well, maybe BD does but IMO, as long as it's a good image streetiness is irrelevant. deal.gif