Options

D300s Video.

ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I wasn't sure if this qualified for here or not, but for those interested this is video I shot this morning (dumbed down to a 32MB .wmv) from the new Nikon D300s.

While I'm not overly impressed with the video.......I suppose having the capability along with the stills, is still a plus.

I was using the Nikon 18-200 zoom at 200mm for this, until I zoomed out.

Click here for video.
9986518_ggrYh#683033477_XRdTQ-A-LB
Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 17, 2009
    I wasn't sure if this qualified for here or not, but for those interested this is video I shot this morning (dumbed down to a 32MB .wmv) from the new Nikon D300s.

While I'm not overly impressed with the video.......I suppose having the capability along with the stills, is still a plus.

I was using the Nikon 18-200 zoom at 200mm for this, until I zoomed out.

Click here for video.
    9986518_ggrYh#683033477_XRdTQ-A-LB

I think some of the stills on your Web site are a lot more interesting than the video. Seen alone, we have no idea that the person has been a shooting victim. It certainly is cool though that you can shoot video and stills with the same camera.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I think some of the stills on your Web site are a lot more interesting than the video. Seen alone, we have no idea that the person has been a shooting victim. It certainly is cool though that you can shoot video and stills with the same camera.

Yeah, I suppose I should have added that too, huh. ;-)

I was literally 100 ft. away when the call went down and watched the officer take the man to the ground. Never saw the woman's bloody feet sticking out of the doorway though until I got these on the computer.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    What is your opinion of the D300s?????? I have been thinking about up grading.

THANKS FOR SHARING ..... azzaro
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    What is your opinion of the D300s?????? I have been thinking about up grading.

THANKS FOR SHARING ..... azzaro
    I'm not really thrilled that I spent the money and upgraded from the D300. It's only been 2 weeks, but over a 1000 clicks and this thing is still not dialed in the way my old 300 was. I duplicated the settings, set the white balance with my Expodisc and I'm still getting overexposed, out of color pics even when shooting on Aperture Priority! I have an airshow I'm driving to Texas for on Tuesday (airshow is next Saturday outside Houston) and If this thing gives me crap images....I'm gonna drive it Nikon's headquarters and .................................. eek7.gif

Shoot just 15 minutes of video and be expected to wait about 90 minutes for it to upload to the computer.

You can't tell if the thing is in focus from the display (which you have to have on in "Live View" to shoot video) and the auto focus button on the camera, which is suppose to take care of the focus if you have it in "tripod" mode, works like crap. Certainly not something I'd expect out of a Nikon product.

That video of the shooting victim was actually 15 minutes of video. That was the 2 and a half minutes of 15 that was salvagable. The rest was either out of focus or too jittery. You NEED to mount that puppy on a tripod, which I'd have NO problem with.....if you could trust the focusing system on it or use the viewfinder, but if you're in ANY kind of sunlight....forget it.

The short answer to your question is......It's ok. mwink.gifeek7.gifscratch
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I'm not really thrilled that I spent the money and upgraded from the D300. It's only been 2 weeks, but over a 1000 clicks and this thing is still not dialed in the way my old 300 was. I duplicated the settings, set the white balance with my Expodisc and I'm still getting overexposed, out of color pics even when shooting on Aperture Priority! I have an airshow I'm driving to Texas for on Tuesday (airshow is next Saturday outside Houston) and If this thing gives me crap images....I'm gonna drive it Nikon's headquarters and .................................. eek7.gif

Shoot just 15 minutes of video and be expected to wait about 90 minutes for it to upload to the computer.

You can't tell if the thing is in focus from the display (which you have to have on in "Live View" to shoot video) and the auto focus button on the camera, which is suppose to take care of the focus if you have it in "tripod" mode, works like crap. Certainly not something I'd expect out of a Nikon product.

That video of the shooting victim was actually 15 minutes of video. That was the 2 and a half minutes of 15 that was salvagable. The rest was either out of focus or too jittery. You NEED to mount that puppy on a tripod, which I'd have NO problem with.....if you could trust the focusing system on it or use the viewfinder, but if you're in ANY kind of sunlight....forget it.

The short answer to your question is......It's ok. mwink.gifeek7.gifscratch

Thanks for replying ........ I think I will hang on to my money for awhile..I have read other comments about the video and problems with focusing.... azzaro