Autumn in the Tetons

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in Landscapes
I left Seattle at noon on a Thursday, got to the north entrance of Yellowstone around 11PM, and decided to drive down to Grand Teton to check on the state of the fall colors so I could adjust my trip accordingly. A few hours later and I was there. As it got lighter near dawn it became obvious there was a thick layer of smoke on the mountain (due to some wildfires). When it was light I drove around Oxbow Bend and saw the aspens had not yet peaked, so I headed back up to Yellowstone for six nights (after being up about 40 hours including about 18 hours driving).

At the end of my Yellowstone trip (which had snow for the last day and a half) I returned back to Grand Teton and the Tetons had a nice fresh coat of snow (sweet!) and the smoke had cleared. The weather didn't always cooperate, but when it did the scenery was spectacular. After three nights the forecast called for 100% cloud cover and snow for the rest of the week and I decided to go to Death Valley (with a stop at Zion at sunset on the way over).

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite shots from Grand Teton.

#1: Oxbow Sunset (the only good sunset during my visit to the Tetons - and it was incredible. I noticed a small section of pink to the north and waited around (while other photographers left), shortly afterward the entire sky was pink for about 90 seconds).

682967363_8bBwC-XL.jpg

#2:

683106326_CB54F-XL.jpg

#3:

683093863_fr9jh-XL.jpg

#4: This is me being original :D

683077376_MuqJc-XL.jpg

#5: This was that first sunrise before I headed back to Yellowstone. You can see how there's almost no snow on the Tetons.

683102362_KX8Lk-XL.jpg

#6: A few days later, and look at all the snow! I was so lucky.

683071013_SkWd4-XL.jpg

#7: The only time you can take this compressed version of this shot (standing a few hundred feet back and using 100-200mm lens) is at dawn before all the other photographers show up and get in your composition. It was literally 10 degrees when I took this shot 20-30 minutes before sunrise, my lens hood had a nice layer of frost on it by the time I was done, and I drained about half of a fresh battery.

683071996_sorRf-XL.jpg

#8: It seems like whenever I'm in Grand Teton I drive by the Snake River Overlook getting from place to place, and I always stop off and take a photo, even if it's in the middle of the day, because it's so convenient. Here's one of the shots in the middle of the day that I thought turned out OK.

683076384_mZkdA-XL.jpg

Comments

• AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    As always absolutely wonderful images Ron.

I love #1 - beautiful colours, it shows what a little patience (and not a little talent) can deliver.
    I'd definitely put that on a wall (possibly the entire wall :D)
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Splendid !
    wings.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2009
    It looks like you had quite a trip. The photos are fantastic as usual, and yes, what a difference a little bit of snow makes! If I had to choose, my favorites of this batch would be the first three.
    Now I'll go and see your other threads. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    40 hours without sleep, 18 of them driving. Take care of you so you can keep shooting for a long, long time Ron. These are all stupid good.bowdown.gif
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    These are all stupid good.bowdown.gif

What he said! Breath-taking.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Great story and excellent photos bowdown.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    As always absolutely wonderful images Ron.

I love #1 - beautiful colours, it shows what a little patience (and not a little talent) can deliver.
    I'd definitely put that on a wall (possibly the entire wall :D)

Thanks! It was very cool seeing it in person, hopefully some of that came through in the photo. Definitely the best sunset I've seen in the Tetons (I've never gotten fantastic sunrises or sunsets there, but the scenery can often compensate, this was my first legitimate jaw-dropping sunset).
    edited October 17, 2009
    Splendid !
    wings.gif

Thanks Awais! Definitely worth the 10 degree temperatures!
    edited October 17, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    It looks like you had quite a trip. The photos are fantastic as usual, and yes, what a difference a little bit of snow makes! If I had to choose, my favorites of this batch would be the first three.
    Now I'll go and see your other threads. :D

Ana

Thanks Ana! I got extremely lucky with the snow, I couldn't have timed the trip any better.
    edited October 17, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    40 hours without sleep, 18 of them driving. Take care of you so you can keep shooting for a long, long time Ron. These are all stupid good.bowdown.gif

Thanks Dan - don't worry about me, I'm young and have stamina lol3.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Great work Ronthumb.gif

There is nothing better than a warm cup-a-java in one hand and the wheel in the other, on the way to shoot sunrise. The colors look splendid.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Ron-
    Love the colors in #2 & #3 and the reflection in #5. Hopefully I'll be visiting that area next year. Beautiful pictures!!

Stephanie
    edited October 17, 2009
    Great work Ronthumb.gif

There is nothing better than a warm cup-a-java in one hand and the wheel in the other, on the way to shoot sunrise. The colors look splendid.

Thanks Marc - totally agree, although replace the coffee with a coke for me (I'm the only person in Seattle who doesn't drink coffee!). I actually enjoy the long drives in the dark with no traffic and a few hours of music from my iPod, getting out of the car, always being a little surprised at how cold it actually is out there, stumbling and fumbling around in the dark under the stars and my headlamp, waiting for the first light of dawn to illuminate the subject, and hoping I don't run into any bears or a bull elk in the process (until it's light enough for me to see and photograph them!). Every time I see Mt. Rainier in the dark I'm always a little bit in awe of it, same thing out on the beaches when the waves are crashing in and it's only me and a few nocturnal critters about. That's the feeling that keeps me going back, the photos are just a means of attempting to share that with other people (and failing, often, to convey it but once in awhile being successful at it).
    edited October 17, 2009
    Ron-
    Love the colors in #2 & #3 and the reflection in #5. Hopefully I'll be visiting that area next year. Beautiful pictures!!

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie, you'll love it!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Fantastic series, wonderful colors. Number 2 is simply remarkable. And your story, wow, we should all aspire be that hardcore! bowdown.gif
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Ron, your Oxbow sunset shot is awesome, definately my favorite shot of the group. clap.gif

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
    edited October 25, 2009
    Ron, your Oxbow sunset shot is awesome, definately my favorite shot of the group. clap.gif

Kristine

Thanks Kristine, that was the first time I had decent color at sunset in the Tetons, and it was awesome. I love that place.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    amazing, #1 iloveyou.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • boneywhitefootboneywhitefoot Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Most Americans simply dont know whats right on their doorstep.
    wish I could see all of that for real and more.
    beautiful shots of a fantastic place.
    God made two great lights; the sun to rule by day and the moon to rule by night. He also made the stars.
    And He set them all in the heavens to give light upon the earth; And God saw that it was good.

Ive seen the light and it is indeed very good

http://www.lightchasers-nz.com/
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 26, 2009
    Really great series Ron. I haven't been to Yellowstone in many years. I'm definitely due for a trip sometime soon.

-joel
  • Howe Creative PhotographyHowe Creative Photography Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Those are amazing! I love them!!!
    Bridget:ivar

Nikon D80
    Nikon D300s (on it's way)
    Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
    Tamron 18-200mm
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    some lights and backgrounds

• kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    As always, you've managed to capture the subtle color, mood and textures of the mountains in such beautiful compositions.

I haven't visited dgrin in a while, but I have continued to tell people about your work, as it always makes an impression on me. You're by far my favorite landscape photog on these forums, and if I could learn to take landscapes like yours, I will die happy. Seriously. Thank you for continuing to post your work here. I think I speak for everyone.

bowdown.gif

p.s. I think it was from your Seattle-scapes that I figured out the 12th ave bridge location, where I've taken some of my favorite shots to date. So thank you for that too. )
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    edited October 26, 2009
    kitvan wrote:
    As always, you've managed to capture the subtle color, mood and textures of the mountains in such beautiful compositions.

I haven't visited dgrin in a while, but I have continued to tell people about your work, as it always makes an impression on me. You're by far my favorite landscape photog on these forums, and if I could learn to take landscapes like yours, I will die happy. Seriously. Thank you for continuing to post your work here. I think I speak for everyone.

bowdown.gif

p.s. I think it was from your Seattle-scapes that I figured out the 12th ave bridge location, where I've taken some of my favorite shots to date. So thank you for that too. )

I'm not at the level where I can give advice with any authority, but the one thing I can say with some confidence is the best way to get better is to just go out and shoot and learn from your mistakes and successes. I've found that I've never regretted going out of my way for a photo opportunity even if it doesn't pan out, but I've often regretted not going out. And if you live near Seattle, there are so many amazing places within a short drive that you'll never run out of opportunities.

Everyone else - thanks for the comments. If you haven't seen Yellowstone or the Tetons in person and have the chance you should definitely take it.
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Awesome series! bowdown.gif
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    They are all great shots. My favorite is #10.
    Dale Childress
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    absolutely beautiful colors, I especially like #2 and 3. clap.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    DECinNC wrote:
    They are all great shots. My favorite is #10.

I assume that's binary and you mean #2 in decimal, either way, thanks! :D