Options

Maslow's Triangle

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Not exactly but almost, if you don't know Maslow's hierarchy of needs check it on wikipedia

675185418_iaZSc-L.jpg
Shot this picture about 2 years ago in Lahore it is from same day when i shot the "Flying high" photo.
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I know it well. Very cool Awaisclap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I know it well. Very cool Awaisclap.gif

Hey Dan, if i am not wrong you are related to training and management stuffmwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Powerful. Well done thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Hey Dan, if i am not wrong you are related to training and management stuffmwink.gif

Yes. I have been practicing Organizational Effectiveness for more years than I care to admit Awais, and I do a substantial amount of leadership training.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Having read the wikipedia reference, I assume your title refers to the photo and not the photographer... ne_nau.gif

Seriously, though, this is a powerful photo. Your angle is perfect as is your timing for the passerby.

Kudos!
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Not exactly but almost, if you don't know Maslow's hierarchy of needs check it on wikipedia

675185418_iaZSc-L.jpg
    Shot this picture about 2 years ago in Lahore it is from same day when i shot the "Flying high" photo.

Okay - as many of you know, one of the very few 'rules' I have in my classes is the "no bums" rule. I tell my students that I do not want to see photos of homeless people for a number of reasons: they generally are taking advantage of their subjects; the photos are "cheap" - that is they are attempts at drama that aren't dramatic and tell us nothing; photos of homeless people are cliche's. There are, however, exceptions to the rule, and the two main exceptions are photos of the homeless in which you really engage with your subject; spend time with them; get to know them, and tell us about them with your photographs. OR - photos that approach the subject in a different way, that show contrasts, ambiguity. And this is one of the latter.

Really, really good, strong image, Awais! Nice work!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif 2
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Great photo, triangles within triangles and great use of space. I really liked what B.D. had to say except I was so surprised he did not suggest black and white ;-))

Nice work Awais. You are building a nice portfolio of your world.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay - as many of you know, one of the very few 'rules' I have in my classes is the "no bums" rule. I tell my students that I do not want to see photos of homeless people for a number of reasons: they generally are taking advantage of their subjects; the photos are "cheap" - that is they are attempts at drama that aren't dramatic and tell us nothing; photos of homeless people are cliche's. There are, however, exceptions to the rule, and the two main exceptions are photos of the homeless in which you really engage with your subject; spend time with them; get to know them, and tell us about them with your photographs. OR - photos that approach the subject in a different way, that show contrasts, ambiguity. And this is one of the latter.

Really, really good, strong image, Awais! Nice work!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif 2

I agree with everything said above. I also have a problem with photos of the homeless and the more unfortunate among us - and am glad to see it stated as B.D. has here.
    I also agree that this is more than just one more exploitative, opportunistic photo - it's documentary in its highest form; both creative and sensitive, very well done.
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I hate just saying "me too" but what else is there? Fantastic shot, as usual, Awais! clap.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    bdcolen summed it up right there, so ... yeah, "me too".
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Hello,
    thanks everyone for appreciating my effort. bowdown.gif

My Gallery