Canon 40D Batteries

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 20, 2009 in Cameras
I use a 40D w/grip and a few weeks ago I attempted to charge a couple of batteries and on the charger they almost immediately appeared fully charged. When I placed them into the 40D w/grip they were flat. I decided to buy another couple of batteries and when they arrived I once again tried the old batteries in the charger and for some reason they fully charged. Everything has been going ok but I now find I am having the same problem with the two batteries and the two new ones. They appear fully charged on the battery charger but when I put them in the battery grip they are flat. I have another two fully charged batteries but I feel when they run down I will end up with all six batteries being uncharged. Has anyone experienced this problem? As I say I initially thought it was the batteries at fault but I am now having my doubts and could it be the charger?
Regards
Bob

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I use a 40D w/grip and a few weeks ago I attempted to charge a couple of batteries and on the charger they almost immediately appeared fully charged. When I placed them into the 40D w/grip they were flat. I decided to buy another couple of batteries and when they arrived I once again tried the old batteries in the charger and for some reason they fully charged. Everything has been going ok but I now find I am having the same problem with the two batteries and the two new ones. They appear fully charged on the battery charger but when I put them in the battery grip they are flat. I have another two fully charged batteries but I feel when they run down I will end up with all six batteries being uncharged. Has anyone experienced this problem? As I say I initially thought it was the batteries at fault but I am now having my doubts and could it be the charger?
    Regards
    Bob

3d party batteries? I had seven of them, pretty much half of them ended up in the same state as yours: charger doesn't want to charge them, but camera shows them empty. I finally decided to pay the price and only work with genuine Canon ones. They are more expensive, but you don't need that many of them either. In my current state (two bodies, both with the grips) I have 6 genuine canon batteries (2x2 in the grips and 2 spares) and this is all I need.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    3d party batteries? I had seven of them, pretty much half of them ended up in the same state as yours: charger doesn't want to charge them, but camera shows them empty. I finally decided to pay the price and only work with genuine Canon ones. They are more expensive, but you don't need that many of them either. In my current state (two bodies, both with the grips) I have 6 genuine canon batteries (2x2 in the grips and 2 spares) and this is all I need.
    HTH

Thanks ever so much for replying. The two batteries that initially showed charged and revealed uncharged in the grip were the two expensive original Canon batteries. I have used them from day one and I initially thought they had seen their day. After I had bought two on the internet at a much cheaper price the initial two started to recharge ok and have done for the past 3 months. But they are all doing the same now with the exception of my other two batteries I bought on the internet, and they are fully charged but I feel once they run down the same will happen. I find it very strange for four batteries to go the same way all at once if you know what I mean.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited October 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks ever so much for replying. The two batteries that initially showed charged and revealed uncharged in the grip were the two expensive original Canon batteries. I have used them from day one and I initially thought they had seen their day. After I had bought two on the internet at a much cheaper price the initial two started to recharge ok and have done for the past 3 months. But they are all doing the same now with the exception of my other two batteries I bought on the internet, and they are fully charged but I feel once they run down the same will happen. I find it very strange for four batteries to go the same way all at once if you know what I mean.
    Regards
    Bob
    If you bought them "cheap" you prolly got a knock-offs... I only buy from a reputable source (B&H, Adorama, Ritz, Tallyn, etc)
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob

The first pair stopped taking a charge, and then started working again?

Sounds to me like you might have a charger issue, try cleaning the contacts on it and all batteries. You could borrow another charger to see if that would work.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited October 17, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    The first pair stopped taking a charge, and then started working again?

Sounds to me like you might have a charger issue, try cleaning the contacts on it and all batteries. You could borrow another charger to see if that would work.

Yes Pyry you are probably right. What is the best way to go about cleaning the three wee bits on the charger and also the batteries as I have been told I must never touch the main contacts.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited October 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Yes Pyry you are probably right. What is the best way to go about cleaning the three wee bits on the charger and also the batteries as I have been told I must never touch the main contacts.
    Cheers
    Bob

Pencil eraser and/or q-tips with some solvent. And you'll require a needle to hold the charger contacts from moving down.
    Creativity's hard.

edited October 17, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Pencil eraser and/or q-tips with some solvent. And you'll require a needle to hold the charger contacts from moving down.

Thanks I have just tried that and there is no change. My gut feeling still tells me it is a charger problem because it is doing it to all four batteries. I will be taking it into Jessops on Monday to see what they say.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited October 18, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks I have just tried that and there is no change. My gut feeling still tells me it is a charger problem because it is doing it to all four batteries. I will be taking it into Jessops on Monday to see what they say.
    Regards
    Bob

I apologise for wasting everyone's time but I have found the problem. I knew it had to be the charger. There are four contacts on the charger and I discovered that one of the contacts had stuck down. Once released with a pin and brought the contact up it is now working fine.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited October 18, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I apologise for wasting everyone's time but I have found the problem. I knew it had to be the charger. There are four contacts on the charger and I discovered that one of the contacts had stuck down. Once released with a pin and brought the contact up it is now working fine.
    Regards
    Bob

That'd do it :D

Which pin was it? I'm guessing one of smaller pair?
    Creativity's hard.

edited October 18, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    That'd do it :D

Which pin was it? I'm guessing one of smaller pair?

There are four in all. No it was the one on the extreme left. To be honest I never really noticed it even when I did the eraser cleaning as you suggested.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Try sterlingtek.com for future 3rd party batteries. You won't be sorry mwink.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited October 18, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Try sterlingtek.com for future 3rd party batteries. You won't be sorry mwink.gif
    Jim...
    YMMV, but I was...ne_nau.gif Knockofff is a knockoff is a knockoff, sterlingtek or not...rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 18, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    YMMV, but I was...ne_nau.gif Knockofff is a knockoff is a knockoff, sterlingtek or not...rolleyes1.gif

NEVER had a problem with any 3rd party battery I purchased from sterlingtek.com, whether it was for my camcorders or digital cameras, and I've spent about $200 on batteries over a 6 yr period. NEVER buy batteries off e-bay. That's where you'll have trouble.
    Jim...
    edited October 18, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    NEVER had a problem with any 3rd party battery I purchased from sterlingtek.com, whether it was for my camcorders or digital cameras, and I've spent about $200 on batteries over a 6 yr period. NEVER buy batteries off e-bay. That's where you'll have trouble.
    Jim...

Thanks Jim I would totally agree with you. I have bought mine direct from Amazon.co.uk and they are more than a third cheaper than Jessops or Canon or anywhere else and they have worked ok for me so you are certainly right. Why pay more when you don't have to. Everything else is expensive in our game.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited October 18, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Jim I would totally agree with you. I have bought mine direct from Amazon.co.uk and they are more than a third cheaper than Jessops or Canon or anywhere else and they have worked ok for me so you are certainly right. Why pay more when you don't have to. Everything else is expensive in our game.
    Regards
    Bob
    thumb.gif
    Have a good evening Bob :D
    Jim...
    edited October 19, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    thumb.gif
    Have a good evening Bob :D
    Jim...

Cheers Jim I certainly will now I have sorted the problem.
    Regards
    Bob
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Jim...

I tried Sterlingtek for batteries for my Sony A700. They are half the price of Sony batteries, but give less than half the images the Sony batteries do, so no savings. Sterlingtek is a great place to purchase battery chargers, though.

Wayne
    edited October 19, 2009
    wayne861 wrote:
    I tried Sterlingtek for batteries for my Sony A700. They are half the price of Sony batteries, but give less than half the images the Sony batteries do, so no savings. Sterlingtek is a great place to purchase battery chargers, though.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I use Amazon.co.uk. Have you considered the prices on Amazon? I have found their batteries are excellent.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited October 19, 2009
    wayne861 wrote:

Wayne
    Good Evening,
    The original Canon BP11A batteries, 7.2v 1390 mAh, are $69.99 at Bestbuy.com. You can buy a 2 pack of 7.2v 2000mAh batteries for $23.98 that includes a 1 year warranty at sterlingtek.com. Here is the link: http://sterlingtek.com/twocabp18bap.html I get more shots from my sterlingtek battery, then from my original Canon battery.
    Jim...
  • CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening,
    The original Canon BP11A batteries, 7.2v 1390 mAh, are $69.99 at Bestbuy.com. You can buy a 2 pack of 7.2v 2000mAh batteries for $23.98 that includes a 1 year warranty at sterlingtek.com. Here is the link: http://sterlingtek.com/twocabp18bap.html I get more shots from my sterlingtek battery, then from my original Canon battery.
    Jim...

+1

I have been using BP-511 batteries since I got my Canon G2 many moons ago. I still have the original batteries from that camera and they still work fine! Since then, I have bought 6 more BP511s from Sterlingtek and the 3rd party batteries actually deliver more pictures per charge than the factory Canon batteries. thumb.gif
    edited October 20, 2009
    +1

I have been using BP-511 batteries since I got my Canon G2 many moons ago. I still have the original batteries from that camera and they still work fine! Since then, I have bought 6 more BP511s from Sterlingtek and the 3rd party batteries actually deliver more pictures per charge than the factory Canon batteries. thumb.gif

Well I never who would have thought that.
    Regards
    Bob