My First PS Merge

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Landscapes
I know it's not a big deal for all you PS gurus, but for me it is a "breakthrough"

Give me your honest candid critique.

683584666_Z3AHk-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I know it's not a big deal for all you PS gurus, but for me it is a "breakthrough"
    Give me your honest candid critique.
    Very nice, Dan! thumb.gif
    I think hill edges are burnt a bit too much, but this is hard to overcome...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Wow Dan, it looks great! Don't know enough about PS merging to be of much help for a critique on your technique though.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    WOOHOO! Yeah there's some dark stuff there (a common problem, the other common thing is bright halos) but you're definitely on the right track, and this is a better shot (IMO) than you'd get with Photomatix. I'm still getting the hang of manual exposure blends myself, and I don't know if I'll ever be perfect at it, but you're now at the 90% stage, the last 10% takes a long time, but sometimes the 90% is all you need to achieve the right result.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    WOOHOO! Yeah there's some dark stuff there (a common problem, the other common thing is bright halos) but you're definitely on the right track, and this is a better shot (IMO) than you'd get with Photomatix. I'm still getting the hang of manual exposure blends myself, and I don't know if I'll ever be perfect at it, but you're now at the 90% stage, the last 10% takes a long time, but sometimes the 90% is all you need to achieve the right result.

Thanks.thumb.gif I get that Ron, but at least I now know how to operationally make blends.
  • Rob ZijlstraRob Zijlstra Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Dan,
    I don't know how you did it, but for me it's one of the finest shots I saw lately!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Rob Zijlstra

http://zijlstra.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D700 & some (new & old) NIKON glass
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Nicely done! Yes, you do have some dark halos here and there. I've found using a Wacom tablet instead of a mouse can help you reduce these when drawing the masks.
    edited October 18, 2009
    Dan,
    I don't know how you did it, but for me it's one of the finest shots I saw lately!
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rob.
    edited October 19, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Nicely done! Yes, you do have some dark halos here and there. I've found using a Wacom tablet instead of a mouse can help you reduce these when drawing the masks.

Thanks Bryan. I'll check that out:D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 19, 2009
    Wow! Looks good to me! thumb.gif

-joel
  • SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Which blend technique did you use? I have been playing with blending as well and Phtomatix generally does not give me what I am looking for!
  • RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    WOW! Looking great to me! I´d like to get similar results using Photomatix but generally I end up with very small number of keepers... still so much to learn...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    Rui<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
    edited October 19, 2009
    Spinney wrote:
    Which blend technique did you use? I have been playing with blending as well and Phtomatix generally does not give me what I am looking for!

I am a Photomatix user myself, but I did this in Photoshop.

1. Two exposures one over the other

2. Create a layer mask

3. Paint brush to blend