I Know Things Are Tough, But.....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is an honest-to-goodness, functional, and open-for-business U.S. Government installation. Lord help us all.

683639066_Rt8Am-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    At least you know your taxes aren't going for frivolous facility costs there. Almost looks like those trees to the right rear of the building are coming through the roof!

Nice shot and colors!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    This is an honest-to-goodness, functional, and open-for-business U.S. Government installation. Lord help us all.

683639066_Rt8Am-XL.jpg

Looks like they put all their annual budget into the mailbox...

Nice!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Too cool Tom thumb.gif Looks like they've been there since the days of the 3 cent stamp :D
    You sure do get around to some interesting places.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Very interesting pic! I bet they have more integrity than those in the bigger buildings!:D
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

What a great find, and I'll bet they still give that personal service that we all used to take for granted.

Neat Shot, looks like the leaves were turning for you on your trip.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Hey Andrew,

You're right about that. Nothing frivolous here. Thanks for the comment.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Better check to see if that's a 50 star flag :D Great shot.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
    edited October 17, 2009
    rainbow...

You're absolutely correct. They got that box new this year. Otherwise, that place hasn't changed a bit in the 20+ years I've been seeing it.

Tom
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Better it be a post office than a police station. rolleyes1.gif

Beautiful shot, Tom! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited October 17, 2009
    Hey Jack,

This shot was taken in Penland, NC. A little further on up the mountain is one of this country's most celebrated....and absolutely most isolated... craft schools where they teach woodworking skills, glass blowing, metal crafting, etc. It's a fabulous place. They have a combo museum/gallery on site where some really fine art ( much of it generated at the school ) is offered for sale. They had a truly unique glass flower arrangement for sale that I wanted badly. The $30,000 price tag, however, sent me packing.

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 17, 2009
    Hi Eia,

I think you're right about the integrity thing. I find that to be so in general with all the folks who inhabit the wonderful Appalachian Mountains.

Take care,

Tom
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Hey Jack,

This shot was taken in Penland, NC.
    Take care,

Tom

looks just like the ones that dotted the landscape thru out rural Ks, Ok, Ar & Mo that I saw a a child when visitng relatives.....reminds me of one near a failed town in the very early 70's that was called Soul City.....if I remember correctly the plantation that was to be turned inot the town was in N.C. as we took a drive to Virginia Beach and back in less than one day............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 18, 2009
    Hey Craig,

The mountains are full of wonderful finds like this. When you spend as much time as I do cruising the backroads, you can't help but stumble on some interesting stuff. I get into some places that look like they could have been scenes from " Deliverance ".

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 18, 2009
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking in and for the comment.

Tom
    edited October 18, 2009
    Hi Lee,

The last police station in that neck of the woods burned down a couple of years ago. They just up and disbanded the force.....turned it over to the county, I guess. Things go a little differently in " them thar hills ".

Tom
    edited October 18, 2009
    Hi Art,

Good to hear from you. What have you been shooting lately?

Take care,

Tom