Options

Samantha with dreamy bokeh

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in People
I've never quite seen bokeh like this. Just a grab shot of Samantha after her soccer game today. That's just the grass from the field behind her.

683677345_nMRwp-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Sweet. What lens/setting?
    Nature's green screen.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    What a cutie, I'm very jealous of her hair!! Now that is really cool how you got her hair band to match the bkg!!
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    That shot made me stop breathing there for a second! Great shot!clap.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Wow - you're not kiddding! Presumably this was the D700, but which lens?

Samantha adorable as usual - she just eats the camera up!
  • Options
    ZecksonZeckson Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    To have this kind of bokeh, the use of a medium telephoto lens is necessary. It also depends on the distance between the subject-to-lens and background-to-lens. In generally, the following lenses were suspected:
    • 50mm f/1.4
    • 85mm f/1.8
    • 85mm f/1.4
    • 85mm f/1.2

If telephoto or super telephoto lenses were used, I am sure the hair would also be in focused. Camera has nothing to do with bokeh smoothness. Its the lens aperture, the number of blades in the lens, the focal length used, the distance from the subject to the camera and the distance from the background to the camera that contributes to the bokeh characteristics. :)
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    I am not a photographer.
    Zeckson's Image Boulevard
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Zeckson wrote:
    To have this kind of bokeh, the use of a medium telephoto lens is necessary. It also depends on the distance between the subject-to-lens and background-to-lens. In generally, the following lenses were suspected:
    • 50mm f/1.4
    • 85mm f/1.8
    • 85mm f/1.4
    • 85mm f/1.2
    If telephoto or super telephoto lenses were used, I am sure the hair would also be in focused. Camera has nothing to do with bokeh smoothness. Its the lens aperture, the number of blades in the lens, the focal length used, the distance from the subject to the camera and the distance from the background to the camera that contributes to the bokeh characteristics. :)

zeckson..camera sensor size determines the framing of the shot which determines the distance. compare a crop sensor shot and the exact same shot with full frame. full frame will have shallower DOF ie "more" bokeh ..loosely speaking
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ZecksonZeckson Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    zeckson..camera sensor size determines the framing of the shot which determines the distance. compare a crop sensor shot and the exact same shot with full frame. full frame will have shallower DOF ie "more" bokeh ..loosely speaking

Agree. :)
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    I am not a photographer.
    Zeckson's Image Boulevard
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    This was taken with my favorite portrait lens... 300mm, f2.8. The shot was at f2.8 on the D700.

Thanks for all the kind words.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    This was taken with my favorite portrait lens... 300mm, f2.8. The shot was at f2.8 on the D700.

Thanks for all the kind words.

So you were what, half a mile away?! :giggle

Of course, that's one of the reasons we looovveess tele lenses. It's so purty when you nail it ! Do you have incredibly steady hands, or does the lens have come kind of is/vc/whatever the heck Nikon calls it?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    So you were what, half a mile away?! :giggle

Of course, that's one of the reasons we looovveess tele lenses. It's so purty when you nail it ! Do you have incredibly steady hands, or does the lens have come kind of is/vc/whatever the heck Nikon calls it?

DM, my hands are pretty steady, but you don't really need steady hands or VR (which this lens has) when you shoot at 1/2000!

I handheld this shot, but for long soccer games, I usually use this beast on a monopod with the VR off.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    DM, my hands are pretty steady, but you don't really need steady hands or VR (which this lens has) when you shoot at 1/2000!

I handheld this shot, but for long soccer games, I usually use this beast on a monopod with the VR off.

Yeah but at 2.8 I'm just seriously impressed you nailed both eyes - man, I SERIOUSLY have to work on my handholding because this is the look I love, but I seldom manage to get that sliver of dof perfectly on the mark. My 200 2.8 is so darned sharp IF I nail the focus point....which I find really hard to do. Do you have a particular technique? I mean at 2.8/300mm it's amazing that you got her eyes and "mask" perfectly sharp bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Just beautiful!
    I really like this shot. Well done. thumb.gif
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Yeah but at 2.8 I'm just seriously impressed you nailed both eyes - man, I SERIOUSLY have to work on my handholding because this is the look I love, but I seldom manage to get that sliver of dof perfectly on the mark. My 200 2.8 is so darned sharp IF I nail the focus point....which I find really hard to do. Do you have a particular technique? I mean at 2.8/300mm it's amazing that you got her eyes and "mask" perfectly sharp bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

With a shutter speed of 2000 that is not hard to do. Even if he used a 400, 2000 would be more then fast enough.

I have to say again though, it is an awesome picture!clap.gifclapclap.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    With a shutter speed of 2000 that is not hard to do. Even if he used a 400, 2000 would be more then fast enough.

I have to say again though, it is an awesome picture!clap.gifclapclap.gif

It'll be fast enough, but it won't put that focus point in the right place without a very steady hand and eye! I was referring to the accuracy with very shallow DOF rather than motion blur which, of course, at high speeds isn't an issue :D
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Love the dreamy bokeh and love that cute little face Mitchell! That little girl is going to be so happy when she has all these great pictures to look at when she is older.

And Diva.... I have worked hard on nailing the eyes thing. Single focus point directiy between, and when shooting on 2.8 I put the iso up to sometimes 800 dependant on light conditions thus being able to keep my speed up and hand hold the big lens.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    It'll be fast enough, but it won't put that focus point in the right place without a very steady hand and eye! I was referring to the accuracy with very shallow DOF rather than motion blur which, of course, at high speeds isn't an issue :D

Well, in that case I guess I should say that....you are right! clap.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    :jawdrop clap.gif Awesome shot. And cute as a button.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/