Some IR from the the Shootout...

CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Landscapes
...plus a couple color ones

Liz and I had a great time on this Shootout and are very much looking forward to next year's.

1) Thunder Hole at sunrise

681290163_VvWMe-L.jpg

2) Seal Harbor

682010403_cp26K-L.jpg

3) Schoodic Peninsula

683671242_7vXKJ-L.jpg

4) Bucksport, Maine - Liz and I snuck(?) down here on Saturday when the weather wasn't cooperating, or so we thought, in Acadia. Had all intentions of going bowling (yeah, I know "bowling during the shootout?" but we're in a very competitive league at home) The skies opened up when we got to Bucksport where we ended up spending a couple hours getting some shots. Off to the right of this view are the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Fort Knox. Never did get the bowling in and for those interested Bucksport's bowling alley, from what I heard, is duckpin only.

682009533_nhWAx-L.jpg

5)Schoodic Peninsula

683505565_oVeiu-L.jpg

6) Thunder Hole at Sunrise - I remember Marc and Fred W on the far left and Dan Plumer in the middle on the right.

683506376_sw8vG-L.jpg

More IR images from the Shootout and our journey to it
http://www.cavalierphotographic.com/Chris/Infrared-Photography/DGrin-Shootout-2009-CIR/9959383_94JLt/1/681274192_dk4VG

More color images
http://www.cavalierphotographic.com/Chris/Color-Photography/DGrin-Shootout-2009-CC/9959418_iDyd2/1/683503268_LPXti

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Chris-

I really like #2 at Seal Harbor!

Glad to see you made it over to the Schoodic Penninsula side for some of your other pictures. That is where I spend at least a week every summer. On clear days you can get some really neat pictures of Mount Desert Island. While we were up there, there wasn't much of a surf, but if you hit is right you can get some awesome pictures of crashing waves at Schoodic Point. I was planning on stopping at Bucksport on my way home and when I ran into Liz at Jordan Pond she told me you had been there that day and that it was worth a trip. I was not disappointed. I'll be stopping there with my boys this summer so we can go up in the bridge tower and I also think they would like exploring in Fort Knox. It was nice meeting you. See you next year.

Stephanie
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Nice set of pics Chris !!!!

I like #1 best for composition, #3 for IR, and #6 for color.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

You got me thinking....maybe I should do an IR mod on my G9. :D
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Great photos! I had my R72 filter at the shootout but I forgot to do any IRs. 11doh.gif

I really like #2. thumb.gifthumb
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I'm not normally a fan of IR, but #2 could make a convert out of me! :D

The sunset shot with the people silhouetted is very nice!
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    #2 is really fine. #1 is a nice composition, but my immediate reaction to it is that it needs more contrast.

I'm glad to see some more IR shots here. I'm just learning to do IR myself. I've taken a few shots that I like (my gallery is here), but I'm currently limited to my 50mm prime lens because I only have a 52mm IR filter (Hoya RM-72).
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Thanks guys!

Fred I say go for it...you won't be disappointed.

Craig a 50mm was the only lens I had for several years and can't think of a better all around lens to play with. I never did mess around with digital IR and filters. I went straight from film IR to an IR modded digital and it's been my primary camera since.

Stephanie, Schoodic and Bucksport are definitely high on my list during a return trip.

Dan, it was pretty gray the whole time so I was having to be very opportunistic with my IR shots. I'm looking forward to your film shots...:lurk

Thwack, thanks for the comments...I don't shoot much other than IR so it's reassuring to know I can pull a nice color shot every now and then :D