Zion

davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Landscapes
I was able to spend a few days camping in Zion this week. It was cloudy each day, but there was the start of some fall colors mostly at the top.

I hesitate to even post any of my shots because there have been so many fantastic Zion shots posted on this forum...but I am a glutton for punishment so here it goes.

I would appreciate comments.

Thanks everyone for looking.

Dave

1. - My version of a fairly iconic shot location

p708211990-4.jpg

2. Another of Watchman

2. p905238248-4.jpg

3. And a third

p1033062478-4.jpg

4. Fall Colors

p551453927-4.jpg

5. More fall colors

p1065547074-4.jpg

p581206954-4.jpg

7. Finally - Fun in the narrows with my boys.

p1067157640-4.jpg

Constructive comments will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
Dave

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    You know, when I did the iconic shot about a month ago I was so excited to get some awesome colors in the sky, and then Mahesh came along with a great scene and so did you - maybe it's not that uncommon! My favorite comp is the first one. There are some minor masking artifacts (a dark black line along the top), but I still think they turned out well.

Those fall colors are pretty sweet too, are they peaking earlier than normal this year? From what I read Nov 1 is usually around peak. I might have to check the flights to Las Vegas if they're going to peak earlier than that.

When I did the narrows hike (up to Wall Street) the deepest portion was just above my waist, it looks a lot deeper now, and probably a lot colder!
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Ron - and for pointing out the artifact - I will get in and clean that up.

I had my two boys with me so we did not make it all the way up to Wall Street in the narrows. I did not want to have to carry two whiny boys out that last 3 miles!

The colors were turning fairly well at the top of Zion but only in the bottoms of crevases. At the bottom of Zion some of the cottonwoods were starting to turn yellow - but that was about all. I think the leaves are turning little earlier than normal.

Unfortunately I saved going up top for fall color shots for the last day - and I had a camera battery failure that left me with no power after only a few shots. I brought two fully charged batteries on the trip, but one died after only a couple of shots, and the other lasts only about 200 shots. I therefore was not able to do much with the fall colors - I was really pissed. Time for two new batteries...

I am impressed you got great shots at both Wall Street and Subway in only a 3 day trip - those are both great spots that are not easy to get to. Subway is on my list for next trip - but that one will be without kids.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Dave
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Very nice stuff. #s 1, 2, and 4 are superb. I think #3 is not framed as well as #1; the extra tree space on the right doesn't add anything, and the river is weakened by not sweeping from almost the right edge back to the bottom-left corner. #1 is stronger in other ways too -- the low sunlight on the peak in #1 is majestic, and the brighter sky in #3 sort of overshadows the mountains.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks dlplumer-
    craig_d wrote:
    ... I think #3 is not framed as well as #1; the extra tree space on the right doesn't add anything, and the river is weakened by not sweeping from almost the right edge back to the bottom-left corner. #1 is stronger in other ways too -- the low sunlight on the peak in #1 is majestic, and the brighter sky in #3 sort of overshadows the mountains.

Craig - thanks for the comparison between these two shots. I had been trying to make up my mind between those two, and now see and agree with your perspective. #3 was taken about 20 minutes after #1 - so #1 also had the better light.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to comment.

Dave