2)
4020360897_c7974d3f1f_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    #2 is a nice scene, but my eyes keep wanting to look at the woman in front who is looking off to the left, and she's practically the only thing in the shot that's OOF.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    #2 is a nice scene, but my eyes keep wanting to look at the woman in front who is looking off to the left, and she's practically the only thing in the shot that's OOF.
    Thanks for the comment, Craig. I have half a dozen versions of this shot in which that OOF woman is not there but this is the one I kept coming back to. For me she gave the eye some foundation I think. Is her presence a bad thing for you or just an observation?
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks for the comment, Craig. I have half a dozen versions of this shot in which that OOF woman is not there but this is the one I kept coming back to. For me she gave the eye some foundation I think. Is her presence a bad thing for you or just an observation?

I think her presence is a plus. The way she's up front and near-center, looking off to the side like that, seems to imply a story in a way that nobody else in the shot does. Without her it's just a street full of people, none of them really strong enough to focus on. She gives it human interest. The picture seems to want to be about her. I just wish she were in focus, but this is one of those split-second things where you need incredible luck to capture it just right unless your name is Cartier-Bresson.

• Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    The picture seems to want to be about her.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    craig_d wrote:

And you can't look at something out of focus...why? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Two good images, Travis - both of which beg for close scrutiny.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Craig, thanks for the further explanation.

Thanks, tortilla and B.D., for the support! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    And you can't look at something out of focus...why?

In other words, it's better this way? Hmm. Well, one can certainly point to examples of great photographs where there is an artistic reason for the focal point of interest not to be in sharp focus. And the fact that she's the only thing OOF in the whole picture does set her off from the background. You could be right. But once my attention is drawn to her, I want to see her more clearly than is possible in this shot. Maybe if I could, I'd be disappointed?

I just now notice that while the OOF woman may be black (I think she is, but it's hard to be sure since her face is shadowed and her features do not seem to be strongly African), everyone else whose face can be seen is white, and overall the picture has a lot of light tones (the sky, the buildings, the awnings, etc.). That, together with her being the only thing OOF in the picture, could be taken to suggest a social commentary, though perhaps a somewhat outdated one at this point.

Another thing that I realize I haven't mentioned about this shot is that I really like that it's in B&W. The featureless white sky makes me think of early photos shot with emulsions that were only sensitive to blue, where the photographer had to blow out the sky to get a good exposure of the ground. (Being sensitive to only one color could be seen as part of the social commentary too, though a rather obscure and technical aspect that nobody but other photographers would catch.)

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    In other words, it's better this way? Hmm. Well, one can certainly point to examples of great photographs where there is an artistic reason for the focal point of interest not to be in sharp focus. And the fact that she's the only thing OOF in the whole picture does set her off from the background. You could be right. But once my attention is drawn to her, I want to see her more clearly than is possible in this shot. Maybe if I could, I'd be disappointed?

I just now notice that while the OOF woman may be black (I think she is, but it's hard to be sure since her face is shadowed and her features do not seem to be strongly African), everyone else whose face can be seen is white, and overall the picture has a lot of light tones (the sky, the buildings, the awnings, etc.). That, together with her being the only thing OOF in the picture, could be taken to suggest a social commentary, though perhaps a somewhat outdated one at this point.

Another thing that I realize I haven't mentioned about this shot is that I really like that it's in B&W. The featureless white sky makes me think of early photos shot with emulsions that were only sensitive to blue, where the photographer had to blow out the sky to get a good exposure of the ground. (Being sensitive to only one color could be seen as part of the social commentary too, though a rather obscure and technical aspect that nobody but other photographers would catch.)

I'd suggest you're reading much to much into the fact that there's someone out of focus in the foreground, especially when there is so much going on in the image further back - like the woman on the cell phone in the center of the image, or the two people connected on the left, or any number of other people in this image, or the overall scene. I don't know that the image is about her, so much as she is passing through it.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed